PDA

View Full Version : Valve stem on Dual

Danss
02-18-2008, 12:12 PM
Just a simple question: Why is the valve stem on the outside rear dual wheels facing inward?

Jon Wehrenberg
02-18-2008, 12:22 PM
So when you turn the wheel around, such as on the tag or steer it is pointing out.

With the dual straight foot air chuck and tire pressure gauge you should have no trouble putting air into it.

Do like Joe C did and add a second valve stem, and point it any direction you want.

Danss
02-18-2008, 01:22 PM
Since there is no underlying critical problem with which way it faces I will probaly put in one facing straight up. Thanks

Jon Wehrenberg
02-18-2008, 01:44 PM
Before you do that consider how you will put the air chuck onto it. It makes sense, but double check because if it points to the center of the hub, which it is likely to do, is there enough clearance to get the air chuck on to it, or do you intend to use different chucks bases on the wheel you are filling?

There is a reason why every truck with dual wheels has the same valve stem orientation our coaches have.

Your problem might not be the orientation of the valve stem as much as the specific tire chuck you are using.

http://www.schrader-bridgeport.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=5204&location_id=5276

http://patchboy.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=17-6568B&Category_Code=21-12

Joe Cannarozzi
02-18-2008, 04:54 PM
Jon you should display the wrong air chuck too so folks can see the difference cause that is the more common one and the one most people have try to use. IMO one of those simple common mistakes that can be very frustrating.

Dan you could replace the stems on the 2 outer drives with shorter ones and without any bad ramifications. Just be cognisant of the alteration and do not alter those 2 rims positions. I have been planning to make that change.

win42
02-18-2008, 06:01 PM
Stem extensions from the inner dual wheel were discussed earlier. It was decided it was possible for the stem extension to vibrate against the wheel and wear a hole in it. I recently saw a remedy for this. A rubber plug in the wheel hole with a small opening in the center for the air stem to pass through. This should stop the movement and keep it centered.

Jon Wehrenberg
02-18-2008, 06:59 PM
Harry.....I posted the pictures of my valve stem extensions. They had the rubber insert in the outer wheel, but that still did not stop them from flexing enough to wear against the wheel.

I have to say that it is no more trouble airing up my tires without the extensions. I added the fill through the cap double seal caps on all my valve stems and I do not even have to remove the cap.

http://automotive-hardware.com/1-piece-double-seal-tire-valve-cap-p-20.html

Then I use a dual foot air chuck with a built in pressure gauge and it is as easy as reaching through the wheel (I space the stems 180 degrees apart), checking pressure, and if necessary giving it a shot and pulling the chuck back off the cap. Couldn't be easier and zero chance of wearing through an extension

I use the air chuck with the red hose. Works great. Cheap. Wal-Mart.

Danss
02-18-2008, 07:01 PM
Jon you are right on ,. I cannot have straight stems because of clearance. One of my agents told me " if you don't use your head you may as well of been born with 2 a--h" as usual I was not thinking it thru, but maybe I can get shorter stems and turn them outward, that way I will have easier access.
Win 42, I do have the rubber gromets on the stems coming from the inside wheel and no problems they came with bus so I do not know where to get them. Dan

Jon Wehrenberg
02-18-2008, 07:23 PM
If you really insist on using extensions here's the real deal from the guys that made your wheels.

I think they were on page 11.

http://www.alcoa.com/alcoawheels/north_america/en/accessories/docs/accessories.pdf

Be aware that besides the potential to wear, (maybe from grit getting in between the grommet and the stem?) the centrifugal force and constant flexing causes the stem to fail at the bend on the inner wheel. (The one you never check because it is a pain.)

rfoster
02-18-2008, 10:51 PM
Hey Harry: Here is Photo of my Valve Stem on inner dual with Rubber Boot in Place. The groove is cut into the stem by Centramatic Balancer on rear duals. The culprit is centrificgual force and centramatic. I buy and keep new valves as I do not know how many miles it took to put that groove in the one on the photo. So far I have run about 15K miles with no new evidence. Teeth are courtesy of Mango Mike. He loaned them to me as I could not afford to buy them. You know the cost of dental work these days.

JIM CHALOUPKA
02-19-2008, 02:17 PM
I as well as Jon like the gage Wal Mart sells and have had one for some time, but caution if you are running out to buy one now!

I had occasion today to view them in the store and was surprised to see that they now use a gage that only reads 100# max.

It used to read 150# max.

Here is the picture. I am referring to the one with the bright red hose not the dark red hose. :rolleyes:

http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2316&d=1203379147