PDA

View Full Version : An Alarming Question

rfoster
01-06-2008, 09:50 PM
Washed the Bus today, 54 degrees out after three days below freezing, kinda normal. Untill I got inside the coach to move it back inside the basement. I have an alarm going off inside that I have never heard before. The alarm speaker is small about the size of a half dollar and about 1 inch tall. It is screwed to the steel frame work of the passenger side lower dash in behind everything imaginable. It is near the module for the keyless entry, to the right of the windshield wiper motor, and behind the defrost and heat ducts. Cannot see it but can feel it. In addition, I killed all power to the coach and it continued to beep. It is faint and sounds like it has a weak battery for its own power source.
Not the burglar alarm, not the fresh or waste water tank alarm, not the alarm clock, not the keyless entry module -

Anybody got an idea what its for and what does it mean when it goes off???I have had the coach for more than two years and have driven it 50k miles and this is my first experience with this. I wondered at first if it was an air strike but no way now after finding the culprit.

Jerry Winchester
01-06-2008, 10:03 PM
But you know, the best part was that you THOUGHT it could be an airstrike. The Krakman will have no such luck.

So the alarm could have been;

Tag Axle
Low Air Pressure
Some Idiot Light deal
Aux Air?

Or one of those that the sensor was wet from the washing and just shorted itself briefly.

rickdesilva
01-06-2008, 10:32 PM
Roger,
I had a similar situation on my WB '92 Bluebird....One alarm was the water in the fuel tank sensor. It had a petcock under the coach which allowed you to drain a small amount of water/fuel from the lowest area of the tank and the other thing that would set it off was the Raycor filter. The problem always happened when it was cold. It took me a while to figure where the alarm was coming from and what set it off.

Jerry Winchester
01-06-2008, 10:43 PM
Oh we also forgot that MangoMike said his Liberty had the option Turtlehead Warning System (TWAS) installed for the driver. He said you needn't have an Anaconda to set it off it was that touchy........

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-06-2008, 11:09 PM
Roger, I think that is a guilt alarm because you are washing your bus in a D4 major drought!:eek::D:D:D

jello_jeep
01-07-2008, 07:49 AM
Mine will do that if it sits for three days of more, its a high pitched, not really too loud. Mine comes from the alarm system, which is wired around the cutoff switches.

Problem is cured by cycling the ignition switch on and back off (no start required).

I forget why it does it, but the book for the alarm 'splains it.

truk4u
01-07-2008, 08:52 AM
Dodger,

My Marathon had the same deal as jeep, I don't remember the reason for it and there was a setting to disable it. The other option was to put the alarm in valet mode and it quit. It was just as your explaining, very low, small high pitched sound.

Did the turd boys get in your bus at Branson?:eek:

rfoster
01-07-2008, 09:47 AM
Thanks for all the responses

I was convinced after 10 minutes of playing hide and seek with the noise that it was in the air duct outlet in front of the passenger's feet. I even took the bezel off saying a few choice words about my good friends who may or may not have done such a dastardly deed.

To tell the truth I wish that had been the case, cause in the course of trying to determine what the problem was I have created a few new ones to go with it. $$$

I believe that Rick may have something on the Raycor due to my exstensive cleaning of the exterior of same. Lots of soap and water. I mean I got all up and under it. I hope to learn more today.

It is definitely not a low air pressure related alarm, wrong place, wrong noise, I get to hear that one too often. No tag axle alarm, am familiar with it as well.

The heading should have read No Physical Evidence Found of Airstrike

rfoster
01-07-2008, 10:52 AM
Boys and Girls: I just got off the phone with Troy at Liberty. The Alarm is from fire alarm sensors in the engine compartment. They obviouly got wet while washing in the engine compartment. Fire makes them loud - water makes the alarm barely audible. When the sensors dry out, the alarm will stop. When I went to bed last nite it was still going off, after fast idle for 25 minutes, .
It was quiet this am
Hopefully this info will save someone else some grief.

Loc
01-08-2008, 08:35 AM
Roger,

Fire alarm that goes off when it gets wet? Is that a Liberty special option?

nrhareiner
01-08-2008, 08:49 AM
The fire alarm is standard Prevost issue. The placement of the buzzer may vary by converter. If thye get very wet will close the contact and cause the alrm to sound. Mine started when steam cleaned the engine. There is a 5 amp in line fuse you can remove to stop the alrm until the water mositure leaves the housing. However, please remember to reconnect.

rfoster
01-08-2008, 08:52 AM
Loc: Sounds kinda like life insurance dont it? Pays when you die.

garyde
01-08-2008, 10:23 PM
Roger,

Fire alarm that goes off when it gets wet? Is that a Liberty special option?

That's just a bonus option! I suppose the heat sensor is not waterproof and the water shorts across the element.