PDA

View Full Version : Hatteras mini rally

ken&ellen
05-05-2006, 08:12 AM
Attention all East Coasters. Ellen & I frequent Hatteras Island during the summer months. We go to Camp Hatteras which offers cement pads, full hookups ( 50AMP ), lighted tennis courts, two pools, both ocean & sound access, and windsurfing ( not for me ). Check out the website by the same name. Any weekend from now until Nov. We promise great sea food, not as good as Mango's Crabcakes, but plenty of shrimp and crab. Ken & Ellen:D

truk4u
05-05-2006, 08:27 AM
Sounds good, let me know if you work out a weekend.

MangoMike
05-05-2006, 11:52 PM
I'm in! Any trip less than 500 miles has my attention.

Mango

rfoster
05-06-2006, 08:23 AM
Hey - how did you know what Micki was thinking? She was just looking at Camp Hatteras online. Just let us know the dates- Roger

rmboies
05-07-2006, 08:50 AM
Finally figured out how to use this forum:confused:

We would be up for a Cape Hatteras mini rally, sounds like fun!

Ken and Ellen, any particular dates you have in mind and if so, can you utilize Jeff's theory which means if you thought of it you own it? Love that quote!

Is anyone considering the Parliament rally in Asheville, NC in August? It is not limited to Parliament coaches, is in a beautiful area and the side trips are great. I am hoping it won't be like a "PP" rally:D

Will wait to hear from you Ken and Ellen on the Hatteras trip....

Bob and Debi

Jerry Winchester
05-07-2006, 09:54 AM
Bob & Debi,

Welcome to the forum and when you read all the older posts, bare in mind that several folks on this board are intermittantly under or over medicated.

I think K&E also mentioned Branson in the fall, so they own that one as well eh? Between Oshkosh, Santa Fe and Branson the year is filling up. Of course, unlike MangoMike, I still have to work pretty regularly. I heard Mike's staff had his photo running on the milk cartons around VA :confused:

rmboies
05-07-2006, 10:32 AM
thanks for the welcome--now that you have mentioned it, I was wondering if Lew needs meds during airplane discussions??=ha~!

Like Mango Mike, we are pretty much open to rallies within the 500 mile radius. Retirement does have it's advantages though the "being older" part is not one of them:eek: As far as October goes, we are hoping to be in your old stomping grounds, OKC, the week of October 8th, for world championship Morgan horse show (hear Bob groaning in the background?) so not sure we could make the Branson trip.

Debi and Bob by proxy

MangoMike
05-07-2006, 10:35 AM
http://www.prevoman.com/Pages/Upload/milk%20carton.jpg

MangoMike
05-07-2006, 10:38 AM
Welcome Debi & Bob!

I know you've been lurking on this site for a while, so it's good to see you post. Although w/ Debi posting it probably won't be long before Ms. Donna will want to start posting. There goes the mens club :)

Mike

You need to get a horse avatar (the little pix next to your name)

rmboies
05-07-2006, 11:02 AM
Although w/ Debi posting it probably won't be long before Ms. Donna will want to start posting. There goes the mens club :)
Mike You need to get a horse avatar (the little pix next to your name)[/QUOTE]

Where is Mrs. Mango, I think she needs to post as well? Maybe us girls will bring out the feminine side of the "mens" club:rolleyes: Then you could all be "metro-sexual" ha~!

No horse avatars allowed as long as the sign in screen name is "rmboies". Did you receive my message about Bob looking at Prevost shells?? Lord help us all, me imparticular.

Debi disquised as Bob

Jon Wehrenberg
05-07-2006, 04:58 PM
Dear Debi Disguised as Bob,

"Looking at shells"???????

As intriguing as the concept of building your own coach appears, except for the ability to proudly say I did it myself I think even to the most capable the project is expensive and time consuming.

Let's start with the expensive part. By the time you buy the shell (not a small investment) and the stuff that makes the shell a house you are well north of $500,000. On the surface that seems cheap compared to the prices new coaches are selling for. But there is a whole lot more involved, including the depreciation of all of the stuff during the time it takes to assemble your own bus.

Then there is the time. By my estimates, based on conversations with various converters the typical coach takes 7,000 to 9,000 man hours. Bear in mind these are the hours to assemble an already proven design, using components that already have been programmed for their CNC machines, and wiring systems that have been assembled the same way for years. For an individual to tackle the construction of a coach it takes skill in plumbing, woodworking, electrical design, AC, audio visual systems, and interior decorating.

I can envision a home built conversion taking four years. In today's market you can buy a professionally converted 4 year old slide coach for $800,000 or less. That is where you will be when the home built conversion is finished. You will have a four year old coach.

But don't let my negative comments dissuade anyone. When a competent builder puts together a conversion, if it is done right there will be nothing more satisfying than having it exactly the way you want it. And when someone shows up at a POG rally with a conversion they did themselves they will get the anal award and it will be retired because nobody will be able to top that.:D

Jerry Winchester
05-07-2006, 09:17 PM
Debi,

I thought Mike was a metrosexual before I actually met him :eek: After he told me the Christmas story and the skydive story and the story about him and those sheep; oh, never mind about that one......

My wife now bugs me about wanting to read the posts since she now thinks knows everyone, but she is a closet poster. She just tells me if I need to harpoon Lew or Mike. :rolleyes: So now I have to be real careful what I say ;)

I think I just need to be in line for all the hand-me-down coaches that the rest of you pass on. Us working guys have all the social security to pay in and with Jon being unemployable it all falls to the proletariate.

rmboies
05-07-2006, 09:48 PM
I have passed on the words of "Obie Jon Kanobi" to bob-00 . I think he has already figured out everything you wrote in your post but I am making him read it anyway;) Besides, he would never ever want to take the anal award away from you!

Jerry, please tell Rae to post--Bob can't type or he would be writing these things himself--I think I read about the sheep in the archives<G>

Debi and Bob

ken&ellen
05-08-2006, 08:44 AM
Jerry, we bought our Liberty with the idea that if the platform was in good condition ( Chassis, engine, tranny, & etc. ) we could upgrade the coach vs buying a different coach every couple of years. Of course the POG rally was a big setback to that thought process........new...shinny metal......gizmos......( water in desert speach after a week in the sun)Need.....new....coach.....must have....:eek: Back in the safety of Southern VA....we settled on a Jeep Liberty with a matching paint color. By the way Ellen has always read the posts and since we sign in as Ken & Ellen it is hard to say who is posting what????

We will post several dates for the Hatteras trip......hopefully it will fit schedules of the potential attendees. There is a nice airport in Maneo for those who wish to fly in for the day

Steve Cooper
05-08-2006, 12:52 PM
You mentioned the Parliament Rally in Asheville in an earlier post, so I thought I'd mention this. If you want to come you are more than welcome. The Parliament Travel Club is open to any Class A coach as we have members with Prevosts, Blue Birds, Vogue's , you name it. Dues are only $35.00 per year and we typically do three rallies a year which leaves time for other groups as well. You can come as a guest but you would still need to fill out the reservation form that's on the Parliament Coach Corp. website.
The Asheville rally will fill up in a hurry and it's limited to the first 50 coaches because the campground is kinda small. Smaller rallies are more fun anyway.
There are more than a few Parliament Travel Club members who hang around this site so you would be in good company (did I really say that?).
Check out the Parliament Coach Corp. website for more information. I believe there is a link on this website.
Steve

ken&ellen
05-08-2006, 09:50 PM
Hello Everyone,

Ken and I have finally come up with some dates for the Hatteras Mini rally. If anyone is interested the campground is great (Camp Hatteras). The beach is just over the sand dunes. The sites have cement pads and are plenty large for all of the buses. A great seafood store right down the way for the &quot;Seafood Potluck&quot;. And yes, we own it! The three choices would be the weekends of June 9,10,11; July 21, 22, 23 or July 28, 29, 30. If there is enough interest we can probably even get a group rate. They do that with our other camping club we are in. Please send an email if you are at all interested, as it is a great place to go. The ferry is free to go over to Ocracoke Island. They have the wild ponies, British cemetary and many other fun things to do on the island. Look forward to hearing from you all!
Ellen& Ken

MangoMike
05-08-2006, 11:20 PM
K & E,

Would love to make it. July 21 is the OSH Rally, but July 28th looks good for Mike and the Mangoettes (be very afraid as the girls are coming).

MM

ken&ellen
05-09-2006, 07:02 AM
Great Mike & Donna, glad you can make it. You'll love it there by the beach.I'll send the contact info once we finalize some more info. Not sure I can cook as well as you can, but I'll give it the &quot;'old college catering job&quot; try!!

rmboies
05-09-2006, 01:27 PM
Hello Everyone,
Ken and I have finally come up with some dates for the Hatteras Mini rally. If anyone is interested the campground is great (Camp Hatteras). The beach is just over the sand dunes. The sites have cement pads and are plenty large for all of the buses. A great seafood store right down the way for the &quot;Seafood Potluck&quot;. And yes, we own it! The three choices would be the weekends of June 9,10,11; July 21, 22, 23 or July 28, 29, 30. Ellen& Ken

Ken and Ellen,

Bob and I are in for the July 28,29,30 dates. Exactly where is Camp Hatteras, is it far out on the cape or near the entrance?

Debi and Bob

MangoMike
05-09-2006, 02:18 PM
Hey this is great about Debi & Bob.

Wonder if BOB-00 will have a new bus by then.:)

MM

rmboies
05-09-2006, 02:30 PM
&quot;Wonder if BOB-00 will have a new bus by then.
MM&quot;

only if you buy the one he has now MM--LOL

Debi(literally along for the ride:)

ken&ellen
05-10-2006, 07:03 AM
Debi & Bob, Coming in on I-64 to Maneo you will join State route 12. Go South on Rt. 12 for about 24 miles. You will go through Oregon Outlet and across the Bonner Bridge. Camp Hatteras is on a plot of land that is not much wider than 1/4 -1/3 mile. If you stand on your coach you can watch the sound and the ocean. Sunsets on the sound rival the picture Mango posted on his site. Looking forward to seeing you again. Ken & Ellen

rmboies
05-10-2006, 08:44 AM
Debi & Bob, Camp Hatteras is on a plot of land that is not much wider than 1/4 -1/3 mile. If you stand on your coach you can watch the sound and the ocean. Sunsets on the sound rival the picture Mango posted on his site. Looking forward to seeing you again. Ken & Ellen&quot;

Ken and Ellen, sadly, we have to put our plans to join you at the cape on hold for now.:confused: Bob came home after a meeting yesterday and it appears that we are purchasing a new business! At this point and time, I am not certain we can go that far away for the next few months and some of this business may require weekend duty. Until things get settled I guess you could say we are unsettled:eek:

There is still a chance we may attend but unfortunately I cannot give you a definitive answer right now. I was really looking forward to seeing you too and those gorgeous sunsets. Bob has never been to the cape and I know he would enjoy it. Oh well, you can make the businessman retire but who says you can keep him that way????

Debi

MangoMike
05-10-2006, 09:47 AM
Geez, I hope it wasn't a restaurant. I don't need anymore competition, especially from BOB-00.

MM

rmboies
05-10-2006, 12:23 PM
no restaurants--you can have the headaches that come with those--it is a wholesale go-cart parts business--that's big here in the south you know!

BOB-00

ken&ellen
05-19-2006, 07:12 AM
We took a trip down this past weekend with my daughter and my grandson. Weather was nice. We missed all the rain in Nags Head, but we could watch the storm from the sound side of the island. Camp Hatteras offers free WiFi so Mango can stay connected.:D Ken & Ellen

MangoMike
06-09-2006, 11:48 AM
K & E,

Is the Hatteras rally still on forf July 28th? Do I need to send in some Lew Bucks? The Mangoettes are excited and can't wait to build a sandcastle in your Marathon painted Liberty.

MM

ken&ellen
06-09-2006, 04:33 PM
Mango & Mangoettes....be there or be square. The date is correct and the water will be just right. Maybe Tom & Nancy will bring &quot; Big Red &quot; up from GA, if he can stop stiring up trouble on Prevost-Stuff long enough:p
Looking forward to the trip. Ken & Ellen

truk4u
06-10-2006, 09:52 AM
The trip is in Big Red's future there Mr. Delta Joliet and for those that don't know Ken's musical background, here is an earlier picture.:D

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/8c/Wolfmanjack.jpg/300px-Wolfmanjack.jpg

ken&ellen
06-13-2006, 09:12 PM
Hello Mango,Tom and anyone else wnating to join in,

Glad to hear that you are planning to go to Hatteras. We are looking forward to it and have always had great weather there. You will each need to call and reserve your site. The phone number is 252-987-2777. Say you want to be with the Kanes, unless of course you truly don't want to be with the Kanes!! We will be on the ocean side and on 50 amp sites. Short distance to pool and ocean front. Beautiful sunset view over the sound side as well. Web site to check out the place is www.camphatteras.com. The Kane's will provide a fine dinner of famous Binghamton Spiedies & Salt Potatoes for all willing to try them. Not sure we can top Mango's famous meal but will give it the 'ol college try. Speaking of colleges, mine is in the College World Series (CSUF). JDUB, what college did you say you went to?? I don't see them in the World Series? Oh well, better luck next year. See you soon, Ellen & Ken

lewpopp
06-13-2006, 10:23 PM
boy, would sure like to get my belly full of those Binghamton Spiedies. Those Greeks had the best. I have to lie low this summer because of the cost of fuel. Lew Bucks are lower than normal. Do you believe that?

MangoMike
06-19-2006, 08:40 PM
K & E,

Am all registered w/ the campground, in fact we're staying until Tuesday the 1st because it looks so cool. I Checked out their website and it looks terrific. Since it's located right on the beach and sound, am bringing my windsurf stuff so I can do a little tandem action w/ Ken.

Mike

ken&ellen
06-19-2006, 09:48 PM
Mike, Tandem action....? Windsurf.....? I am not sure what you are smoking, but bring a bag to Hatteras.:cool: Actually, back in my Ski Patrol days we could have done the double diamond at White Face....but today....I will have to live vicariously through you. Although they have windsurfing right at Camp Hatteras the best spot is down the road a bit in Buxton / Cape Hatteras area on the sound side. Ken

MangoMike
08-03-2006, 07:08 PM
Ken and Ellen were right on the money about Camp Hatteras. Park is both on the ocean and the sound. Great beach and the sound offers Jet Ski's, Kayaks, windsurfing and kitesurfing. Park is very clean w/ 2 pools, great bath houses, 50amps (no issues even w/ the extreme heat) and nice clubhouse. Not a lot of restaurants or shopping in town and your best bet is to head south about 18 miles to Avon to spend those Lew Bucks.

Ellen made some great Binghamton Spiedies and we ate until our eyes bulged.

Nice time.

Mike

Jerry Winchester
08-03-2006, 11:16 PM
No photos?

I go take a crap at OSH and a photo of it gets posted on the Internet. You take a trip to the beach and nary a pic to prove it happened. What's up with that?

MangoMike
08-03-2006, 11:43 PM
Jeez, You don't cut anyone any slack.

Ok OK, I'll post the photo of Ken takin' a crap.

MM

Jon Wehrenberg
08-04-2006, 07:37 AM
Both of you guys are really screwed up. Big time.

I do not take a crap. I leave a crap. You guys are obviously doing it wrong.