PDA

View Full Version : New Style Alcoa Rims

Joe Cannarozzi
02-19-2008, 05:44 PM
Pulled into a fuel island behind a bus today and discovered Alcoa now has a new style 22.5 by 9 inch rim. They are 100% nicer looking than the old style.

The old 9 inch rims never did look right to me with their smaller holes and fewer of them.

On these I saw the "style holes" are larger and there are more of them and the flat spot in the "dish area" is much wider.

Wish I had my camera with me.

Has anyone got these on a newer bus or has anyone seen them?

Now that I think about it the bus was a Setra, anyone heard of these? It is made by Mercedies and distributed by Daimler looked O/K kinda like an H3.

jack14r
02-19-2008, 05:56 PM
There is a Setra service center here in Greensboro,I guess they also sell new ones also.

Jon Wehrenberg
02-19-2008, 06:05 PM
Joe, I think there have always been various wheels.

Way back when (tires were 12.00R 22.5) a lot of folks went to 24.5 wheels and started using 11.00R. The stated reasons were to use the cheaper 11.00 tire, but I think the guys that did it like the KW or Peterbilt shaped oval. At a Liberty rally two years ago there was a bus there with spinners. I mean the wheel had an outer wheel of chrome that spun like the gangsta kids cars.

I have seen wheels with the Freightliner shaped holes. I have seen the wheels you talked about on a truck, but not a bus.

If you go through the Alcoa site I'm sure there are all kinds of wheels available. I'm sure they will make your bus run better, and will impress the other guys in the hood.

Joe Cannarozzi
02-19-2008, 06:15 PM
Your a funny guy Jon.

I think I am aware of the various styles.

What I saw today was NEW and I already knew they would make the bus quicker.

Jon Wehrenberg
02-19-2008, 08:04 PM
I'm trying to find 22.5 spun aluminum pizza pans.

Instead of calling them Baby Moons, they will be Big Moons. My bus will be way cool at the drive in.

gmcbuffalo
02-20-2008, 02:16 AM
I saw several new transit buses in Los Angeles that had wheel well skirts like some of the old car in the 50's. I was wondering if there is any turbulence in those deep wheel well that these skirts would reduce. Less turbulance better mileage.
GregM

win42
02-20-2008, 10:01 AM
Ah the dream: Flicker hub caps and beer sign skirts. Brings back the 50's.