PDA

View Full Version : Window Coverings

jimshoen
02-24-2008, 03:03 PM
Any recommendations on where to find window coverings (shades) that are electrically operated and can be used to replace the original manual shades on a 1997 Marathon XL? Do the electric shades work well?

Jerry Winchester
02-24-2008, 03:15 PM
Our electrid shades work well, but they sound horrible when they are running. But it beats running around pulling down 12 shades. I don't know who makes them and I hope I never need to know.....

MangoMike
02-24-2008, 03:16 PM
Jim,

I have to follow Jon's logic on this one.

Keep the manual shades as simplier is better.

I have Douglas electric shades in the H3 and have replaced 4 drive gears to date.

The drive motor is inside of the shade shaft. And this motor drives a small PLASTIC gear which moves the shade. Bouncing down the road causes this part to break. It must be common as when I called Douglas they knew exactly what I was trying to explain and they said they would be glad to send the part no charge. Luckily I asked for extras.

Perhaps on newer models this has been re engineered. Check.

JDUB, when you're ready to make the call. Douglas 800 438-3883

Mike

Jon Wehrenberg
02-24-2008, 03:31 PM
We were told by a couple that has electric shades the same thing Jerry said, and in the next breath they told us how unreliable they were.

In 1996 or 1997 a friend bought a new Vantare H3 conversion. He had us over to tour his new coach, and when he was demonstrating the new shades one broke. The coach had been driven from Florida to western NY after the conversion, and it already had a broken shade.

With each passing day I become more willing to expend a little effort in the pursuit of simplicity, because I am learning more and more of our powered devices, such as TV antennas, windows, shades and awnings are great when they are working but they really suck when they break. I have replaced the motor that raises the cover on my ceiling fan twice in three years. The manually operated cover on the fan in the old coach was 18 years old when I sold the coach and had never failed.

Darl-Wilson
02-24-2008, 03:40 PM
Hey Jim, these things are all over the place here in Reno and Sparks. Besides the Hunter- Douglas you can find Graber. I think HD and JC Penny Furniture store on Virginia St have them and both also have installers. Like everyone else here I never considered them for my bus because of the motion while driving. I didn't get 'em for my house because I am too cheap!

Have a nice snowy day!

MangoMike
02-24-2008, 03:43 PM
In addition I would think working the whole wiring issue out would be a major challenge.

Joe Cannarozzi
02-24-2008, 03:48 PM
We all might consider manicures for those close ups with the fingers in the shot, Mango:rolleyes:
Very distracting.

MangoMike
02-24-2008, 03:50 PM
Joe,

I bite my nails everytime I read one of Jon's posts.

Mike

Joe Cannarozzi
02-24-2008, 03:57 PM
Well when he starts talkin simpler is better it starts makin me and my 86 lookin perty good.

jimshoen
02-24-2008, 05:17 PM
I think I have the point. Simpler is better. I'll have the kids open and close them.

Jerry Winchester
02-24-2008, 06:30 PM
Good catch Joe. Those are about some gnarly fingernails. You must have been biting these when you were missing that tooth because it is pretty uneven. See if you can't gnaw them up a little straighter.

MangoMike
02-24-2008, 07:15 PM
Jim,

We don't want to discourage you from bus improvements, but your time may be better spent adding LED's.

Come over to the Dark Side.

http://www.prevoman.com/Pages/Pictures/page2.html

JDUB, No comment.

MangoMike
02-24-2008, 08:21 PM
Photo of the offending drive gear.

When this tab is missing, you have a problem.

MIke

lewpopp
02-24-2008, 09:19 PM
Leave it to JDUB of the "NEUVOUS RICH" to say that he can't bend his fat ass over to adjust the shades and can push a button to hear the loud noise. Crap, what kind of encouragement is that to reach the apex of driving a fully automatic Preeee-voooost.

JDUB, Bite me. Got you first!!!

How is your Farmall tractor? Or your Scout, do they have automatic shades or just a lot of paint?