PDA

View Full Version : Honda CRV

bluevost
02-17-2008, 11:18 AM
Does anybody tow a Honda CRV? Considering it and would like any feedback you have.

Thanks, Ken

Darl-Wilson
02-17-2008, 04:32 PM
Ken, we have a 2001 Honda CRV and love it. The car does not have the power of our 2008 Accord but it works fine as a Toad. I used the Roadmaster
(http://www.roadmasterinc.com/products/towbars/index.html)tow system Falcon 2 and their BrakeMaster and BrakeAway (http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Browse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2012794/p-2012794/currentRecordCount-8/N-111+10207+600016484/c-10107) system. J C Whitney (http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Search?catalogId=10107&storeId=10101&sku=brakeaway&searchbtn.x=0&searchbtn.y=0) seems to have the best prices on this stuff but no longer list the RM Tow bars. They sell Blue Ox (http://www.blue-ox-towbars.com/?vcn=google&vcad=BlueOx_BlueOX_BlueOXTowBars&gclid=CM_o9e6SzJECFRIUagodSmmD3A) which may be comparable to the Roadmaster. The Falcon 2 tow bar was very easy to install on the vehicle. The brake set-up takes a little longer.

As for the lights, I built my own light bar which I attached so I could remove it with 4 wing nuts and disconnect a plug. This was simpler than wiring through the Honda light system.

The CRV needs to be started and ran through the gears but ultimately shifting from DRIVE to Neutral. DO NOT shift from Park through Reverse to Neutral. SERIOUS DAMAGE COULD RESULT (A check list is suggested.) The owners manual for your particular year CRV shold be consulted. I stop every 200 miles and start the engine and go through the transmission procedure. We have never had a problem. This SUV is very dependable and good in snow.

If you have any questions on this do not hesitate to call me. I am home today and tomorrow and at work on Tuesday. Phones are on the 'Dale Map'
Good Luck!!

Ray Davis
02-18-2008, 11:15 AM
I believe the shifting pattern is similar on all Honda cars. I have to do the same on my Civic when we tow it. It's not a big deal. You also need to run it through the gears approximiately once every 300 miles. Generally I will do this at a fuel stop.

Ray

MangoMike
02-18-2008, 12:35 PM
Ken,

I bought my daughter the new '07 CR-V, which by the way is a great looking car with it's redesign. It's auto and we do tow it although this is not blessed by the manual.

As stated above we follow the strict pre pulling shifting pattern and repeat every 300 miles or so.

Mike

This is the bracket, from Roadmaster, that is nearly invisible on the front of the car.

http://roadmaster-tow-bars.com/search-results.php?year=2007&make=13&model=10

02-18-2008, 01:53 PM
Ken, we have a 2001 Honda CRV and love it. The car does not have the power of our 2008 Accord but it works fine as a Toad. I used the Roadmaster
(http://www.roadmasterinc.com/products/towbars/index.html)tow system Falcon 2 and their BrakeMaster and BrakeAway (http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Browse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2012794/p-2012794/currentRecordCount-8/N-111+10207+600016484/c-10107) system. J C Whitney (http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Search?catalogId=10107&storeId=10101&sku=brakeaway&searchbtn.x=0&searchbtn.y=0) seems to have the best prices on this stuff but no longer list the RM Tow bars. They sell Blue Ox (http://www.blue-ox-towbars.com/?vcn=google&vcad=BlueOx_BlueOX_BlueOXTowBars&gclid=CM_o9e6SzJECFRIUagodSmmD3A) which may be comparable to the Roadmaster. The Falcon 2 tow bar was very easy to install on the vehicle. The brake set-up takes a little longer.

As for the lights, I built my own light bar which I attached so I could remove it with 4 wing nuts and disconnect a plug. This was simpler than wiring through the Honda light system.

The CRV needs to be started and ran through the gears but ultimately shifting from DRIVE to Neutral. DO NOT shift from Park through Reverse to Neutral. SERIOUS DAMAGE COULD RESULT (A check list is suggested.) The owners manual for your particular year CRV shold be consulted. I stop every 200 miles and start the engine and go through the transmission procedure. We have never had a problem. This SUV is very dependable and good in snow.

If you have any questions on this do not hesitate to call me. I am home today and tomorrow and at work on Tuesday. Phones are on the 'Dale Map'
Good Luck!!
We recently purchased the Saturn Vue XR, V6. It is a completely redesigned saturn, and it is drmatically improved. The ride is outstanding, the power 257HP 6spd trans. The package is great, and with the Navigation it really improves getting around. The vehicle is heavier and was redesigned for the European market. I have driven it about 4K and it a fast car. The best part is like other saturns, it does not require the 300 mile start and shift, and can be run all day at 65 MPH. take a test drive and I think you will be impressed. The V6 is thae same as in the Saturn Outlook and Acadia, with 18 fewer HP. and about 1000 less pounds.

Bruce

Ray Davis
02-18-2008, 02:46 PM
According to the FMCA docs, the CR-V is towable in both 2007 and 2008 models. It does mention that the shifting stuff needs to be performed every 8 hours of towing.

Ray

Jim_Scoggins
02-18-2008, 04:19 PM
I looked hard at the 06 CRV. There was a caution in the owners manual about towing it faster than 65 MPH.

You might want to check this aspect out in the new CRV manuals. I think it was pretty much Honda CYA.

lewpopp
02-18-2008, 10:37 PM
Bruce,

I had a 2006 Vue for 18 months and it was a peppy car. Same engine in the 2008.

The main reason I changed to a Saturn Outlook was the interior area in the rear was double the Vue. That made a differance because I use it as my attic. The engine is the same and I'm well satisfied.

02-19-2008, 06:49 AM
Bruce,

I had a 2006 Vue for 18 months and it was a peppy car. Same engine in the 2008.

The main reason I changed to a Saturn Outlook was the interior area in the rear was double the Vue. That made a differance because I use it as my attic. The engine is the same and I'm well satisfied.
We really liked the Outlook, and more over really like the people at the saturn dealership (Stewart Fl) but our goal was to save some size, weight and Money. Our last tow vehicle was a Lexus RX 300, and my wife has never forgiven me for turning her white (smoke Dust White) baby into a stone pitted, dust covered car. We had installed a remco oil lube pump, but still cooked the transmission after a 1600 mile trip back to Florida from Maine. I felt that the 2008 Vue XR to be a good compromise, we'll see.

win42
02-19-2008, 09:08 AM
I'm looking to change from a Tahoe 5700# to something lighter and shorter. Jeep four door Wrangler 4wd or the Jeep Liberty 4wd are on my short list. No speed or mileage constraints except the 55MPH CA tow speed limit.
A Liberty pulling a Liberty does have some sex appeal.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
02-19-2008, 09:35 AM

Harry, don't forget to have it painted to match ? Oh wait, Jon says that is only if you are in the "PP" club. My mistake. :D

Gary S.

Orren Zook
02-19-2008, 11:54 AM
I'm looking to change from a Tahoe 5700# to something lighter and shorter. Jeep four door Wrangler 4wd or the Jeep Liberty 4wd are on my short list. No speed or mileage constraints except the 55MPH CA tow speed limit.

Free Advice: Drive a Liberty for a couple of hours before you buy one. A few years ago (2002) I bought one to use as a toad an liked it pretty well until I had the opportunity to drive it non-stop for more than an hour. I'm 6' and couldn't get comfortable with the pedal arrangement, the transmission intrudes into the driver area and forced my feet too much to the left. I never had this leg room issue with a Wrangler or Grand Cherokee.

BrianE
02-20-2008, 12:11 AM
Harry,
Would have to agree with Oren. Suggest you spend a little time in the Liberty before buying. As you know, we're not big folks but we both felt the front seat area was cramped.

Like Bruce and Pam, we also opted for a Vue and are happy with it. It has plenty of power, a very smooth 6 speed tranny and the back seats fold flat, good for the dog, groceries and fishing gear. We have also used it on some muddy two tracks in the woods and it does a great job AWD. Plus! If Lew drives one, it's got to be good, right?

02-20-2008, 09:08 AM
Harry,
Would have to agree with Oren. Suggest you spend a little time in the Liberty before buying. As you know, we're not big folks but we both felt the front seat area was cramped.

Like Bruce and Pam, we also opted for a Vue and are happy with it. It has plenty of power, a very smooth 6 speed tranny and the back seats fold flat, good for the dog, groceries and fishing gear. We have also used it on some muddy two tracks in the woods and it does a great job AWD. Plus! If Lew drives one, it's got to be good, right?
Just a quick note Brian. I just received my order from Coastline covers out in Ca. I ordered a custom cover that runs from the bumper to the top of the windshield. It works great, cost $314 and fits like a glove. the folks out there are really nice people, and have the 2008 Vue patterns. Everything lines up perfectly.

VUE negatives: harry, I find the Vue to be a great overall vehicle, quiet, fast, handles great, great fit and finish, but there is one problem in my opinion,. If you are a big person, I am not sure that you will find the seats very comfortable on long trips. Take a good drive, first, if this is a deal breaker for a purchase then check it out. Overall I would give the Vue XR a "A".

win42
02-20-2008, 09:45 AM
Yeah I'm a big guy and you people are not making it any easier for me to get rid of my Tahoe. I love that car and have 93K miles on it an am due for a replacement. I am searching out the idea of building a powered hitch extender so I can keep the 202" Tahoe behind the 45Ft. Liberty. When the CHP nazi's stop us I can pull the toe car a little closer for a measurement. What ever happened to " Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness ". Does not exist in the land of the liberals.

Jon Wehrenberg
02-20-2008, 01:20 PM
For folks that want a little room consider the Grand Cherokee. I think the new ones are still short enough to keep a 45 footer legal.

JIM CHALOUPKA
02-20-2008, 01:23 PM
Yeah, What ever happened to " Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness ". Does not exist in the land of the liberals.

You've got em all Harry.
a Life
a Liberty
and your Pursuing Happiness :D:D

merle&louise
02-20-2008, 04:19 PM
Yeah I'm a big guy and you people are not making it any easier for me to get rid of my Tahoe. I love that car and have 93K miles on it an am due for a replacement. I am searching out the idea of building a powered hitch extender so I can keep the 202" Tahoe behind the 45Ft. Liberty. When the CHP nazi's stop us I can pull the toe car a little closer for a measurement. What ever happened to " Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness ". Does not exist in the land of the liberals.

What is the legal towing limit in California?

What is the speed limit when towing a toad? I noticed truckers were driving about 60mph!

We are in Indio and I unhooked at the Arizona/California state line; drove 20 miles and then hooked up again. I had heard that I-10 passing thru Blythe, CA was a Nazi CHP trap.

My Newell is 45' and the Honda Pilot is 17' and the tow bar adds 7' for a total of 69'. Am I legal?

Kevin Erion
02-20-2008, 05:37 PM
Tuga, towing in California is 55 MPH, the over length for a motorhome with a tow vehicle is 65 feet. Remember, if there is only one CHP, you should be able to find 3 or 4 feet in your arm as you hold the other end of the tape for the fine officer.

bluevost
02-20-2008, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. No decision made yet, but I think I'll check out the Saturn VUE also. The Saturn Outlook is too big (201 inches) not just for towing, but it won't fit in my garage with the work bench, etc. in front of it.

Stay well everybody,

Ken

lewpopp
02-20-2008, 10:20 PM
Pam and Bruce,

I had the Vue for 18 months and did not enjoy the ride nor the space.

Harry,

Take a look at the Outlook. It's for a big guy and lots of room and not a super sized truck. More comfortable seats than the Vue by far.

I also bought a car cover to protect it when towing and am very happy with it's performance. Easy to install and remove. And can be cleaned in a large washing machine. Haven't had to yet, thank god.

garyde
02-20-2008, 10:28 PM
Tuga, How did you sneak into California without us west Cost Poggers knowing about it. Are you able to come up to the FMCA rally next week in Pomona? Ray, Kevin, and myself will be there at least on one day.

02-21-2008, 09:10 AM
Pam and Bruce,

I had the Vue for 18 months and did not enjoy the ride nor the space.

Harry,

Take a look at the Outlook. It's for a big guy and lots of room and not a super sized truck. More comfortable seats than the Vue by far.

I also bought a car cover to protect it when towing and am very happy with it's performance. Easy to install and remove. And can be cleaned in a large washing machine. Haven't had to yet, thank god.
Hello Lew,

We really like the Outlook as well, but our goal was to try and keep the whole rig at 65', and think we have made that goal. The other thing, is the VUE's redesign is a dramatic transformation from the previous model. complete redesign, fit & finish, power plant, transmission,extra weight, handling etc. But it is still smaller than the Outlook and if one needs the extra room, its agreat choice, better value than the Acadia and the Onclave without giving anything up. The VUE is much more refined ,In my opinion than the CRV, quieter ride, more power, better features. Time will tell, but I am not interested in getting pulled over by some CHP. officer intent on nailing me for being 1' over, as I will have already been speeding at the time, one ticket will be enough.

JIM CHALOUPKA
02-21-2008, 10:21 AM
Hello Lew,

We really like the Outlook as well, but our goal was to try and keep the whole rig at 65', and think we have made that goal. The other thing, is the VUE's redesign is a dramatic transformation from the previous model. complete redesign, fit & finish, power plant, transmission,extra weight, handling etc. But it is still smaller than the Outlook and if one needs the extra room, its agreat choice, better value than the Acadia and the Onclave without giving anything up. The VUE is much more refined ,In my opinion than the CRV, quieter ride, more power, better features. Time will tell, but I am not interested in getting pulled over by some CHP. officer intent on nailing me for being 1' over, as I will have already been speeding at the time, one ticket will be enough.

Bruce, just let Pam drive and you won't have to worry about a thing!

02-21-2008, 10:36 AM
Bruce, just let Pam drive and you won't have to worry about a thing!
Be careful what you ask for. Pam is 5'1" 110lbs wet, and has driven all of our motorcoaches and boats from our first Beaver back in the 80's and will be at the helm of our Prevost. I will give plenty of notice when we are arriving at the TN. rally. Pam has a serious lead foot.

As for the VUE, it belongs to her, and she made the final decision.

Bruce

JIM CHALOUPKA
02-21-2008, 10:41 AM
Be careful what you ask for. Pam is 5'1" 110lbs wet, and has driven all of our motorcoaches and boats from our first Beaver back in the 80's and will be at the helm of our Prevost. I will give plenty of notice when we are arriving at the TN. rally. Pam has a serious lead foot.

As for the VUE, it belongs to her, and she made the final decision.

Bruce

Hey Bruce, I meant that in a good way! Sit back and enjoy the ride.

02-21-2008, 12:35 PM
So do I, I just can't help thinking of my wife driving. Thank goodness for the Bus drivers seat adjustments. By the way, If you do not see me in the coach, its because I am in charge of the pedals.