PDA

View Full Version : Howard Active Steering Parts

02-10-2008, 08:58 AM
The folks at Marathon told me that they cannot get parts for the Howard Active steering system any longer if I need them as Howard is no longer in business. I had noticed what I thought was a leak in the hydraulic arm under the D/S. It might be nothing, but I was hoping to be able to take advanatge of this system over the road, especially on long hauls with a quartering wind. Have any of you had experience with this system, and have any ideas on parts etc.

Petervs
02-10-2008, 10:06 AM
I have a Howard system on my 94 Marathon and like it a lot and use it all the time on the road.

Sorry to hear they are out of business. Mine has signs of some leakage around the hydraulic cylinder too, but that does not affect the operation as long as there is still fluid in the system. besides being messy if it is a big leak. As long as you are not adding much fluid, like say a pint every oil change interval, a small leak will not matter much.

If you want to fix it, any hydraulic house will be able to rebuild the cylinder with new seals fol very little money. Presumably the rest of the system will keep working.

I do have the operation manual that came with my coach in case you need a copy.

02-10-2008, 10:11 AM
Good to hear, was hoping to maintain and use this system, as I heard that over the road truckers use them with good success.

Joe Cannarozzi
02-10-2008, 12:22 PM
Would someone like to elaborate on this accessory and how it works.

Petervs
02-10-2008, 06:10 PM
Howard Active Steering is a Pneumatic/Hydraulic power steering assist system. It adds stability and reduces the amount of steering corrections you need to make to track straight down the road.

But the main feature is you can easily adjust the steering if you have a crowned road or a crosswind, then the Howard adds a constant force in the direction and amount needed to cause the coach to roll straight without a constant steering wheel correction angle. There is a hydraulic cylinder that pushes against the steering linkage to actuate the system.

There is a little panel mounted near the dash which turns it on and off, adjusts the strength of the force by means of a pressure regulator with a pressure gauge, and a "trim" button. When you push that , then that amount of steering correction is added. Then the steering wheel magically returns to neutral even if you have a side wind. The main components are mounted in the area behind the left headlight.

We use it all the time except when maneuvering in parking lots, etc. Then it adds just a little steering force.

Once while driving across Iowa with at least a 50 mph wind coming from nearly 90 degrees to our direction of travel it could not keep the bus straight, any less wind it does fine. I like the system a lot.

MangoMike
02-10-2008, 06:24 PM
Peter did a much better job than I of describing how the Howard works.

I'll add the photo of the controls.

I didn't use it a lot, but in a crosswind it came in very handy.

Mike

02-10-2008, 06:25 PM
Howard Active Steering is a Pneumatic/Hydraulic power steering assist system. It adds stability and reduces the amount of steering corrections you need to make to track straight down the road.

But the main feature is you can easily adjust the steering if you have a crowned road or a crosswind, then the Howard adds a constant force in the direction and amount needed to cause the coach to roll straight without a constant steering wheel correction angle. There is a hydraulic cylinder that pushes against the steering linkage to actuate the system.

There is a little panel mounted near the dash which turns it on and off, adjusts the strength of the force by means of a pressure regulator with a pressure gauge, and a "trim" button. When you push that , then that amount of steering correction is added. Then the steering wheel magically returns to neutral even if you have a side wind. The main components are mounted in the area behind the left headlight.

We use it all the time except when maneuvering in parking lots, etc. Then it adds just a little steering force.

Once while driving across Iowa with at least a 50 mph wind coming from nearly 90 degrees to our direction of travel it could not keep the bus straight, any less wind it does fine. I like the system a lot.
Thanks for the excellent education. I'm looking forward to using this system. When you are slowing down and entering a park, do you have to remember to turn it off?

Thanks Again.

Bruce

Jon Wehrenberg
02-10-2008, 07:02 PM
For the pilots, think of it as trim.

For the car drivers think of it as a way to make the crown in the road go away or for the wind to stop.

02-10-2008, 08:18 PM
I like the trim concept, this feels right. Thanks Jon.

Petervs
02-10-2008, 08:45 PM
And for the MECHANICS, think of it as instantaneous and FREE wheel alignment!

Gary & Peggy Stevens
02-10-2008, 11:48 PM
Good to hear, was hoping to maintain and use this system, as I heard that over the road truckers use them with good success.

I know you said the Howard Steering System is out of Business, but that may not be the case? :confused:

They were distributed and installed by River City Products, in San Antonio, TX. I put their information below, for you to check with them if you need parts or information. Good Luck :)

River City Products, Inc.
199 West Rhapsody
San Antonio, TX 78216

Toll Free: 1-800-879-4277

Gary S.

02-11-2008, 07:31 AM
I know you said the Howard Steering System is out of Business, but that may not be the case? :confused:

They were distributed and installed by River City Products, in San Antonio, TX. I put their information below, for you to check with them if you need parts or information. Good Luck :)

199 West Rhapsody
San Antonio, TX 78216

Gary S.
Thanks Gary, I will forward this to the Service manager at Marathon out in Coburg. Pat (service Mgr) was the one who told me they were out of business. Maybe Pat ( marathon) should spend time on the Pog site.

Joe Cannarozzi
03-02-2008, 10:25 PM
Ever since learning of this feature I have been intrigued.

The manufacturer is gone correct?

Is this something that can be installed. I guess a call to River City Products is in order.

Could someone post some pictures of the buisness end of it, I'd love to see what it looks like.

03-03-2008, 06:49 AM
Ever since learning of this feature I have been intrigued.

The manufacturer is gone correct?

Is this something that can be installed. I guess a call to River City Products is in order.

Could someone post some pictures of the buisness end of it, I'd love to see what it looks like.
My contact at Marathon said that I have a leak in the hydraulic arm under the drivers side coach inboard of the front left tire. It is n orange colored large shock like arm that is weeping fluid. Marathon said that they could send it out for some custom work ($$$) and have the seals replaced. I would like to find the original replacement parts if possible. I am very interested in using this feature.

03-03-2008, 07:13 AM
Here is the link to the supplier:

199 West Rhapsody
San Antonio, TX 78216

Phone: (210)377-0631
Fax: (210)377-1089

Manufacturing, Wholesale Distribution, and Installation of
HOWARD POWER CENTER STEERING™ SYSTEM

03-03-2008, 06:00 PM
Here is the link to the supplier:

199 West Rhapsody
San Antonio, TX 78216

Phone: (210)377-0631
Fax: (210)377-1089

Manufacturing, Wholesale Distribution, and Installation of
HOWARD POWER CENTER STEERING™ SYSTEM
Heres the latest scoop on the Howard Active Steering System parts availability.

I spoke with Sam Kopecky today, the representative, last man standing at Howard. skopecky@campingworld.com Cell# 1-210-422-8484. Sam was a tech person at Howard before it went OB. Nice guy, he feels badly that he can not be of much help.

Here is the deal. They have enough parts to cover the needs of existing warrantee customers maybe. They have not manufactured new parts for a while and have no inventiory, none. PS. You can by the patents and molds, the company for $200K maybe a lot less. There are about 4500 customers using the steering system.

If you know anyone who has a Howard Active Steering dampener, Hydraulic cylinder part # 10A001-10-H I am a customer. this is a 10" cylinder, they had two models a 10 and 12". This one is for a independent front end Prevost and sits right next to the Prevost dampener.

Thanks.

Joe Cannarozzi
03-03-2008, 06:42 PM
Well one a you guys with the thing is gonna have to let me check it out, behind the wheel with a good hard crosswind.

I've never seen this on a truck and either has everyone I have asked.

Ya know how many stiff necks I've encountered over the years that it would have eliminated.

03-03-2008, 06:53 PM
Well one a you guys with the thing is gonna have to let me check it out, behind the wheel with a good hard crosswind.

I've never seen this on a truck and either has everyone I have asked.

Ya know how many stiff necks I've encountered over the years that it would have eliminated.
Sam is the best saleman they ever had, even though he never sold anything. He said that they have 66 documented cases of the system holding a front blow out straight and steady. He got my vote, and said that Howard, now 89 was so intent on making the tolerances so close. He felt that to make the system work well, everything had to be just so. apparently it makes for a difficult exchange process of certain parts. have to heat up brackets to get some parts out, like the cylinder from the bracket.