PDA

View Full Version : Another Air Leak Question

tdelorme
01-13-2008, 08:31 AM
I have a small air leak that sounds like it is coming from the step cover slide. When the cover is retracted, I can hear just a tiny leak noise (hissing) when I lean down with my ear against the top step. When the cover is extended there is no sound. Access to the slide mechanism is a mystery. Does anyone know how to get to the valve for the step cover in a 1991 Liberty. Thanks

Joe Cannarozzi
01-13-2008, 08:59 AM
What way does it slide? Front to back or left to right?

tdelorme
01-13-2008, 09:03 AM
What way does it slide? Front to back or left to right?

Joe, it slides left to right.

Joe Cannarozzi
01-13-2008, 09:45 AM
O/K ours goes front to back. There are however some universal aspects.

There is 2 things that could be leaking an air line to it or the cylinder itself.

Generally speaking the converters were all VERY clever in hiding fasteners and hardware So I really cant help much there other that to say after a real long good look you will decipher the puzzle of construction to dismantle enough to diagnose.

Once you get to it it is the soapy water treatment.

Yours is leaking in the closed position so it will either be the air line going in where the ram comes out and attaches to the step or the orifice that the the ram goes through the end cap.

Have you looked at the ceiling in the steering bay to see if it protrudes there?

This thread leads me to a couple of questions. Are these cylinders rebuildable and has anyone done this. They are located all around the bus in various dimensions. How about a source for parts or replacements?

Jon Wehrenberg
01-13-2008, 10:32 AM
I have bad news Ted. There is no valve. That is why I did my recent aux air valve project.

The floor slide is the regulated air supply. Can you turn down the pressure to zero on the regulator at the top of the steer compartment? The leak will not repair itself so the key is to access the cylinder and its connections and locate and repair the leak. I think it is accessible through the little drawer under the slide (if you have one), or through the top of the steer compartment. In our other coach I could unscrew the tracks and lift out the slide. You can see the connection if you are outside the coach, door open, and look under the slide with it extended.

On the aux air manifold the floor slide air line is the one to the right rear on the manifold if you want to disconnect it and cap it.