PDA

View Full Version : Marathon / POG Sponsor?

jimshoen
02-20-2008, 12:32 PM
I noticed that Liberty is a POG sponsor.
Has Marathon showed any interest in being a POG sponsor?

truk4u
02-20-2008, 07:26 PM
Skiffer,

You are the person to answer this, I won't be very kind regarding POG and Marathon.

Jim Skiff
02-20-2008, 08:05 PM
Truk, Jeff and I have worked for years trying to get Marathon as a site sponsor. Other members have also communicated with them through various sources as to the advantage of being a sponsor for www.prevostownersgroup (http://www.prevostownersgroup) and www.prevost-stuff.com (http://www.prevost-stuff.com).

My most recent conversation was with a senior representative from the
St. Antonio, FL. office.

"Marathon is not interested in supporting POG or P-stuff and it is unlikely they will in the future."

We feel it would be worth it for them to sell more coaches and open lines of communication with folks who own and are loyal to, the Marathon product. They make a heck of a good coach,that's for sure.

Marathon doesn't need us, that is also true. But it wouldn't be a bad move on their part.

Jim

Five-O
02-20-2008, 10:45 PM
I asked Marathon why when I bought our bus. I conveyed it during my first and second post here but my words were twisted and I basically had the entire group against me for what I said. But thats water under the bridge. Converters want to sell NEW units. They need to sell NEW units. Dont think lurkers dont alert converters like Marathon to the general tone of the board and group. Again, water under the bridge but sometimes the answer is given to a question and sometimes we dont like to hear it. Marathon and converters are appealing to a market and generation that sometimes is not represented here. My opening comments when I first started posting also bought attention to not only trying to lure converters like Marathon but also trying to MAINTAIN the sponsors this group already has. It would be ashame with the way the market is now if the converters started cutting back their sponsorships. I know it was commented then that "hey the sponsors are happy with POG", but as a group POG should not get complacent. Make no mistake this group and site needs sponsors. Its always nice to get new ones, but we need to make sure we retain what we have. Sometimes things need to be said and I got hammered before and I can take it again if it happens, but I am being honest; that to attract a sponsor like Marathon and to continue to keep sponsors who convert new coaches, the board cannot have the "perception" that it is for older units. I am not saying that just because I have a new one. Remember that the active members on this board do not represent half of the members. So the voices we see on this board may not represent the majority. There are lurkers. There are some well to do lurkers. I dont know how many new coach lurkers there are, but I know of three. I wish one of them would post something because he is a great guy and comes up with some great stuff. Mr. Skiff I welcome you to correct me if I am wrong about what I am saying about sponsorship. I really would like POG to continue to grow and get ALL the big name converters on board. Even if one doesnt sign up, that is one too many. With any question, comes the answer why. WHY is something we should ponder.

garyde
02-20-2008, 11:03 PM
Hi Five-0. I purchased my 2003 Liberty from Liberty. I am the 3rd owner. Liberty has now sold this Coach Three times! Liberty also sold the previous owners new Coaches! I believe Marathon needs to wake up.

mikedee
02-21-2008, 01:45 AM
I can slightly agree but mostly disagree with the Marathon position. Before I sold my company I would not talk to used dealers or participate in any used equipment sales. If I did as a new equipment manufacture the used was all the clients wanted. When they found used they wanted my advice from me for of course free.

My disagreement is that Marathon spends a lot of effort to market used coach's and consignments, something I totally avoided in my marketing. The POG group has purchased a number of used units and we all could in the future including myself be a client for a used Marathon.

I would join POG if I ran Marathon, promote my coach's features and my service dept. Build POG brand equity and help maintain the desirability of my products.

Jon Wehrenberg
02-21-2008, 07:16 AM
I think 5-0 is suggesting POG is comprised of owners of old coaches and the owners are of more advanced age.

There are some old farts here. There are some old coaches owned by members here. But of the POG members I know and have had contact with this group is about as diverse as you can get and it represents the entire marketplace. At the PSL rally at the ORA one of the coaches was definitely vintage (as was its owner who may deny being a member of old fartdom) and we had the pleasure of going out to dinner with two POG members who are driving some pretty new equipment, one of which was brand new(not the owner, but the coach).

Parked next to us were friends younger than our daughter and their son. So out of around 10 coaches at the mini rally the entire spectrum of coaches ages and owner's ages was represented.

My point is that 5-0 should plan on joining us in Sevierville and see first hand that the membership of POG is not restricted to old old coach owners who spin wrenches. I'm not flaming you 5-0, but trying to help you understand POG (unlike the PP) is probably more representative of the demographics Marathon is trying to reach and they just do not realize it.

truk4u
02-21-2008, 08:51 AM
I have been a Marathon fan and I owned one. As I stated before, the service and staff in San Antonio were great. If the other facilities are treating people badly based on the size of their wallet, shame on them. This Prevost business is pretty small in the big RV Industry picture and word gets around fast. The Corporate folks at Marathon should wake up. Many of us have talked to Marathon about POG and Stuff, the branches want it, the brains in OR don't.

Jon is right, this is a very diverse group. I know members that could stroke a check for a new bus tomorrow and not bat an eye, but their enjoyment is hands on used bus ownership and support from this group. So if you own a new bus and your a lurker, come to a Rally or participate in the Forum, we need you.

The used bus market is much larger than new and that's where Marathon has their head in the sand. I hope they sell lots of new buses, so when the owners sell in a couple of years and lose 50% of their value (I didn't say investment here) that opens up used buses from people stepping up.

In the mean time, I'm going to support the Converters who support POG!

02-21-2008, 05:01 PM
I am surprised that Marathon is not a sponsor. If I owned Marathon, or even if I were a sales rep there I would plow every field that had Prevost owners. This is a very small universe, and to pass this group over makes no sense.

My Marathon Prevost is my first taste of the bus life. I fell in love with the 99 coach that I purchased, it was me. By the time I drive away from Coburg I will have spent about 20% of the total purchase price in upgrades.
I can't imagine that Marathon doesn't like or want this business.

Maybe we should invite a few of their salesman who we each have relationships to TN. rally. I am almost certain that My sales rep., Phil Cornelious would come as long as he does not have a conflicting schedule or has territorial issues.

I will be in Coburg in March to pickup my coach. If The POG powers at be want me to ask, I would be happy to.

Just Plain Jeff
02-21-2008, 05:17 PM
There are no 'powers to be' in POG. Each and every Member is a 'power to be.'

May The Force be with you!

Ray Davis
02-21-2008, 05:58 PM
I think that a friendly invite to come see us at a rally would probably be better received than "would you like to be a sponsor? (i.e. give money).

The Pahrump rally might be closer for the Coburg guys, but it might more impress them to actually invite them to all three upcoming rallies. This might give them a broader picture of POG and it's happenings ...

ray

truk4u
02-21-2008, 08:58 PM
Ray,

Unless I'm mistaken, they were invited to Branson without any strings and I initiated the invite to Kerrville, turned over to Skiffer, again with no strings attached.

Skiffer can better answer this...

jimshoen
02-21-2008, 10:56 PM
Bruce,
Sat hello to Phil for me when you take delivery of your coach. Phil has been very helpful in providing me with the original layout drawings of my coach. Additionally, Phil was extremely cordial and polite. He may remember me as he showed my wife and I one of their new coaches on August 3rd while Pat was trying to evict me from the maintenance shop. Go figure?

02-22-2008, 08:24 AM
Bruce,
Sat hello to Phil for me when you take delivery of your coach. Phil has been very helpful in providing me with the original layout drawings of my coach. Additionally, Phil was extremely cordial and polite. He may remember me as he showed my wife and I one of their new coaches on August 3rd while Pat was trying to evict me from the maintenance shop. Go figure?
Really have enjoyed doing business with Phil. I will pass along your kind words. Don't you think that Phil would be interested in POG?

Jerry Winchester
02-23-2008, 09:41 AM
If I am not mistaken, didn't Marathon bring a coach to Branson and had one of their sales guys from Grand Prairie there?

Jon Wehrenberg
02-23-2008, 09:48 AM
No Marathon at Branson, but they brought two coaches over to the mini rally at PSL ORA, a three slide H3 and an XL with 2 slides.

The H3 was very nice, and we were treated well by the rep.

JIM CHALOUPKA
02-23-2008, 10:45 AM
Marathon did have a coach at Branson. The salesman had to leave early as a customer said if you get that bus to me now I will buy it, so he took off like a Ghost!
His name is Chad Dupuis, from Grand Prairie Texas, Very nice young man. Not yet like the typical salesman.

Five-O
02-23-2008, 12:40 PM
Chad said he was going to Branson with a coach last year. I even think they posted it on their site when he did. He also sold us our Royale when he worked for Buddy Gregg.

Jerry Winchester
02-23-2008, 02:54 PM
Yes, the Marathon guy at Branson was Chad Duplantis I think but I can't remember what the coach looked like. Nice guy.