PDA

View Full Version : Hummer Uh Oh....

Jerry Winchester
02-23-2008, 10:06 PM
Headed up I-35 out of OKC today when I casually look at the back up monitor and see the Hummer in echelon formation with the coach. I slow down oh so gradually and ease off on the shoulder.

Upon inspection, the pin that holds the tow bar adapter to the Hummer had come out and the safety cable was holding that side of the truck in line (sort of).

It looks like the safety clip that secures the pin came off and allowed the pin to work out. Then the adapter slid out of the square tubing attachment.

Luckily, the tow bar is set up to swivel when the adapter came loose. And equally lucky was the fact that I had an extra receiver hitch pin and it was a direct replacement for the one that came loose.

I can't imagine how the retainer pin came loose, but I can tell you I will pay more attention to these in the future.

garyde
02-23-2008, 10:19 PM
Hi Jerry. Phew! I can imagine the look on your face when seeing two tons of steel being dragged behind you sideways.

jello_jeep
02-23-2008, 10:29 PM
Wow Jdub, good eyes, and good fortune on your part. That is scary! :eek:

Petervs
02-23-2008, 11:51 PM
Don't worry! Be happy!

That is why you have insurance!

Your agent should be the one saying "whew", not you.

MangoMike
02-24-2008, 12:21 AM
Nice save.

At least the emergency brake was off. ;)

mm

Jon Wehrenberg
02-24-2008, 07:12 AM
That was way harsh.

JIM CHALOUPKA
02-24-2008, 08:07 AM
Headed up I-35 out of OKC today when I casually look at the back up monitor and see the Hummer in echelon formation with the coach. I slow down oh so gradually and ease off on the shoulder.

Upon inspection, the pin that holds the tow bar adapter to the Hummer had come out and the safety cable was holding that side of the truck in line (sort of).

It looks like the safety clip that secures the pin came off and allowed the pin to work out. Then the adapter slid out of the square tubing attachment.

Luckily, the tow bar is set up to swivel when the adapter came loose. And equally lucky was the fact that I had an extra receiver hitch pin and it was a direct replacement for the one that came loose.

I can't imagine how the retainer pin came loose, but I can tell you I will pay more attention to these in the future.

Jerry, glad your safe! Good save.
I don't know exactly the kind of pin of which you are referring, or where it is located, but here is a source for a pin I used to use in boat racing. It is known as a " PIP Pin ". If it is installed in the properly shaped hole , it will not come out! ( remembering to install it is critical here )
Things to take into account when choosing the pin for a particular application are, its cross sectional area, its tensile strength, and the alloy of the pin and its components.
Unless you take all of these aspects into account in choosing a pin, you should only use the pin as a safety pin to retain the pin originally designed to take the load.

If you are already using a pip pin and it came out then one of three things:

It wasn't installed properly.
The pin is defective.
The hole into which it goes is not properly shaped.

I am only using your name to introduce the pin to anyone that might not know about it, and not to single you out in any way. ;)

http://www.jergensinc.com/pins.aspx?source=search_engine

Jerry, it is important to examine all of the tow components to be sure that nothing was stressed past its fatigue point and or bent in your incident.

dale farley
02-24-2008, 08:23 AM
Jerry, I've often wondered if the saftey chain would really serve its purpose if something came loose. I guess this verifies that it does. I'm glad you caught it in time.

Jon Wehrenberg
02-24-2008, 09:11 AM
There is another type of failure that may not result in a runaway toad, but may require the toad to be driven rather than towed.

We had a tow bar lock failure some time back with our other coach and our first toad. I don't know how all tow bars are constructed, but on our Roadmaster the pin that locks the arms extended failed due to a broken spring which was used to hold it in the engaged position. The arm, being free to extend and collapse, was cycling between the extreme open and collapsed positions and despite the toad weighing about 3200 pounds we could feel it banging in and out and see it happening in the TV. We disconnected and Di drove behind me. It was hitting the extremes hard enough my concern was the pivot pins would eventually fail.

From time to time it is not a bad idea to check your two bar to make sure the arms are positively locking and that the engagement pins are not sticking, a sign that there may become issues with locking.

truk4u
02-24-2008, 09:28 AM
Atta Boy....;)

MangoMike
02-24-2008, 09:35 AM
I've also read stories on RV.net about persons removing the "safety cotter pins" in truck stops and rest areas.

So it's always good to take a quick gander at your hookup before hitting the road.

JDUB sometimes there is a price on "envy".

Mike

Joe Cannarozzi
02-24-2008, 09:45 AM
Jerry you have been through an experience that I know many have pondered.

So I'm curious. I have always been critical of the what I consider is the excessive length of the safety chains/cables.

The tow-bar we have I built and I have a few questions about your experience that may help in our eventual purchase and posible alteration of such thereafter.

When I built mine, having this concern I designed the chains with what I felt was just enough slack to give just enough free travel. I am of the opinion that if a pin failed as did yours it would be the safest design. If ours fails I would like to believe it will be evident in the camera but it may not due to the shortness in the length of the chains.

Do you have cables or chains? Can you be a little more descriptive on just how far out of whack it got when it failed. Knowing what you know now would you prefer a shorter set. If cables are you comfortable with continuing to use them, was there any visible evidence of stress?

Jim you are beautiful. Those are the pins that were originally supplied to the converter on ours for the collapsible rails on our roof deck when new. Only a few remained by the time it got to us I have been using bolts and nuts in their place and can now replace them.

JIM CHALOUPKA
02-24-2008, 10:26 AM
Thanks Joe, Barb says I need face lift. :D :eek:

Jerry Winchester
02-24-2008, 12:51 PM
Joe,

I was using safety cables and they are of sufficient length that the Hummer was grossly misaligned with the coach centerline, but not yet far enough out of line that I could see it in the mirror. I would only make them long enough to allow the toad to turn without them getting tight.

I did not have the break away brake cable on and I have to believe if it had applied the breaks when it came partially loose I might have had a rodeo on my hands. Any thoughts on that?

After a little reflection, I can only surmise that either someone removed the pin while the Hummer was parked at the mall in OKC or as we were underway just north of Houston on Thursday night, I ran over what appeared to be a front airdam or plastic shroud from a car that was laying in the center of the road. By the time I saw it (it was black) it was too late to avoid it. If it rolled up just right as it exited the duals / tag axle, it could have hit the bottom of the safety pin and jarred it loose.

But the Hummer came loose about 20 miles north of OKC, so I have to think that someone may have helped us out.

I think I will reinstall the adapter with some Grade 8 bolts and self locking nuts when I get back home. That or replace the pin with a small lock.

I have to think the bigger oh $hit would have been not seeing it and hitting the brakes for the first time and having the Hummer whack into the back of the coach. That would have left a mark.

Darl-Wilson
02-24-2008, 01:31 PM
I think JDUB's experience again highlights the need for brakes on the Toad. If he had a complete failure of the tow bar then stopping suddenly, with just the safety chains/cables towing the vehicle, could have been catastrophic. It would, at least, caused serious damage to the rear of the bus and the front of the Hummer.

I don't mean to be critical but a "pre-fllight walk-around" is in order every time before we begin driving even if it is a short stop. My experience as a pilot and an ex-truck driver (I'm an "EX" in a lot of things, including husband) won't let me take off at anytime without checking the tires and connection of my towed vehicle. I am sure all you pilots, JDUB included, check their aircraft thoroughly before departure. My way of remembering came from my 1st flight instructor and I have never forgot it, I touch every item as I inspect it. When I stop, even for just a short time to exercise my legs, part of my 'pre-flight' on the bus is to touch every one of the pins that connect the Toad to my coach and to make sure the safety cables are in place and the Brake-Away cable has the proper slack.

I like to idea of using the bolt attachment (case-hardened?) or locks JDUB is going to install. I use the padlocks from Roadmaster on 3 points of my tow rig. 1 is at the bus pin attachment and I have 2 on the Toad.

Finally, Jerry, I am very happy this did not have an ugly ending for you and your family. I don't mean to 'pile-on' with my comments above, I write just to share my experience and hopefully help someone else from going through what just happen to you. My bet is that you will never have this problem again.:)

jack14r
02-24-2008, 01:32 PM
GOOD JOB JERRY,it would be hard to match the paint on your bus.

rfoster
02-24-2008, 02:12 PM
JDUB, Sure glad this story had a good ending. I have happened upon motorhomes on the interstate that have lost their toads. Not a pretty site. Ruined vehicles, insurance claims, ruined trip etc. Last year enroute to Myrtle Beach a guy lost his and it turned over totaling his car. Fortunately it went to the shoulder rather than across the median into oncoming traffic.

Thankfully that was not the case here. Have heard of hitch pins getting pulled at various stops, I try to make it a habit to check it if left unattended. :cool:

tdelorme
02-24-2008, 02:23 PM
We had the exact failure with a Roadmaster tow bar that Jon had. The locking pin spring either broke or fell off. In fairness to Roadmaster, the tow bar had something over 200,000 trouble free miles on it. We were only about five miles from the RV place that had sold me the set up years before and had transferred it to our current jeep about six months before the failure. When we pulled in to their service area, the service manager came out and looked at the tow bar. He turned and said to me, "pull the pins and take it off while I get a new one." He said Roadmaster would take care of them and had us back on the road in about ten minutes, no charge. How cool is that. Hayes RV in Longview, TX. They sell plastic coaches and trailers but they are a first class outfit.