PDA

View Full Version : If it's January, it must be time for Quartzite

bluevost
01-02-2008, 12:50 PM
Hey POGgers,

The Quartzite, AZ rock, mineral, fossil, RV Show, and all purpose swap meet begins shortly. If you have never been to it, it is worth a visit. You'll be amazed at how you survived without "stuff" that you didn't know you needed, until you walk around the place. The RV show begins Jan. 19 and runs for 10 days. The swap meet is ongoing and runs the month of January.

Come use your bus in a new way. Join us and thousands of other rv'ers boondocking on the BLM land. It really is a good time. Cocktails and campfires every night. If anyone is interested, give me a shout and I'll send you the lat/long of where we'll be.

Ken

Joe Cannarozzi
01-02-2008, 06:44 PM
We have been looking at Quartzite with interest and curiosity. Although right now is out in the future we will go and stay.

I like the idea of boon docking. What is the fee for a spot on that gov. land, something like 40 bucks a month. These buses we have are the perfect candidates to do this. Well, maybe not a newer one but our 86 is. Who needs campgrounds anyway.

Ken do you have any solar? I think that would be good for a venue like that.

bluevost
01-02-2008, 07:10 PM
Joe,

I don't have any solar on Bluevost. I did have 6 7-amp panels on the Eagle, along with 245 gallons of fresh, and two 40 lb. LP tanks. We could stay out a long time!! If diesel fuel gets much higher, solar panels could come into play again.

Ken

truk4u
01-02-2008, 08:56 PM
Ken,

We have always wanted to make Quartzite and plan on doing it next year. Seems like a long way off, but time flies in the ageing process. We would appreciate some pictures and updates while your there, for us not able to make the trip. How about starting a thread on Quartzite when you get there for us right coasters.

Thanks...

Ray Davis
01-02-2008, 10:09 PM
If you've never visited Quartzsite, it's pretty darn incredible. I had never heard of it a couple of years ago, when I drove out to visit some of the Datastorm users prior to my satellite purchase. I drove out there, not knowing anything about it.

As with AZ you're driving through the desert, and all of a sudden, it's RV's as far as the eye can see. I'm thinking there's got to be a couple thousand RV's all out here in the desert.

I look it up that night on the internet to find out that there aren't a couple of thousand RV's, it's more like 40,000 to 50,000!! Over one million people will attend the RV show!

http://www.quartzsitervshow.com/sunsets.htm#Largest%20Gathering%20of%20RVs%20on%20 Earth

for more information!

Ray

garyde
01-02-2008, 11:04 PM
I made the trip to Quartzite several years ago after having heard about it over the last 25 years from my Aunt and Uncle from Idaho. They had spent several decades visiting the area in the winter months. Its a curious place, not much to the area, but always something to do. If your a rock hound, plenty of places to explore. A lot of 4 wheeling as well.

Larry W
01-02-2008, 11:25 PM
Everyone ought to do Quartzite once. Be part of the 1 million vistors every winter.

Joe Cannarozzi
01-03-2008, 06:32 AM
We could have a camping enduro. See who can hold out the longest with supplies carried out on board:eek:

jello_jeep
01-03-2008, 07:38 AM
Ken, how do you do as far as keeping your bus clean whilst driving / camping in the dirt ?

Some friends of ours go out there every year, and the wife is always bitching that it takes a month to get the dust back out of the interior?

Almost looks like it would be a good one to rent a cheapo from El Monte or someone and go out and trash it!

Everyone seems to enjoy it though!

bluevost
01-03-2008, 09:21 AM
Truk--Here are some pix from last year. Pretty windy and cold last January. On Sunday they actually shut the RV show down for the afternoon because they thought the wind might collapse the big tent. That tent is about 100 yds. long.

Jello--Dirt can be a problem when it's windy. It's more of a problem to some and less to others. Frankly I don't care if my bus gets dirty, or even filthy. We bought the thing to use in our lifestyle and we'll clean it as best we can when we get home. (If that sounds like a lecture, I don't mean it to). But as you can see in the pix, the ground is what they call "desert asphalt". There isn't much sand in these areas and absolutely no chance of getting stuck.

Happy Trails,

Ken

Ray Davis
01-03-2008, 01:09 PM
You area looks a lot nicer than the place I visited a few years ago. It was in the dirt, no hint of "dirt-asphalt", and it was pretty darn filthy. Just like pulling off the side of the road in the desert!

lewpopp
01-03-2008, 09:26 PM
I think you have to be careful when you attend the Quartsite area because each couple of weeks it changes it's theme. You might get there when there is a rock show and that would piss you off. Otherwise, get ready to walk a lot. Haven't been there for 5 years.

bluevost
01-18-2008, 04:33 PM
Hey POGgers, For those interested in what's happening in Q,

I have made my first attempt at my own website. Hopefully you will see a few pages: a welcome page, Wed. Jan 16, and a photo page Quartzsite Jan 18. On the page, Wed. Jan 16, ignore the line "To see photos...." I didn't do the hyperlink right. You can see all the photos on the Quartzsite Jan 18 page. Click on the headings on the top of the page to change pages.

The big RV show starts tomorrow and I'll publish some more photos on Sunday. The weather is clear, winds are mild, temp. 50 degrees at 1:25PM. Lows around 35. Sunsets have been special.

check it all out at [url]http://web.mac.com/KenZittrer

Bye for now, Ken

rfoster
01-18-2008, 05:33 PM
Ken: Nice Job on you and Janets' site, we certainly appreciate the time and effort to put that together and better yet the photos. Keep the updates coming.

Also the photo of the H with the stacker trailer- those folks attended POG rally at Santa Fe. I don't recall their name, but if you see them, tell them howdy and to come to Sevierville in April. :cool:

Ray Davis
01-18-2008, 06:11 PM
I definitely remember the H with the stacker. They were still converting the H from a passenger bus into an RV. I don't remember their names either. Hopefully someone with less "sometimers disease" can help?

Ray

dalej
01-18-2008, 09:01 PM
Ron and Judy Walker...., I think. They were our neighbors in Santa Fe, you would think I could remember.

Ray Davis
01-18-2008, 10:47 PM
Yeah, I think that sounds right. Ken, stop by say hi. Maybe you can find out why we never heard from them again?

Oh, by the way, your site is looking great! Good work! :D

ronwalker
01-19-2008, 04:21 AM
Geez, when you've got an old H3 seated coach (under construction) with a stacker racing trailer, you can't hide anywhere! I'll plead guilty to simply lurking on the board, enjoying the banter and soaking up all the expertise. I missed this thread until Jim Skiff asked if I was in Quartzsite. This is my first post - please be gentle.

Judie and I really enjoyed meeting the group at Santa Fe, but got a real kick in the teeth when three months later, her mild but persistant stomach ache was diagnosed as inoperable pancreatic cancer and she was given two to six months to live. So much for our daily four mile power walks and healthy lifestyle. The coach did well covering over 6000 miles in 27 days (24 one-nighters) to let Judie say "goodbye" to friends and family. Despite making the entire trip from Arizona to Florida, back to Arizona then to Tacoma, WA on her stomach in bed, she had some good visits and was happy we had the means to do it. She passed away in Washington on August 16th, 2007, a month before her 66th birthday. We were both delighted to have gotten twelve great years of full time RV adventuring.

About Quartzsite: Yes, you'll track fine powder dirt onto your clean floors. Where you park will determine if it's a little or a lot. If the wind blows, it will be on your counter tops as well. On the other hand, there are over a quarter million winter residents who don't seem to mind dusting the rig a bit between social gatherings and all the interesting activities. Most don't really notice that they're roughing it. The photos Ken posted on his great web site tell some of the story, but there's a lot more. Quartzsite hosts the world's biggest flea market. You could spend weeks buying things you doesn't really need or have room for. Hundreds of vendors will eagerly sell you all those valuable gizmos the coach really needs. Many folks find the gem and mineral show irresistible.

You can learn more than you ever wanted to know about solar. Heck, I can tell you how to spend a fortune on solar panels, charge controllers, etc. Yes, I have fourteen expensive PV (electricity generating) panels on my roof and I'm in the process of adding my first solar hot water panel. There really is life off the grid - and it doesn't necessarily involve a lot of conservation. I could go on, but I can feel you begging me to stop. Aren't you sorry you were curious about me? I'll go back into the listening mode.

Ken, let's try to get together. Write ronwalkeratprodigydotnet or I'll try you.

Ron

MangoMike
01-19-2008, 09:56 AM
Ron,

Glad you made your first post. Although very sorry to hear about Judie. It just further demonstrates how we all have to max out every day as we're never certain what awaits us around the next corner. One of the reasons I bought a bus. Sounds like the two of you had quite an adventure and we would like to hear more.

It looks like the Quartz escapade is quite the deal. Unfortunately too far for us, we gotta work, East Coasters. Ken, keep those pixs coming and maybe a google ad about Mango Mike's on your site.

Mike

bluevost
01-19-2008, 10:30 AM
Ron,

If you are still parked in the same place, I'm going to pedal over on the bike b/4 we go into town today. If you're not home I'll leave a note on the windshield. We are camped very close to you. Plenty of room over here!!

Ken

dalej
01-19-2008, 03:59 PM
Ron, so sorry to hear about Judie, our prayers go out to you. We will always have the balloons together in our minds and you two in our hearts.

It sure was a surprise to hear from you!

ronwalker
01-19-2008, 11:01 PM
Mike and Dale, many thanks for the kind words. We all need to maximize the fun use of our coaches because life can change overnight.

Ron

bluevost
01-20-2008, 12:55 PM
Happy Sunday POGgers,

I have posted some more photos on my site.

http://web.mac.com/kenzittrer

It is an absolutely beautiful day here today. A great day for football, Go Chargers!! Hope some of you will come out next year.

Ken

jonnie
01-20-2008, 03:38 PM
Bluevost,

Wherever that video was from reminded me more of a biker rally than an RV rally. Of course there is nothing wrong with a good biker rally!

Ray Davis
01-21-2008, 01:19 PM
Ron, I am so sorry to hear about Judy. I remember meeting you in Sante Fe, and you graciously showed us the work you were doing on the H3 and the stacker.

I don't know what you're schedule is over the coming week, but please feel more than welcome to join us out at Rancho. If you're still in Quartzsite, you are only about 3.5 hours away.

I spoke to Ken yesterday evening. He tried to drive over to your site, but found that you were gone.

I do hope you might be able to stop by at Rancho. (See the thread here under the Rallies section, titled "Southern CA Mini-Rally"). I'd love to see your solar setup. It sounds incredible.

Take care!

Ray

ronwalker
01-21-2008, 11:30 PM
Ray, This ham radio rally will carry me into Sunday, so I won't be able to make the Rancho Rally, but thank you for the personal invitation. Perhaps we can talk solar at a future rally.

I gave Ken my location and phone number in an email to his Hotmail address, but haven't heard from him. He's probably as busy as I am. If I get a break in the schedule, I'll try to chase him down. We POG members need to get together whenever we can. Any excuse for a party will do.

Ron

Ray Davis
01-22-2008, 04:16 PM
I didn't realize you were a ham. What rally is happening now? I've been an extra class for probably 25 years, but haven't been active for about 12 years now. Always wanted to get back into it.

I'll see Ken a bit later and see if he received your email.

Ray

ronwalker
01-23-2008, 01:23 AM
Quartzfest began several years ago as an informal gathering of a few hams/RVers and has now grown to more than sixty rigs. The schedule includes several seminars and demonstrations per day in addition to the social gatherings around the campfire. It's an opportunity to get updated on some of the latest happenings in the hobby, renew old acquaintences and meet new friends. Author Gordon West conducts many of the seminars. With all us snowbirds flocking to winter in the sunny BLM desert, it's a natural gathering opportunity before we scatter again as spring brings a return of warm weather. Check it out at www.quartzfest.org.

Since amateur radio and RV travel compliment each other so well, you need to jump back into the hobby and get some pleasure out of that license you worked so hard to earn. Come join us next year.

Ron

jello_jeep
01-23-2008, 05:38 PM
Ron, I am KN6IG
Wife Kelly is KD6QGO

I don't have time for HF at the moment, nor I am set up.

I mostly chat mobile 2m 440 220 or 1.2

Nice to meet ya'll

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-23-2008, 06:18 PM
Ron, I am KN6IG
Wife Kelly is KD6QGO

I don't have time for HF at the moment, nor I am set up.

I mostly chat mobile 2m 440 220 or 1.2

Nice to meet ya'll

Hey Guys, WD8QBQ checking in. Small world HUH!
Not setup on HF, 220/440 only due to no antenna:rolleyes:

ronwalker
01-24-2008, 12:27 AM
Prevost owners, pilots, mechanics and now ham radio enthusiasts as well. This group has it all! 'Makes it hard to prioritize your fun. 'Nice to meet ya!

This is KF4VVL, Ron in Quartzsite, over... :)

Ray Davis
01-24-2008, 01:44 PM
OK, if it's disclosure time, I'm NB6D. I still own HF gear, and some 220/440 handheld stuff, but haven't been active in probably 15+ years. I used to do a lot on field day, and we ran with a group doing 6 meter T-hunts before we had kids (yikes, that puts it at almost 25 years!)

Man how time flies. Before I do long term time in this bus, I do want to get outfit with radios here. But, I will have to admit cell-phones and internet have changed the hobby immensely since I was first licensed some almost 40 years ago.

Ray

lloyd&pamela
12-04-2008, 05:29 PM
Alright, we're not ham radio enthusiasts, though we both studied the manual and I tell you, I could hardly stand the excitement. :rolleyes:

Lloyd and I get the bus back tomorrow in Indio, CA in all its renovated glory. So we're planning a 2 1/2 week stay in Quartzsite for Jan 7-24.

1) Where should we boondock?
2) How's the satellite reception?
3) Any insight on the availability of dump stations or honeywagons?
4) Anything else we should know?
5) Will any of you be there?

Thanks!

Pamela

dalej
12-04-2008, 06:48 PM
Pamela,

One question you didn't touch on, Should Lloyd be able to shop for guy stuff while we are there? NO, keep him in the bus!

When you get there just look around and find a spot you like, there are lots of choices. The farther you stay away from town the less rv's. North and South of town mostly.

Satellite reception is good as long as they are hanging in the sky.

Not much pressure while your there, so enjoy.

We won't be in the area until Feb.

garyde
12-04-2008, 11:05 PM
Hi Lloyd. Ken can better answer some of these questions. There are several RV parks in town if you needed to dump however there may be some dump stations on the federal land area as well. People seem to park just about anywhere they like on the open land, some group together in designated areas and others just go way out and park. The town is close so all services are near by.

ronwalker
12-05-2008, 01:02 AM
Count me in among the crazy desert rats in Quartzsite this year. Let's see if we can pressure Ken into staking out and posting the coordinates and dates of the mini POG gathering there.

bluevost
12-07-2008, 02:15 PM
Pamela,

I can't wait to see your "new" rig. You and Lloyd must be very excited. I have stayed in several places in Quartzite. You have to get away from I-10 to get a good nights sleep. The traffic never lets up. We usually head north on Arizona 95 to Plumosa Rd, (also called Bouse-Quartzite Rd). 33 44 55.05, 114 13 01.20 should get you close. Make a right turn and go 1 1/2 to two miles. Look for a any dirt road cut off to the north (left) and find an empty fire ring. There is a dump station on Hwy 95 between town and Plumosa road, or you can make arrangements for a honey wagon to come to camp. Satellite reception is great. So far there a 5 rigs coming out from SoCal, my bus, a 1953 Shasta bumper pull, a motorhome, and two fivers. I hope Ron Walker will join us as well. I'm driving out Wed. Jan 14th.

See you there,

Ken

lloyd&pamela
12-08-2008, 08:03 PM
We'll be happy to give you a tour, Ken!

We expect to join you on the 15th.

Since we'll be working some of the time it looks like we'll 'do' Quartzsite in 3-4 day stints with a home base at Saddle Mountain RV Park in Tonopah, about an hour away.

Plomosa Road seems to be THE place. We're having satellite issues, but if anyone else cares, "Verizon has a 400-foot tower there ... www.antennasearch.com (when it works) shows a 261 ft antenna on 95 about 2 1/2 miles north of the freeway".

Thanks re: the dump station info.

Look forward to catching up!

Pamela

ronwalker
12-09-2008, 12:09 AM
It will be fun to meet everyone around the campfire. I'll be coming from the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas with more wild home automation ideas to add to my wiring challenges. PLC crashes and re-booting my coach out in the desert should prove exciting! :rolleyes: 'See you on the 14th or 15th.

mikedee
12-09-2008, 02:11 AM
I have been going to Quartzite since 1991. I just love the place(Dee hates it). We park on hard gravel just East of Beaudry RV. Nice safe area. I stopped last week and it was just starting to get going. Some years I have gone as many as 5 times.

Good deals use to be everywhere but with time it has gone to lots of imported junk. One tool dealer has great USA products. He is located South of I-10 and West of AZ 95. Worth the stop

Try the cafe about 200 yards East of Gamblers, great breakfast.

Ray Davis
12-09-2008, 11:50 AM
Hey Ron,

What days are you planning to be at CES? I am thinking of driving up Friday evening (Jan 9th), and going to the show on the 10th, heading home the 11th.

Haven't figure out where to stay just yet. Will be maybe ORA or the KOA at Circus Circus. Are you there in your bus? Maybe we can hookup?

Ray

ronwalker
12-10-2008, 12:56 AM
Ray,

I expect to be at CES for the full 8-11 Jan, but I'm tagging along with a couple who are veterans of several shows and will have little influence on their plans. My coach will be left behind in Camp Verde, AZ. Give me a call anytime at 623-640-1626 to try for a rendezvous. It may be helpful to compare notes on bus-friendly vendors.

Ray Davis
12-10-2008, 03:24 PM
HI Ron,

Sounds good. You can reach me at 949-463-0707 on that Saturday. At this point it's probably 95% that I am going.

Ray