PDA

View Full Version : Carpet for Bay Floor and Walls

dreamchasers
01-11-2008, 07:30 AM
I have a project of removing my large house battery holder and repainting the metal frame. All this will entail removing the house battery set (UGH!), which will be very heavy work (I'll get help.). But since I will have the battery tray out of the coach, I should replace the carpet in the basement bay. It appears the battery tray is mounted through the floor and sits on top of the carpet.

Where is a good outlet for purchasing the carpet. My carpet sort of looks like indoor /outdoor carpet, a gray color? I am OK with buying the carpet in bulk.

Any input is appreciated.

Hector

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-11-2008, 08:06 AM
Hector, under where to find stuff, Deb's sources are:http://www.garysupholstery.com/ntohull.html

http://www.fabricsandvinyls.com/products/72hull_liner.htm

Also for the battery box/frame use por15 or rust bullet painthttp://www.por15.com/

http://www.rustbullet.com/?source=adwords&gclid=CKrjvsGf7pACFQKHPAodMh703Q

Also talked about in POG. Remember I suggested to read all posts.

truk4u
01-11-2008, 08:29 AM
Hector,

While you in there, make sure the open area under the batteries is clear of any junk. CC does a really poor job of venting that compartment. In addition to the battery heat, they stack the inverters on top of the batteries adding even more heat to the compartment and the only other vent is mounted up high and goes back to the rear wheel compartment. I'm trying to figure out a way to add a fan.

dalej
01-11-2008, 03:12 PM
Tom, does your battery/inverter bay door have vents in it? Our bat. bay has a squirrel cage fan that kicks on when the temp in high and sucks air thru the gen. bay into the bat./inverter bay and blows the warm air out thru the bay door.

I unhooked it..when its hot outside I crack the door and let the hot air out when the batteries are on high charge. It doesn't happen two often. I just don't like things on the bus that start with me telling them to.

truk4u
01-11-2008, 09:08 PM
Dale,

Nope, no vents in the doors or fans of any kind. Just a whimpy little box in the back of the compartment that vents to the space between the last bay and the drive axle, near the leveling valve.

lewpopp
01-11-2008, 10:15 PM
Hector,

The price of $17.99 a yard seems like a lot.

If I recall correctly, Warshawsky had it in their book a while ago and I bought some. Come to think of it, it was about 6-7 yrs ago. I had to buy a roll and it cost about 60-70- lewbucks as I recall. I'd purchase some more now if someone finds it again.

I hope we're talking about the same thing. It is the felt-like covering of all of the compartments below, right?

garyde
01-11-2008, 10:53 PM
My Coach has a fan that runs 24/7 with no t-stat. It is a 120 volt fan similar to what are used in computers and servers. I replaced one when I first got the coach but this one has been running for well over a year no problem. This compartment has all of the disconnects, fuses, low voltage relays for lighting, the 2 inverters, and the gen battery. There is a small opening vent in the floor to draw fresh air in and the fan vents into the center bay where the house batteries & 2 - air compressors, and 2 A/C condensor units are located.

dreamchasers
01-12-2008, 06:17 AM
Hector,

The price of $17.99 a yard seems like a lot.

If I recall correctly, Warshawsky had it in their book a while ago and I bought some. Come to think of it, it was about 6-7 yrs ago. I had to buy a roll and it cost about 60-70- lewbucks as I recall. I'd purchase some more now if someone finds it again.

I hope we're talking about the same thing. It is the felt-like covering of all of the compartments below, right?

Yes, mine is also a felt like covering, a tint of gray color.

Thanks,
Hector

Jon Wehrenberg
01-12-2008, 08:02 AM
A lot of owners do not realize that heat is the enemy of certain components. Because of the need to keep the temperature down (or to increase it) some components and areas of the bus are provided with fans.

In Gary's case, and mine, we have supplemental cooling fans for our inverters. The inverters have internal fans, but because of the location of the inverters additional means of cooling is provided. We also have fans that are for our safety. Some generator compartments are fan ventilated presumably to prevent the accumulation of a potentially dangerous condition related to exhaust or fuel vapors. Some fans are provided with switches so we can manually control their operation, but others are intended to be either automatic, or operational 100% of the time.

If you have gel cell batteries they are particularly susceptible to problems relating to heat. If they are located in an inner compartment they need cool outside air because they are non vented and excess temperatures could make them burst and vent to the atmosphere. They can get hot just from the charging process, and a high temp condition in a battery results in thermal runaway.