PDA

View Full Version : A partridge in a pear tree....

dalej
02-29-2008, 03:47 PM
10 new shocks, 8 new air springs, 4 new leveling valves and 4 new 8D Lifeline house batteries. Does it get any better then this for a do-it-yourself guy?

I know....paying for the parts won't be so good!

ps

The air springs are dated 5/95, the 8D batteries are dated 12/98 so I got some good use out of them. The shocks aren't dated, just thought I would change while in there, I think they are original equipment. Had manual level low and change to solenoid valves with toggle switches

Jon Wehrenberg
02-29-2008, 04:48 PM
You had one of the coaches modified to have 4 shocks on the front axle, right?

Sounds like what I have been doing. I replaced all the Norgrens and solenoid valves this year and the air bags the beginning of 2007 with Roger.

dalej
02-29-2008, 05:41 PM
Jon, thats the way I got it in 98. I think it had something to do with the added weight of the conversion. If I remember correctly, I had ask the Prevost service guy about it.

MangoMike
02-29-2008, 05:53 PM
Dale,
Nice job.

I love a motivated bus owner.

Mike

Kevin Erion
02-29-2008, 06:24 PM
Good on you Dale, I can't wait for the day I can start doing the things to our new bus that I want to do, not that I have to do. I keep trying to remind myself that the day will come, I just don't see the light yet!

Jon Wehrenberg
02-29-2008, 08:00 PM
I believe that second shock was covered by a service bulletin. Some coaches that did not have the Mae West air bags originally installed added a second set of shocks to prevent bottoming if the front end weight was heavy. I think eventually all coaches got the bigger air bags.

That is going by memory, and if my memory is correct that modification took place in the early 90s.

truk4u
02-29-2008, 09:11 PM
Dale,

You are the man.... But c'mon, how much of it did Jan actually do?:p

win42
03-01-2008, 08:12 AM
Good going Dale. I wondered why you disapeared for a while. Your bus has got to ride like a dream and no battery worries for years.

dalej
03-01-2008, 08:32 AM
Harry, sorry it didn't work out to see you and Shirley, next time. Couldn't believe how time flew by.

Jerry Winchester
03-01-2008, 04:02 PM
All that work and a photographer posted no pics of the event? Come on Dale, are you being a slacker?

JIM CHALOUPKA
03-01-2008, 05:53 PM
Not sure on this, but I don't think the work has begun.
Just the gathering of the parts.

dalej
03-10-2008, 07:53 PM
Thought I would pass a tip on incase someone will be doing bags shortly.

New air springs are somewhat stiff when they are new. I use a 1/4 inch plug to block the air until I get it in place. Depress the spring and install the plug. Once the bag is bolted at the top, you can slowly unscrew the plug and as the air goes back in the spring you can align the bottom. If your bus is high in the air and the spring doesn't touch the bottom plate, I use the flex air blower to add air to the bag to stretch it to the bottom. Keep a little pressure in the spring until you start the two bottom nuts.

When removing the old springs, I use a tire iron to squeeze the spring toward the top plate and then install the plug. Then remove the top two nuts.