PDA

View Full Version : Parts CDROM

dreamchasers
01-05-2008, 07:18 PM
I ordered and received a parts CDROM from Prevost, Partner Electronics. The title on the CDROM states Prevost's Exclusive Electronic Part Catalogue. Some consider me to be computer savvy, but I can not 'crack' how to utilize the CDROM. As I poke around with the Catviewer, I can see an enormous amount of data is available, I can't seem to know if the parts are for my coach or not.

I have spent several hours trying to sort this out, but I need a little help from you guys that are familiar with how to get started with the program.

Any help or suggestions will be most welcome.

Hector

Jon Wehrenberg
01-05-2008, 07:54 PM
Here's the disclaimer Hector. I am not a computer guy and I bumble my way through. This is how I get into the parts section to research parts, assemblies, wiring and pneumatic stuff.

I have the Catview program in my computer. I open Catview which brings up the PartnerElectronic screen, I insert the disc and it opens a box. I scroll down that box and highlight "Open Folder to view file" and open or click on it (I don't remember exactl which).

I exit the next screen that pops up and now I am back on the opening screen.

I click on "Top Levels" and that opens a box with various topics. I have a 97 XL so I highlight that and click on "Select".

That opens the top level of the parts lists for the XL shell. Then it is just a matter of working my way through the various boxes and drawings.

More computer savvy guys can probably convert my gibberish into real English.

dreamchasers
01-06-2008, 08:51 AM
Jon,

Thanks for the reply. At times, I attempt to make things more complicated than they really are. I was attempting to dive into the Parts and Assembly and bypassing the Top Level. All seems to work, except I am unable to connect to the maintenance manuals on the web through the program (Lower right hand panel). I go directly to Prevost Technical Publication area using my web browser and retrieve the data. Is that the method you use?

I definitely need to practice the KISS Principal more often.

I am attempting to look up maintenance and operation information for the rear drive stabilizer system for my coach. Very little information is available, except how to maintain an oil level in the reservoir. I am ordering two cylinder rebuild kits and cylinder boots, but the detailed operation of the system would be easier for me to work with.

The symptom is when I raise the tag axle, the rear of the coach will 'slump down'. Upon inspection of the stabilizer system, both seals are leaking.

I will call Prevost Action line tomorrow and see if he/they can provide any data on the system.

Thanks again for your help.

Hector

Jon Wehrenberg
01-06-2008, 11:42 AM
Hector....This is a guess based on looking over my systems but there is a difference between the tag axle lift and the rear stabilizer system. If you talk to the Prevost techs and the following is wrong, please post it.

The stabilizer system is activated automatically by turning the steering wheel to the extreme left or right. If you drop the front bumper and look in there you will see a stainless steel piece with a large rectangular cutout that hits a microswitch when the steering arm is at either extreme. That microswitch controls the solenoid valves that actuates the air over hydraulic system and it controls the dumping of air in the tag axle air bags.

To the best of my knowledge it does not lift the tag. I am not sure if it de-activates the tag axle service brake.

The tag axle lift lever that is to the left and slightly behind the driver's seat DOES NOT activate the stabilizer system so the bus can be expected to slump in the rear. When the tag axle lift lever is employed, it does dump air in the tag axle air bag, it does put air pressure to the lift mechanism (looks like a brake chamber with a chain on it), and it does de-activate the tag axle service brake. I cannot see in the pneumatic or electrical diagrams where it may activate the stabilizer system.

What is important is to understand that advice which states raising the tag axle will decrease the turn radius needs to be qualified. That was true on all 40 foot coaches, but the 45 footer in essence does it automatically via the automatic air dump and stabilizer activation. It can be done manually as well as long as the driver understands the rear of the coach will drop.

I think this applies to all but the heaviest of coaches: If the tag is lifted manually, it is possible the coach air compressor can generate sufficient air pressure such that given enough time (several minutes) the rear of the coach is likely to rise to the normal driving height. The message there is that if it is imperative to keep the rear at normal height and the tag lifted, but the steering wheel will not be turned to an extreme, the driver must stop and allow the coach to go back up to the normal height. I can only envision such action where lifting a tag is required to give more traction to the drive wheels.

dreamchasers
01-06-2008, 02:18 PM
Jon,

I will dig a little deeper and will update with information I find during my repair.

FYI, while I was having work done at Prevost, Fort Worth, the technician working on the coach came to me an stated that the "shocks that were installed by Country Coach" were leaking. He was referring to the stabilizer system, and that I needed to contact Country Coach for repairs.

Not Prevost technicians are created equal.

You were the one that correctly identified the system, so that is one for you in my book. I certainly do agree that the electrical drawings have no reference to the system. I scanned the drawings several time this morning.

When I look at the system; a procedure for repair, bleeding out air from the hydraulic system, and a process (How does it work?)for placing the system in service will be a must for me.

I hope that Prevost's Action line can shed more light on the topic.

I will let you know.

Thanks,

Hector

Jon Wehrenberg
01-06-2008, 04:26 PM
Hector,

FWIW, when I have had serious questions and wanted good answers I have called Canada and asked for someone in engineering. I am not sure Prevost supports such action, but like the tech that suggested you take it back to CC, I have found that a lot of the advice at the service center or customer support level is not as good as it could be.

If you could ever get hold of him, Bill Jensen would be the guy to go to. He will be in Seveirville.

dreamchasers
01-07-2008, 09:55 PM
As promised, I called Prevost Action line today and was able to speak with Jim Malcom, Prevost District Service Manager for the Southern Region. Jim stated that the stabilizer systems were offered as an option for several years, but is no longer offered. Apparently, disappointing results in the benefit provided by the system caused Prevost to discontinue offering the option.

As Jon stated, the system is triggered by sensors on the front steering arm when the steering wheel is turned to extremes. The intent was to provide additional 'lift/hold' when the tag axle was lifted 'while the coach was turning into a sharp curve, going up an incline'(This is the only situation that will activate the system). Meaning, if a coach is turning into an upward incline drive while the driver was activating the lift tag feature. The stabilizers were to prevent the rear of the coach from dragging in the approach. When the tag axle is lifted, the rear of the coach will drop (3-4 inches), however, when the remaining drive axle air bags have sufficient time to inflate to the required pressure to maintain coach/axle clearance (height control valve sets this clearance), the rear will re-level. When asked how long does it normally take for the rear to re-level, Jim stated that within 20-30 seconds, the coach should be level again.

He also stated, that Prevost Service Centers normally will take the stabilizer system out of service if any service or maintenance is needed to the system. They remove the 'stabilizer oil shocks' from the system and allow the oil to drain. He feels that the problems with the stabilizer system far outweighs the benefit. So if you have the system, it was offered as an option, but is no longer offered.

Since the system is not important, I have moved the repair of the stabilizers to the back burner for now. Now refocused on finding and fixing suspension air leaks, and I have plenty.

Jon, thanks for your accurate feedback.

Thanks again for everybody's help.

Hector

Jon Wehrenberg
01-07-2008, 10:08 PM
I have to offer a strong disagreement about removing the system.

I have a driveway that can be considered a challenge. I personally can attest to the substantial benefit of not having the ass of the bus drop and that there are numerous driving situations where a turn to the extreme could result in substantial damage without the system.

Coming down a steep driveway and turning into a traffic lane is one example of where there is going to be a tail end dropping. If they are to remove the system which supports the rear when the tag automatically dumps, and you are stretched across a few lanes of road waiting for the drive air bags to pump up the other drivers will not give a damn and will want you moving right now.

I can envision damaged hitches, dragging oil pans, crushed exhaust tips, etc.

I hate it when people that don't own these buses try to talk owners into stuff that makes their life easier at the expense of the owner's coach.