PDA

View Full Version : Texas/Big Bend NP

ajhaig
01-01-2008, 10:24 PM
We will be heading into the Lone Star State at the end of the week (currently in Las Cruces, NM). We would like to see Big Bend National Park, what would be the best route into and out of the park? Are there any decent RV parks in or around the park?

We plan to visit San Antonio, Austin & Houston after Big Bend. Any insight into these areas would also be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

AJ

bluevost
01-02-2008, 10:38 AM
AJ,

Big Bend is a long way from anywhere. There are no short cuts to get in.
Janet and I toured that part of Texas in Oct. '04. There are only a couple of places to stay in the park. I don't remember the name of the place we stayed, but it was east of the main visitor center. The area with electric and water is not really "bus friendly". We shoehorned ourselves into a spot, only to find out the polarity was screwed up. We moved a short distance to the dry camping area and had a great stay. Check out the ruins of Mariscal (an old mercury mine), Langford hot springs, and of course the main visitor center.

On the way over, don't pass up Fort Davis.

Safe travels,

Ken

jello_jeep
01-02-2008, 04:42 PM
While in Las Cruces, if you want a NICE dinner, check out the Double Eagle restaurant. Some locals took us there when we were on the way to Texas and it is GREAT.

Not cheap ( >50.00 per person plus bar tab if you have one). But really good stuff. I think I had a filet with red chile sauce, and a chile reallno.

They also have a margerita that they are famous for. I am not really much on them, but being in "Rome", I had one.. It was great too.

http://www.double-eagle-mesilla.com/