PDA

View Full Version : New Blood & Need Help

doodlebug45
01-30-2008, 09:03 PM
Howdy folks! My name is Hugh and my wife is Linda. We live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada and have been POG members for about 2 whole days so far. I have read enough posts to realize that this group is suitably crazy enough for us to feel right at home. Last year we sold our older Bluebird so we could concentrate on our boats. We have a Canoe Cove 42B trawler yacht with twin Volvo diesels and share a Bayliner 3416 (twin Hinos) with another couple. The 3416 is rigged for salmon fishing but our 42B, "Journey" is just for cruising the beautiful waters of the West Coast. We keep both boats at Campbell River on Vancouver Island. According to our kids & grandchildren we are both certifiably crazy as you will probably find out in future posts. We tell everybody we are semi-retired because we are too busy to hold down real jobs. We recently decided that we miss our RV and need to get back at it. We also decided that this time around we would go top drawer and get a Prevost conversion. We have done a fair amount of research and are close to buying our first Prevost. However, we could really use some help and advice. I will post our dilemma in the "Nice Bus ---" category. We are glad to be on board and look forward to meeting some of you in the future.

dalej
01-30-2008, 09:10 PM
doodle, your right at home. Feel free to ask away, we will need to know more about those boats and if we are able to get rides when in the area. :)

VegasDogMan
01-30-2008, 09:21 PM
Hugh...

So you've got the bug for a coach eh?

I know of a well maintained 2000 Liberty 40' coach with Canadian registration coming up for sale in next 30 days or so.

Original Owner just bought new 08 coach and is looking to sell.

Coach is currently in Las Vegas and will return to Winnepeg when weather permits.

If you're interested, email me your contact info and I'll have owner contact you directly.

My email is lee.b@trims.com

Wife and I will be in your area in June/July - We stay with friends just north of you in Carstairs.

Maybee we can get together and talk coaches!

Jerry Winchester
01-30-2008, 09:35 PM
Someone new to abuse. It's like Christmas coming early.

JDUB says "hey" and welcome. Eh.

jello_jeep
01-31-2008, 08:27 AM
Howdy DB come on in, the water is fine.

Oops, have to translate to Canadian,,,

Howdy DB, come on in, the water is fine, ay. :)

Ahhh fresh victims :)

Welcome !

doodlebug45
01-31-2008, 12:27 PM
Now hold on guys! Us Canucks are timid folks with thin skins! Our only claims to fame are drinking beer and that genteel sport of hockey. Some say that breathing all this cold air up here has affected our brains so we can't stand too much abuse. Someone should tell our government who keeps abusing us with the highest taxes in the world! They're still trying to figure out how to run the second largest country in the world with taxes from a total population not much bigger than that of New York city. Be gentle with us poor folks. BTW, thanks for the warm? welcome.

The D'Bug

Darl-Wilson
01-31-2008, 01:22 PM
We're glad to see some more sensible people in this group. Hopefully you will have a coach and can make to POG-VI rally to be held in Pahrump, NV at the Seibt Desert Retreat (http://www.seibtdesertretreat.com/) in May.
Actually you folks don't even need a coach. Motels abound in this area and there is always room in JDUB'S spare bedroom.
(He's the mean guy.)

Welcome!!:)

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-31-2008, 02:30 PM
Hi Hugh & Linda, welcome to the fine formal group of those smitten with MPD and Corona Kelly. ;)
Ask post haste any dumb question that comes to mind. That way we can give you dumb answers made up on the spur of the moment.
Good deal on keeping your boats on Vancouver island, that's one of my favorite areas of your country!
Do come to the Rallies even without a bus. You will still enjoy the event. I can attest to that.
There's a great group of guys and gals here with at least one thing in common.
They were all bussless at one time.:eek:

VegasDogMan
01-31-2008, 05:28 PM
Quit complaining about Taxes.
In Alberta you don't have PST. At least you're not in Manitoba.
As I'm told, Alberta is the richest province in Canada. Lotsa Oil, Canadian Rockies and American tourist dollars.

doodlebug45
01-31-2008, 07:22 PM
Manitoba?? I thought everybody left and turned the lights out. Don't kid yourself about life in Alberta these days. Sometimes its like living in a tornado. 100 additional cars on the road every day and its hard to find a place to live. We have the highest rate of inflation in North America. My whining about taxes is because I just got my property tax assessment that is up 50% over last year. I think this must have been what the Yukon gold rush was like. I can't wait to get my bus and hit the road for just about anywhere else, PST or not! Nice place to visit but I'm no longer sure about living here, especially retired.

D'Bug

garyde
01-31-2008, 11:23 PM
Although my wife was born here in Santa Barbara, both her parents are from Montreal, Canada. I kid her because she has inherited a Canadian accent.
We spent a wonderful 8 days RVing on Vancouver Island ( VICTORIA & PORT MCNEILL). Wish I could have spent a month.

MangoMike
02-01-2008, 11:14 AM
DB45,

Welcome.

...and I don't care where you're from, as long as you like Jerk Chicken.

Mango Mike

doodlebug45
02-04-2008, 03:14 AM
Hi folks. Slight interruption in communications while Linda had eye surgery and I played nurse. BTW she's doing great.
In response to Dale, we would be happy to welcome you guys on board our boat "Journey". The only criteria is that we have to be there too. Right now my schedule isn't showing a lot of boat time but I'm working on it. Let me know if you're heading that way and I can let you know if we'll be there.
The 2000 liberty sounds great Lee but I know its way outside my price range. I'm in a TBC too but the "B" stands for boat in my case. Linda chips in with "2 tractors and 2 restoration project cars too". (Little does she know its actually 3 cars but 1 is hid). Hope you got my email.
Hey JDUB & Warren! You shouldn't oughta make fun of our speech impediments eh. More on that later.
The rally sounds good Darl & Jim but not sure we can make it but we will try. My schedule currently says that I will be sanding and varnishing a bunch of boat teak that is way overdue for some TLC. The rally sounds like more fun. Just what do mean by that "sensible" crack?
Sorry about the Manitoba crack Lee. Hope you know I was only kidding. My dad was stationed in Winnipeg for a few years with the army and I visited when I wasn't in university or working. Beautiful lakes and parks in the summer but I still remember snow banks higher than city buses at Christmas time. My son-in-law's family hails from the Saint Rose area where they have some massive grain farms. The family name is Ives and they call themselves hillbillies.
Hey Gary. From my experience in travelling all over this country there are probably in excess of 15 different accents. I used to have an office way down East in Newfoundland and I could hardly understand them and by the time you get to the other end at Victoria, you would think you were in England. In the middle you get a whole mishmash of immigrant influences as well as our other official language, French. There are so many American oilmen in Alberta that we mostly sound like we're a mix of Colorado, Montana and Texas. I sure do love Vancouver Island along with the San Juan & Gulf Islands. You should try to get back there for some salmon fishing.
I don't just like Jerk Chicken Mike, I love it. My son is a lawyer but his best claim to fame is his Jerk Chicken meals. I've seen grown men cry!
We're glad to be on board. The coach search seems to be going well.
Hugh (D'Bug) & Linda:)

Darl-Wilson
02-04-2008, 02:12 PM
I don't know if this has anything to do with this "New Blood" subject but 'DoodleBug' (http://www.lst1090.org/scooter/index.htm) is a fond memory for me and I remember them back in 1945. Am I the only one that recalls these things? Does the "Doodlebug45" have any connection to these devices? If so, I withdraw my 'sensible' crack.

Nice to know you Hugh and Linda!

doodlebug45
02-05-2008, 12:39 AM
Hi Darl. In this case Doodlebug is a term for some folks in the geophysical business including geophysicists like me. The 45 is just the year I was born. To my English mother, the term referred to Hitler's version of the cruise missile that was also known as the V2 (Or was it V1).

Hugh (D'Bug)

Darl-Wilson
02-05-2008, 01:48 PM
V-1. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-1_flying_bomb) I remember they were called 'buzz bombs' on the newsreels we would see at our local theaters during the war. Thanks for the explanation.

Darl