PDA

View Full Version : Allen Wrench Hub Cover Tool

Jerry Winchester
04-23-2006, 04:39 PM
Seems like Ben and I had the same problem this past week. I needed to remove the chrome axle cover on the drive axle and I discovered that you have to have a widget that looks like an allen wrench with a hole in the middle to remove the locking screw that allows the whole thing to come off.

After searching the likely hiding places in the coach, I deducted that one of these didn't come with the coach.

Does anyone know where you get them? Unless Lew has a spare.....

Jon Wehrenberg
04-23-2006, 05:18 PM
If you grovel and beg, I MAY look for one in my collection of tools and junk. If I have one and you promise to act nice for the entire rally I may go beyond letting you touch it. I may actually let you have it. Maybe.

Notice there are no smiley things on this post.

Just Plain Jeff
04-23-2006, 05:27 PM
Yeah, but if you are really careful...that is, with a Milwaukee Heavy Duty Drill, you could take a regular Allen wrench and drill out the center.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Member, Milwaukee Heavy Duty Club

Jon Wehrenberg
04-23-2006, 05:46 PM
I'm creating a mental picture of JW with tools in his hand. It is not pretty.

I understand you can buy the wrenches for about $75. Which he may want to do instead of being nice to me.

Those screws are LH threads so you can't even use an EZ out.

Just Plain Jeff
04-23-2006, 05:58 PM
Last one I saw was on ebay and it went for $2,995.

The better quality ones with greater provenance go for much more.

Jon Wehrenberg
04-23-2006, 06:00 PM
My mistake. I was thinking of when I used to buy them in 1940.

Jerry Winchester
04-23-2006, 07:39 PM
"Mental picture with tools"?

My tool box

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/OBJECTS/50800/50719.JPG

Jon's tool box

http://www.swapmeetdave.com/Humor/Workshop/Tools-In-Mouth-C.jpg

Jerry using his tools

http://jdub.smugmug.com/photos/58203618-M.jpg

Jon using his tools

http://www.swapmeetdave.com/Humor/Workshop/Drill-Fire.jpg

lewpopp
04-23-2006, 09:28 PM
Jerry

I have the chrome wheel covers. You said you had chrome ones but I think you, being a former member of the Prevost Prouds, you have the stainless covers. Not the same tool.

But back to the chrome wheel covers. I got mine at the chrome store on 75 and have been very pleased. You are welcome to one of my extra wrenches if it's what you need. You must wait 2 full days to get it. Free things take time.

Jerry Winchester
04-23-2006, 09:37 PM
Lew,

You obviously have me confused with someone else. I don't think the PP's would have me. I am just a humble oil field worker who would be grateful for a special wrench. Jon's wrench requires a first male child like sacrifice. Having all girls, I have nothing to barter with. Except some used marker lights and he is going to get them anyway :eek:

Thank you Lew; friend of the proleteriate.

rfoster
04-23-2006, 10:20 PM
JW: I too learned the hard way (experience), The "Tamper Proof" Bits I bought at Advance Auto for $8 or $10 bucks, very poor quality, but will work a couple three times. What were they thinking will left hand threads and all? A thief probably too lazy for that. A Texan would have used baling wire, A Tennesseean would use duct tape. No instructions required.
Roger

lewpopp
04-24-2006, 10:32 AM
Jerry

I am hurt. After I told every one that I wanted to mount enough of the lites around the coach to make a solid line, you "disted" me and will give them to Jon.

Now I have a few open spaces and I'll have to go out and get someone to advertise in the spaces. Oh, well, life's a bitch.

Jerry Winchester
04-24-2006, 12:23 PM
Consider them yours. And the old rusty screws that went with them..

lewpopp
04-24-2006, 10:21 PM
Nope!

Won't accept double second hand-me-downs.. I'll look elsewhere. If I ain't good enough to be first than that's the end.

I hope someone tried to put the lites on a 24v system cuz that's what I've got.

Boo-hoo! You hurt me bad. I'm going to throw a rusty nut in your chili if there is any.

The way these guys are giving a blow-by-blow updates of their trip, you'd think that they are trying to be Marco Polo or Chris Columbus.

I hope the park won't let them in til 1 PM and make them stick to the rules. Not really.

Not too many posts tonite because the big rig buds are busy moving on down the road.

I'll mosey in about 1 PM if all goes well. didn't scrub the coach for the trip cuz there is a chance of rain tomorrow.

Orren Zook
08-11-2006, 11:02 AM
Kind of an old thread here - but that allen wrench you seek is available as part of an anti theft license plate kit available at Advance, Pep Boys, and Auto Zone here in Ohio. The kit with the 'wrench', four stainless screws, flat washers and the plastic plugs sells for under $7US.

lewpopp
08-11-2006, 10:11 PM
Are you speaking of the key to get the spinners off of the hubcaps?

If so, listen up Jerry, this is what you need. Maybe!!!:D

Ben
08-12-2006, 01:12 AM
Looks like I missed this thread when it was originally going.

I got my wrench from Prevost Nashville. One of the mechanics gave it to me for free... he had to go searching for one... maybe took him 10 minutes and then he came out with just what I needed.

lewpopp
08-12-2006, 09:22 AM
I said long ago that I misplaced the one I had when I discarded the spinners. I purchased the one I had at a parts house but had to buy a sellection of 7 or 8 sizes.

Don't know the name unless it a torx of some kind.

Jon, look it up in you infinite wisdom book cuz we all can't sweet talk mechanics out of them nationwide.:D

Jerry Winchester
08-12-2006, 09:28 AM
Orren,

Thanks for the reply and welcome to the POG. I have been waiting for Lew to come up with one of these for months, but it was MangoMike who procured one of these for me and brought it to OSH.

As I have to go back to NYC next quarter, Lew will be supplying all the show tickets.:eek:

And Lew, I am in the coach over at the Comal River posting and reading with the Verizon card. I think you need one so you can get rid of that dial up deal. Not many LewBucks and you won't experience those posting lags. It's nice when you are in the same time continuium with the rest of us.;)

win42
08-12-2006, 12:44 PM
Tamper Resistantant Button Head Screws & Wrench's
Two sources: www.mcmaster.com (562) 692-5911
5/32 hex KEY w/ hollow end for 1/4-20 bolts No. 7390A27
5/32 HEX SCREW DRIVER w/ hollow end No. 7153A63
SS 1/4- 20 X 3/4 hex Tamp. Resit. button head screws[COLOR="red"]RIGHT HAND THREAD No. 95635A540

5/16-18 X 3/4" SS button head hex socket screws No.92949A581
5/16-24 X 3/4 SS button head hex socket screws No. 92949A599

I have plans to drill & tap R.H. 5/16" - 24 into the bracket and chg. to larger threads, The smaller screws are weak, rust tight and break off. I don't have the coach here to check this change out, more later on that. No mickey mouse tamper proof screws. Just lock tight on the screws.
Remember your stock screws are left hand thread, all screws shown above are SS right hand thread.

2nd. Souce: SPAENAUR www.spaenuar.com 1-800-265-8772 Kitchner Ontario, Canada
They may have the left hand screws. Good source for all Automotive fasteners and products. Probably the OEM for Prevost.
Good Luck

timebum
08-12-2006, 09:00 PM
FWIW, Harbor freight sells a 100 piece set of "security bits" for the princely sum of $10.00. Lots of neat bits that you MAY never need until that day............

lewpopp
08-12-2006, 09:36 PM
Jerry

Where is this place you are at?

Time continium? Wow ! I guess you must have pull that out from under Jeffs hat. Nothing else is there now that is filled with sleuth sh_t.

lewpopp
08-12-2006, 09:40 PM
God... I hope no one asks 42 where they can get some license plate bolts.

What's all of that gobbly-gook. To much information. could I build a prevost or just a screw machine from the info.:D

Jerry Winchester
08-12-2006, 09:58 PM
The Comal River, said to be the shortest river in the United States, rises in a number of large springs in New Braunfels in southeastern Comal County and flows southeast for three miles to its mouth on the Guadalupe River, also in New Braunfels.

It has a number of small islands in its upper reaches, and its course crosses an area of the Balcones Escarpment characterized by low relief surfaces and moderately deep to deep sandy and clay loam soils that support live oak and Ashe juniper woods. .

http://www.edwardsaquifer.net/images/1-018.jpg

win42
08-13-2006, 02:00 AM
Lew : Kinda cranky old fart aren't you. I didn't think your mechanical mentality got any further than the Harbor Freight crap.
The two sources I offered are two of the best sources of QUALITY tools and hardware. I tried to help the people serious about solving their problem. It's pretty critical keeping those buckets in place. They don't sell new ones at Harbor Freight. When I need a third baseman I'll call you. YEEEES !!

Joe Cannarozzi
08-13-2006, 07:03 AM
Win42, I think thats Lews way of getting aquainted, this means he likes you! If you make your replies less detailed Lew would like it, I think hes getting old.

win42
08-13-2006, 10:32 AM
Win42, I think thats Lews way of getting aquainted, this means he likes you! If you make your replies less detailed Lew would like it, I think hes getting old.
Joe; Yeah Joe I guess I was a little too touchy on Lew's remarks. I apologize to you and Lew.
Harry

Jon Wehrenberg
08-13-2006, 11:06 AM
Lew is not what he seems to be. The old fart is sneaky. He plays like he is an "aw shucks" guy, but he is clever. Very clever. And he is to be feared.

The grumpy old man persona is just an act. He is 29 years old, has a shaved head, tattoos everywhere, and I think he has a glass eye (but I'm not sure).

Joe Cannarozzi
08-13-2006, 11:11 AM
Win42,There will be no appoligies accepted here, and I dont know Lew personally, actually never met but I do not belive he could be defined as touchy based on his posts and replies. Ive seen these types before, show no weekness!

Joe Cannarozzi
08-13-2006, 11:21 AM
Hay Lew ,how did you figure out how to get a picture of your bus up, not bad for computer challanged, or did someone do this thing for you?

Joe Cannarozzi
08-13-2006, 11:26 AM
Jon, I think Lew could only hope to pull that off half as well as you!

truk4u
08-13-2006, 08:39 PM
Take your med's Louie, your stressing out too much from being in Elmira too long!:D Just remember, you and I don't need those wimpy tools, our Marathons are mo better.:p

lewpopp
08-13-2006, 10:15 PM
Hey 42, how the hell did you know I played 3rd base? I only made it to AAA and could make it no further. Too many good guys ahead of me. That's amazing how smart you are. I got so damn mad I ran for mayor. Everyone knows that, don't you. Aw shucks, I forgot , you've been stuck out in the shop by the big shear. Hope you wore ear plugs and safety glasses. Aw shucks, you know that. Wipe your hands on your pants again, the coverall people will be there in a couple days.

I can go on but Jon will take me out of his will. Yes, I am getting old and every day counts. I had a lot of days back in the good old days, but time is getting short when you get to my age. 29 I'm not.

Jerry, help me. I tried to help you get a small torx with a hole in it and we've go Einstein babbling on all of his knowledge on how the get the verry, verry best so we can take some god damn spinners off. Good nite.:confused:

MangoMike
08-13-2006, 10:36 PM
Elvis has left the building.

win42
08-13-2006, 10:47 PM
Lew: It's easy to tell you were a third baseman, they never shut up.
Sorry my knowledge makes you feel so inferrior.
Take some more of your medicine and calm down. Yeah I know how to work I've been it doing it all my life. At this point I'll attempt to respect your age and say have a good night.
Your Friend Harry
Now wasn't that a nice polite way to tell you to go piss up a rope.

Orren Zook
08-14-2006, 08:18 AM
Yes, the hex key in that license plate kit also fits the hubcap spinners on my Prevost, so I'd imagine that they fit yours too..... I found this out when I need a tow in NY and the wrecker driver said he'd have to call for another service truck ($80 per hour with a 3 hour minimum) with more tools because he didn't have 'that' security wrench. I had purchased the license kit for my Viper, but when I sold it I put those screws on the bus since they looked pretty nice (stainless and all). Anyway it saved me $250 and probably another 2-3 hours at the side of the road.

lewpopp
08-14-2006, 10:34 PM
Harry, If you think you are the only one who has worked all your life you are out of touch in the Prevost group.

Jeff is the only one who claims to have worked all his life and really did nothing and thinks he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth.

I have no animosity towards you, but I have trouble just pissing, let alone pissing up a rope.

win42
08-15-2006, 01:51 AM
Lew : I love ya man. There's nothing like a couple of old farts sparing with one another. No bloodshed, just dust flying. Good Night
Harry
Did you really come here on the Mayflower. When i arrived Moby Dick was just a minnow and Christ was just a Boot Ensign.

lewpopp
08-15-2006, 10:01 PM
Harry, I thought the saying was "when Christ was a corporal"

Nite Harry, you ol' fart !

Jeff Bayley
10-27-2006, 04:53 AM
You can get a better quality bit at Grainger and they have walk in locations in many cities. I ordered the reverse thread screws from the company that made my chrome wheel covers but I don't recall asking them if they had the bit but I'll bet they do.

Jeff

win42
10-27-2006, 10:34 AM
Jeff: OK your catching on, now tell us how to reach the company with the wing nuts and left hand screws.
Good to have you on board. Remember there is no such thing as a dumb question especially as it relates to Prevosts. Most of us started our Bus experiance without a clue about operation, manuals or maintenence proceedures. Thank the Lord for Jon and all the other contributers helping us along. We shall overcome!
Harry

Jeff Bayley
10-27-2006, 01:59 PM
Ok Harry- Thanks for the prod. I got the info! Had the parts in the envelope they arrived in in the tool box in my bay. The company that I got the reverse threads from is L&V Distributing Co. in Richmond, IN. 47374. Ph: 765-962-9475. Part number for the reverse threads is RW 1241 Locking Screw. Take that ! $4.00 each. Don't have the wrench part number (nor can confirm they sell it) but if they do that part number above should get you there.

Danss
10-29-2006, 12:33 AM
When engine is cold just after cranking I get lots of black smoke when pressing pedal to get moving. When engine gets to operating temp.:mad: no more black smoke. Ideas?

win42
10-29-2006, 08:27 AM
Jeff B: Very good. Your very welcome to the group. We need more members stepping up to the plate and sharring detailed info. or just asking questions. It's a key to our "Prevosts" well being not to mention our sannity. Mango and Jon have set good examples for us all to follow and you're fitting right in there with them.
Thanks Again
Harry

Jeff Bayley
10-29-2006, 02:24 PM
Harry- Praise ? I got praise. That's fantastic ! I was a real outcast in high school so to think I have a second chance of being embraced for my work within a group is a 2nd chancde for me. As Sally Fields said......"You like me! You really like me!".

I have lot's of stuff I need to ask also (see new posts from me from today) so I want to majorly pick your brains. I've been pleasantly surprised to see that I might be able to contribute even with only 2.5 years of ownership under by belt. I'm a firm beliver in Karma so the universe returns it back to you if you give your time up. Pay it forward type of thinking.

Jeff