PDA

View Full Version : TomTom 920T GPS / Mac / Treo 650

lloyd&pamela
02-18-2008, 09:00 AM
Anyone using the TomTom 920T with a Treo for traffic and weather info?

I could not buy a Garmin because of Mac incompatibility.

Ray Davis
02-18-2008, 11:36 AM
I'm curious about your comment about Mac incompatibility. Other than occassional map updates, do you need to hook up your GPS to a computer? In several years of owning my current Garmin, I have never needed to do that.

If you have a newer Mac, there are several options available to run PC software, from dual-booting, to products like Fusion. For the once-in-awhile connection to a PC, you could try that approach?

Probably not as important now, if you've already purchased the Tom-Tom.

Ray

lloyd&pamela
02-18-2008, 12:19 PM
Thanks Ray. I looked at Parallels and Bootcamp and several of the Windows emulators and the problems are the viruses that come with Windows. I prefer to avoid them as long as possible.

Garmin promised Mac compatibility over a year ago and have done nothing since then. TomTom 902T was rated by Consumer Reports almost equal to the top of the line Garmin. The Mac compatibility tilted the scale. Thanks.

Ray Davis
02-18-2008, 12:32 PM
I will be interested in hearing how your Tom Tom works for you. My Garmin is now many years old, and I'm consering replacing with a new unit. My Garmin has been fabulous, but they've changed from the Street Pilot series to this Nuvi, and I'm not sure if it's the same as previous or not.

Two minor comments on computers and viruses. Maybe helpful, maybe not.

1. Don't be fooled into thinking a Mac cannot get a virus. It can. I've seen it happen. It is less likely because the Mac market is a much smaller target. It seems the virus writers love to see how many units they can infect, and they get a bigger impact with PC's.

2. If you run something like Parallels, long enough to update your GPS, you are not likely to get a virus. IF you start getting emails via the PC side, then all bets are off, or if you start web browsing via Parallels, that would be a concern. In that case, you would want an up-to-date virus checker for the PC side as well.

Ray

lloyd&pamela
02-18-2008, 01:29 PM
Ray, I have used Garmins for years (marine, hand, auto) they were the only game in town for so long. TomTom started in Europe.

Comparing the Nuvi to the old Street Pilot I find the new system more intuitive with much better menu navigation (you can find want you need better).

I have had the TomTom for a week and it is similar to the Nuvi.

I did not want to be tied to MSN Net for the plus features (traffic, weather, etc.) The TomTom handles it in a more generic way.

Updates were my concern.

Mac have there problems but I like the small base with less hackers trying to destroy my files. I spent 25 years on PCs and bought one of the original Macs. It was a great day when I finally went back to Mac. I love a well designed tool that functions well and has a lovely form factor too.

Maybe I am a fan boy for Macs. But they have never let me down....yet.

Thanks. I will let you know if I still like the TomTom after bringing the our Prevost back home to Nova Scotia from LA over the next two weeks.

Ray Davis
02-18-2008, 02:13 PM
I will be waiting to hear. I'm a Mac fan as well, and generally travel with Mac's, but I do have dual-boot capability, should I need to (occassionally) run PC software. I run PC stuff less and less these days!

I'm considering purchasing one of the new iMacs for the bus. I think it's the perfect bus computer. I sometimes work on the road with my bus, and Mac generally is easier for remote access into Pixar corporate Linux machines!

ray

lloyd&pamela
02-18-2008, 02:20 PM
I agree. I find that Mac have had to become compatible with everybody else and that has made them great for connectivity. Second always has to try harder. Have you had an problems with your dual boot. Do you use Parallels or BootCamp?

I would love to have a Windows just to run OZI Explorer and download the route planning into GPS. None of the street units I have seen have the routing planning tools that the marine and outdoor models do.

Working with Pixar has to be exciting.

Are you look at the new Air?

mikedee
02-18-2008, 02:23 PM
I have two Garmins, 200 for my daughter and a 550 for me. Do updates all the time with my USB, Safari, Mac. Not a problem. I love the Garmin's. Tossed the Dells and have never been happier.

Ray Davis
02-18-2008, 02:50 PM
Lloyd,

I love the look of the air, but I already carry around the titanium laptop. I want something as a semi-permanent with a nice screen in the bus. I've purchased a couple of the iMac's for friends, and they are stunning.

But, that Air is truly sexy! :eek::D

Mike, thanks for the info on the Nuvi line. I have an online add from Costco, which I'll look a little closer.

lloyd&pamela
02-18-2008, 05:25 PM
Ray, iMac are nice machines. I have a cinema display that I love using with my Mac Book Pro. One note of caution. The iMac need to be well ventilated and away from the sun. They have a problem with over heating and the system just starts to act funny or shut down. I personally know of several this has happened to. Most solved the problem buy moving it away from the window. But I would ask around.

Mike how are you getting the Garmins to work with the Mac. If the update in on DVD or are you only using the memory cards?

rfoster
02-18-2008, 06:51 PM
I just upgraded to the new Nuvi 5000. Have not really put it to the test yet, but a larger screen. Have been very pleased with the Garmin Nuvi 660, and the street Pilot.

Beats the crap out of my expensive in dash Pioneer Nav.

Does anyone have any experience with the Nuvi 5000 yet? good or bad?

mikedee
02-18-2008, 07:06 PM
The new Garmin's have a cable that is USB to the display. You just go to Garmin and download the software, plug in the unit, hit update and it works. I think the software is called "webupdater"

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download.jsp

I have a new 24" IMac on my wife's desk. Stunning machine, I just love it. I am totally Apple, Ipod's, Iphone, IMac's, Itunes, I got no money.

lloyd&pamela
02-18-2008, 07:13 PM
Mike how does the MSN network work for traffic updates, etc?