PDA

View Full Version : Jon Does It Again

tdelorme
02-09-2008, 10:42 PM
We were running down I49 this morning when I noticed the left side pyro needle was running way high, and the turbo boost was zero. Not good, so I bailed out at the first exit and found a place to stop. I went back to the engine compartment while Jan looked up "The Man's" number and by the time I got back in the coach Jon was on the phone. When I described what was going on, he knew exactly what the problem was and what needed to be done. After spending an hour or so on the phone, I found a left side turbo boost tube at Stewart & Stevenson in Broussard, La which was about two hours from where we had stopped. I went ahead and bought the right side tube while I was there. Replacing the cracked tube took all of five minutes and we were back under way.
Jon, Thanks. Just knowing you, and a number of other POG'ers are out there willing to help makes joining POG look like a mighty good investment. We lost about four hours traveling time today. Without your help, we would have lost several days and we need to be in Daytona Beach by Tuesday morning. You DaMan A1.

Toy Box
02-09-2008, 11:34 PM
Are you folks coming down for speedweeks? We are parked at the racetrack r v call if we can help. 954-646-4490

tdelorme
02-10-2008, 06:47 AM
Yea, TB, we are headed your way. We are staying at the Volusia County Fairgrounds and will go to and from the track in a charter bus. I just couldn't do the infield and that was the only available RV area when we decided to come down. Thanks for the phone number, I'll give you a call later in the week. Nice to see Jr. running so well last night, so maybe it was the car and not the driver. You all have fun.

jello_jeep
02-10-2008, 07:23 PM
How about some pictures of the parts & full description of the repair, as well as the cause & effect of it Ted ?

tdelorme
02-10-2008, 09:01 PM
How about some pictures of the parts & full description of the repair, as well as the cause & effect of it Ted ?

Sure, Warren, I'll be glad to do that. Might be a few days but I'll get it done before long. I wish I had taken a picture of the pyro needles when it happened. I was used to the needles being at an equal number and it was real strange to see the left side needle going up so high. That and zero boost pressure was a new experience for me. Remember, my engine is an 8V92T not a series 60.

Jon Wehrenberg
02-11-2008, 07:42 AM
The specific problem was on Ted's 8V92 turbo charger inlet tubes. These are the tubes which go from the cast iron exhaust manifold to the turbo charger.

Ted was down on power, his pyros were not approximately equal, and he had sooting in the engine compartment. He was not generating high levels of turbo boost.

All the clues added up to an exhaust system leak. It could have been a blown exhaust manifold gasket (fairly common), a cracked exhaust manifold, or a cracked or broken tubo charger inlet tube which it turned out to be. This problem is common to the 8V92 and while it is possible on the Series 60 it is a remote possibility.

FWIW, Ted's actual problem was one of the more common causes of the symptoms that he saw. It is also one of the easiest to locate. The exact same problem and symptoms can occur with a failed exhaust gasket, and unless you have kept the engine sparkling clean and the problem occurs near the front (rear of the bus) of the engine the sooting which will lead you to the problem may be almost impossible to see clearly.

win42
02-11-2008, 10:32 AM
Jon thanks for your private reply on our non operational coach water pump. When checked out the motor was trying to start, but the pump was frozen. We removed the pump. disasembled the whole thing. We found a ceramic collar that holds the shaft seal in place had a small chip missing and was probably the culprit binding up the pump impellers. Re-assembly brought good results after bleeding all the air out of the water system. We now have an operational toilet again.