PDA

View Full Version : Seen on the way to the Socal Mini Rally

Petervs
01-22-2008, 02:06 PM
We spent a night at Marathon in Coburg, Oregon on our way south to the Mini Rally near San Diego. Since most Poggers live far east and south of Marathon, I thought I would post a few pictures of what I saw on their lot while we were there. We got there after business hours so I spoke to no one.

I will post just one pic with each listing because I am on a very slow and unreliable server.
This first one is an H3-45 shell as it arrives at Marathon. 4 slides! Could not tell if Prevost or some other company installed the slides. When looking in from the windshield, it was apparent that the bedroom is very cramped with the slides closed. We spend a lot of nights in places where opening slides would not be sensible, so maybe slides are not for us. N

Notice too all the stainless steel. I think the H boys should be required to remove some fenders while at POG rallies to show off their polishing prowess.

Petervs
01-22-2008, 02:14 PM
Here is a coach in for some service work. The designer apparently used some left over windows from the Titanic.

Everyone is allowed to do what they like. We do not all need to think it is a good idea.

Petervs
01-22-2008, 02:20 PM
Here is a fairly late model with some really cool fenders. They reminded me of something out of Star Wars. Perhaps one could install JATO bottles in there to provide some extra power to get up the steep hills pulling a stacker trailer?

Petervs
01-22-2008, 02:42 PM
Here is a coach that is equipped with the VORAD radar cruise control, which adjusts your speed to the traffic ahead. I have a similar system on my Mercedes and it is truly incredible, but I think this installation makes the bumper not qualified to bump much, unless you want to replace the $5000 radar frequently.

Ray Davis
01-22-2008, 02:51 PM
Very cool stuff Peter. I think that last issue of Marathon magazine introduced the 4 slide H-45 coach. I don't have it here so I can't verify that.

Ray

Loc
01-22-2008, 04:27 PM
Peter,

I think the XL with the port holes belongs to Bruce and Pam.

Loc

jack14r
01-22-2008, 05:38 PM
Marathon on their H conversions uses Valid slides,on their XLII conversions they are all Prevost.I have heard that Kevin Harvick's new 4 slide Marathon which has the stairwell where the passenger seat would normally be,no one can get to the salon unless the front slide on the curb side is opened.Does anyone know how far the 4 slides extend?From the pictures in the marathon magazine and pictures on line it does not appear that the slides extend more than 20-24 inches.

Petervs
01-22-2008, 07:15 PM
Here is an older Marathon conversion of a Neoplan. I have seen this coach here before, I think it is for sale, but not sure.

The front door goes to the passenger seat, there is an identical one on the drivers side. The second door goes to a spiral staircase right to the top floor. You can also access the drivers and passengers seats from the second door or the staircase while driving . Interestingly, there are 3 seats in that lower drivers compartment, which is too low to stand up, crouch at best. The upstairs though has a front window view that can't be beat while going down the road, but you have to have total trust in the driver!

Not to mention the cool wheel covers! This coach looked to be 40 feet, perhaps even 38.

Windshield wipers hang down from above, and the right side mirror is set way back compared to Prevost. The drivers seat is too low to the ground for my taste.

Petervs
01-22-2008, 07:24 PM
Here is a picture taken of the first four slide bus picture I posted on this thread. This is the area just above the rear wheels, but below the floor. It shows the pneumatic plumbing for the air bags, brakes, level low, who knows what it is all for. It was hard to get a good picture showing just what a rats nest it looked like to me.

I think the original Prevost install was probably neat and tidy, but the parts were moved when the slide was installed. This is my guess. I was not impressed with the final install on all these hoses.

Petervs
01-22-2008, 07:46 PM
Here is another new shell, this one has the front slide out.

It looks like there would be room to build a stairway to the main level and have room to get up there with the slide in.

Might be hard to get the steps built in there because you would need to allow for the front wheel well, but it might be possible.

I always thought it would be nice to have my copilot close by, rather than all the way across to the right side of the bus. But she might end up looking right at the windshield divider?

This is my last interesting picture.

By the way, on the subject of tires. All the new coaches have 365/70R22.5 tires all around.

jack14r
01-22-2008, 09:13 PM
Peter,Measure how far that slide extends.also if the other side is out measure it also.

Petervs
01-22-2008, 09:28 PM
Jack,
I am not your errand boy!

Besides, I was at Marathon last Tuesday and am now 800 miles south of there, and I am afraid my tape measure is not that long.

YOU could easily call Marathon and simply ask them!

jack14r
01-22-2008, 09:33 PM
peter,I thought you just got there,your pictures are great.The slides on the 4 slide coach look shallow.

jack14r
01-23-2008, 03:09 PM
I checked with Marathon and they said that the curb side slides are 24 inches deep and the drivers side are 30 inches deep.I also asked what a 4 slide weighed,and the first one they did weighed 50,120 Lbs.The salesman also said that most customers want 2 slides in the front and only 1 in the bedroom,because this gives the greatest bang for the buck.If this weight is correct I am impressed.My 2 slide XLII weighs 51,880 Lbs,the non slide 2001 XLII that I sold JDUB weighed 49,500 Lbs.I am not convinced that the weight that the Marathon salesman quoted is accurate,I would weigh it before I took the plunge.

Coloradobus
01-23-2008, 05:09 PM
Talking to Marathon this afternoon, Kevin Harvick's coach is driven by a professional driver for Kevin. So, moving about the coach with slides in is really not an issue. Having said that, with the front curb slide in, you can get by it to go up the stairs to the rest of the coach since there is no passenger seat.
On the weight issue. Marathon has targeted to remove a total of 1200 pounds from their new coaches. Currently, they have trimmed over 900 pounds, with more to go. They are utilizing lighter weight materials, such a metal backed thinner granite tiles, such as Granite Lite-like products. etc. and other weight saving techniques..
They weigh their coaches dry. So very little fuel, and no water. A loaded coach will weigh more when it hits the scale. .

jack14r
01-23-2008, 07:19 PM
Even with fuel and water it would only add about 2000-2500 Lbs.Marathon has really cut some weight out of their coaches,and if they can cut more it will only help.I thought that the 4 slide coaches would be over weight.I imagine valid has kept the weight of the slides down also.Valid does all of the Newell and the Marathon H slides along with their other products,their engineering and growth curve must be steep.

garyde
01-23-2008, 08:57 PM
I believe it is important to remember the limits on the front axle weight, and the rear axle weight when considering these new Buses. If you are at 51 k before you add 170 gallons of diesel, and 140 Gallons of water plus a individuals personal belongings and themselves, they are probable over the weight limits.

truk4u
01-23-2008, 09:39 PM
Jack,

Marathon will have a couple coaches at Pt St Lucie according to Lew and I'll be glad to be your errand boy and measure them for you, just let me know if you need the measurements.;)

jack14r
01-24-2008, 09:42 PM
Truk,Why not,they say that the slides are 30 and 24 inches deep,if that is the case the salon is 100+30+24=154 inches or almost 13 feet wide(approximate).Also check what size tires are on the 4 slide coaches,the drives still should have 315's.Also if you can verify the weight,I think Marathon weighs their coaches with no water and minimum fuel.If the 4 slide weighs close to 50,000 I AM IMPRESSED.Thanks,Jack

shookie
01-25-2008, 08:17 AM
always helpful to see what's going on in the market....thanks again

Petervs
01-25-2008, 12:49 PM
Jack14r, all the new coaches at Marathon had 365/70R22.5 tires all around. These are even bigger than the 315s.

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-25-2008, 02:28 PM
Jack14r, all the new coaches at Marathon had 365/70R22.5 tires all around. These are even bigger than the 315s.

FYI I have seen many fire trucks using this size.