PDA

View Full Version : American Carriage

Loc
02-19-2008, 11:24 AM
I don't know if this is accurate. There was a post on one of the other rv/motorhome websites that American Carriage is shutting its doors in a month.

02-19-2008, 05:38 PM
I don't know if this is accurate. There was a post on one of the other rv/motorhome websites that American Carriage is shutting its doors in a month.
I bet there will be lots of consolidations, rethinking of business plans this year from all of the converters, including the top two. The banks will be the reason some of these guys make serious course corrections, money doesn't flow the way it used to, the terms are different and there is much greater scrutiny. I was told by my contacts in Coburg that Country Coach is rethinking their game plan on conversions this year as well. They said that the Rhapsody has been a big drag on their production line, and sales are really soft. I had considered a 2008 plastic CC when looking. Great time to buy a coach.

Jon Wehrenberg
02-19-2008, 05:58 PM
I'm not sure there is a better or worse time to buy a coach. If you are in the market to buy, the prices seem depressed, and coaches seem to remain on the market for a longer period of time.

But like politics I think coach buying is local. When you are ready to buy, you buy. It is doubtful anybody that is buying a coach right now was sitting in their Lazy Boy last year telling all who would listen that he would hold off on buying until the spring of 2008 because it will be a great time to buiy a coach.

The reverse is true of sellers. I have yet to hear of sellers who choose to hold on to the old campuh till next year because the market will be moving up.

We buy and sell when we want to because that's the way it is.

I can't say I have seen or heard of any steals or deals out there in Prevost Land. I have seen coaches depreciate. I have seen coaches on the market for a long time, and those are likely to eventually get lower more realistic prices, possibly to reflect the damage from sitting for sale with little or no use. I have seen some buyers and sellers come together to make deals that were very good for both parties, and those are less reflective of the market as a whole, than they are reflective of a serious buyer and a serious seller striking a fair deal for both.

One thing I am sure of. No matter how low folks perceive this market to be right now, there is not a coach out there that will be worth more tomorrow, or next week, next month, or next year. All hard times tend to do is accelerate depreciation a little, and when the market turns, depreciation just slows a little, but it never stops.

Petervs
02-19-2008, 10:54 PM
Jon, I think you have summed it up pretty well.

My philosophy is to buy quality, then you can enjoy owning it for a long time, and derive the benefit of having spent your money by using the product, rather than worry about the resale value on a daily basis.

We bought our Prevost because I thought it would be the one RV we could own for 20 years and not regret it for the whole time. So far, 6 1/2 years later, I think the plan is still quite workable.

Buying a slightly used one makes perfect sense to me too. Let the other guy take the big depreciation hit. Since it is a quality machine the value will still be there.

It amazes me to see folks buying $500,000-700,000 new plastic coaches. There is just so much more value in a used Prevost for the same or less money. Some folk just want brand new I guess, even though we all know none of those are perfect trouble free machines.

garyde
02-19-2008, 11:22 PM
I will be attending FMCA this next week in Pomona. American Carriage was there two years ago along with all the other Prevost Convertors; Parliment, Featherlite, Country Coach, Marathon, Liberty, Millenium and Prevost Coach Company. It will be interesting to see who shows up!

tdelorme
02-19-2008, 11:24 PM

Similar note:
Jan and I spent Saturday and Sunday in the Camping World Suite at Daytona International Speedway. I ask one of the CW VP's about the Featherlite deal. His comment was that the numbers were not good. (as in "real bad") and that all parties agreed to call it off. He actually said a lot more and came back later and ask that I not repeat all he had said, so I won't.
He also said CW is working with Prevost to have the Katy, TX location become a Prevost service center. So, there you go Loc, now you Houston folks really have something to worry about. How about you all draw straws to see who goes first.
I should also say the Camping World folks were a nice group of people who really do care about their customers. I was told that by a number of their staff so it must be true, I think. This company is on the move with big plans for the next several years to open many more stores and represent many different RV manafacturers.
There was a bit of a "pep rally" atmosphere in the suite, but we sure had great seats for the races. It was fun.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
02-19-2008, 11:38 PM
Not to sling mud, cause I don't have any FIRST hand experience, but a very close friend of mine, with a 2004 CC "Bob Lee Special Edition" Magna, had the WORST service from HELL, at the Camping World here in Houston. :mad:

Spent close to $4000 to replace an invertor, which did not need to be replaced.... and his list goes on and on, but you get the picture. :mad: :eek:

Kind of like AJ's terrible experience at Marathon this week? Sorry AJ for your troubles, glad Jon was able to help you get going today. He is a life savior.

Gary S.

truk4u
02-20-2008, 08:58 AM
For those of you that have never experienced a Camping World Service adventure, give it a try, I can't wait for the report.:eek:

Ted, how did you get in the box you lucky dog?

Loc
02-20-2008, 09:46 AM
Gary,

That is a nice looking new avatar. That must go with the "FOUND IT".

Loc

tdelorme
02-20-2008, 09:56 AM
Ted, how did you get in the box you lucky dog?

Tom, I'll put it like this. I am so charming and good looking that they just had to have me up there with the CW big shots.

That is a lie.
Truthfully, there was an exchange of cash involved and it was worth every penny.

Coloradobus
03-06-2008, 12:32 PM
Tdelorme,

A respected word has it that Marcus Lemonis aka Freedom Roads LLC/Camping World was more interested in Featherlite's location and nothing more. He wanted to make room on the lot for an order of low-end units.
It came to light that bus service and sales would revert back to factory. There would be no new sales/resales bus lot. Bus orders would only be taken by costumer request, no coaches built for spec.
So, the deal is off.
After speaking several years ago with Mr. Lemonis directly about his stance on certain RV issues, we avoid all Camping Worlds and afiliates.

tdelorme
03-06-2008, 01:38 PM
Good information, Jim. Seems like there are always conflicting stories on deals like this, which is understandable. I do not know Mr. Lemonis or what his intentions were for Featherlite, but what you are saying makes sense. The Sanford, Fl. location is right on Interstate 4 with good visibility in a fast growing area. I'm sure CW would love to have had that property.
Only time will tell how things work out for both companies. Featherlite certainly make a beautiful coach and I hope they are around for years to come. My views on Camping World mirror yours and Prevost service center or not, I'll take my chances elsewhere.

Ray Davis
03-06-2008, 01:42 PM
I'm curious about your dislike (hope that's not too strong a word) of Camping World? Although I never would take my bus there for servicing, I have purchased a number of products at the local CW, and prices are good, and generally they have the pieces I need.

Ray

gtoccalino
03-06-2008, 04:54 PM
:::(their website is not working and they don't answer their phone

truk4u
03-06-2008, 06:50 PM
Ray,

I like it for buying some of the crap we need and have been a Presidents Club member for many years. I only visit the store, not the nightmare called service.

Ray Davis
03-06-2008, 07:26 PM
Exactly what I do!! Always some good stuff you need to buy for these things!

tdelorme
03-06-2008, 09:50 PM
I'm curious about your dislike (hope that's not too strong a word) of Camping World? Although I never would take my bus there for servicing, I have purchased a number of products at the local CW, and prices are good, and generally they have the pieces I need.

Ray

Ray, your question is a good one and I have thought about it for awhile before answering. I really don't dislike Camping World. But, I really don't trust CW when it comes to service of any kind on a recreational vehicle. Most of the members of this forum are long time RV owners who have a vast knowledge of their equipment and it's care and feeding. There are however thousands of new RV'ers every year who put their trust in the hands of incompetent service centers. The horror stories abound on other RV forums and they are not all about CW. I would like to know the percentage of new RV owners who bail out fast after finding that there is no one who can provide the service to keep their rig up and running.
If you need potty chem or awning lights, they will serve your needs adequately, and we stop in one every couple of years. I don't think their prices are as good as my local RV dealer, and if WalMart has what you want they will have the best price.
So I guess the bottom line for me with regards to Camping World is this. I wish they did a better job of doing what they do.

garyde
03-06-2008, 10:03 PM
My impression was Camping World's Service Center was only used for installng the products they sold. The problem; There are so many different types of RV's and Manufactureres, there is no way to install a product the same way twice. Therefore, their Service center is always going to have challenges pleasing the customer. I think the customer is going to have to acknowledge some shortcomings when dealing with them.

lewpopp
03-06-2008, 10:16 PM
I have belonged to Camping World since the beginning of time. I just recently let my Presidents membership lapse because their prices are always higher than elsewhere. If I do have to purchase something there in the future, I would join, but until then, you're right, I'll go to Wal-Mart and elsewhere to purchase little things.

I cringe when someone says they are going to( CW )or Lazy Days to get a motorhome.

Ray Davis
03-07-2008, 05:08 PM
Admittedly, as I mentioned in my question, I don't service at a CW. I've heard horror stories. HOWEVER, that seems to be a general theme these days. Whether we're talking Prevost service or others.

We had some bad stores about Prevost service, here just recently. Being overcharged, charged for work that didn't happen, and shoddy workmanship. But, at this point there's nowhere else I trust to service my coach.

I have friends that have purchased RV's at local "super centers", and their service is abysmal, especially if doing warranty work.

It's kind of a sad state of affairs!

Ray