PDA

View Full Version : Powertech Genset

grantracy
01-01-2008, 05:03 PM
Does anyone happen to know the typical hourly overhaul interval for the powertech genset ?(Isuzu Powered)

Ray Davis
01-01-2008, 05:13 PM
It's probably overkill depending upon generator usage, but I tend to do it every oil change (in the bus), or at a minumum of every other. So that tends to end up about at least once per year. I probably only use the generator 10 hours per year, so it's probably overkill. But, it's an inexpensive service.

Ray

grantracy
01-01-2008, 05:18 PM
are you speaking of a generator service? I am referring to an actual overhaul of the powerplant.

jack14r
01-01-2008, 05:56 PM
I have a 10K generator with a Lister Petter 4 cylinder diesel engine with 7000 hours on it and it is still running well.I have heard of a Liberty with 30,000 hours on the generator,I think Charlie Daniels owns it.I doubt many of us can wear out a generator if we do the scheduled service .

Jon Wehrenberg
01-01-2008, 07:27 PM
I have been told by numerous owners of high hour generators that one that has been maintained regularly will easily reach 30,000 hours. Those reported hours have been on 4 cylinder Kubota powered generators, but I would presume the same performance could be expected from other powerplants such as Yanmar or Isuzu.

gmcbuffalo
01-03-2008, 01:32 AM
I asked Dick Wright of WRICO about the overhaul of the generator power plant, he told me to change the oil.
Greg

grantracy
01-03-2008, 06:07 AM
Thanks for the replies,was experiencing hotter than normal temps( 200+) and lower than normal oil pressure( 28-30 psi)spoke with service rep(s) who asked if it was shutting down,which it isn't. Will start with replacing thermostat, but at least wanted to know what typical overhaul is in case the service guys started going down that road.

Jon Wehrenberg
01-03-2008, 08:25 AM
At 200 degrees it is running much hotter than my generators have run, but that may be OK if it is what is normal for that generator.

What has your experience been? Is that the normal temperatures? If not, did the higher temperatures come about quickly, or has it been creeping up over time?

I do not know about the characteristics of diesel generators and their impact on the anti freeze characteristics, but a poorly maintained cooling system in our coaches will plug if the wrong anti freeze is used or the system chemistry is not maintained by adhering to the service requirements. The wrong anti freeze could plug the radiator tubes reducing flow and causing higher temperatures. If that is the case a thermostat will have no impact on the problem, and lower loads will reduce temperatures and higher loads will increase them. If you see that characteristic the radiator is suspect.

Also verify the cooling fan is working. If it is belt driven, is the belt slipping? If it is direct drive is the radiator blocked with debris or dirt?

Is the water pump belt driven, and is the belt loose or slipping?

Didn't someone else have a similar problem with generator temps a while back?

grantracy
01-03-2008, 11:00 AM
The temp and oil is usually 180 +/- and 40 PSI respectively. I just noticed( actually felt the heat through bay door) and it seems to creep up after the genset runs awhile. Was going to change thermostat but service center rep advised to bring it in where they can trouble shoot more effectively. Will let you know.

Jon Wehrenberg
01-03-2008, 12:22 PM
Gran,

I am clueless about Vantare, but on Liberty coaches we have a baffle that redirects the hot air exhausted from the radiator toward the rear of the coach.

If that baffle is missing, the hot air being exhausted is pulled right back through the radiator. When that happens the air passing the cooling fan motor is excessively hot and the motor thermal overload shuts off the radiator fan motor. When that happens the hot air stops flowing over the motor, it cools and the radiator fan begins working again until the motor thermal overload opens the circuit again.

The result of course is the generator runs hotter than normal. Does your radiator for the generator have baffling that can be knocked off the coach or damaged to make it not function properly?

Sometimes problems like this have simple solutions.

grantracy
01-07-2008, 05:02 PM
solved the problem..radiator is remote(in bay on left side of coach opposite generator bay)and is cooled by a scroll fan on top of a shroud. Removed fan and washed radiator coils/heat sinks.Also noticed a cutout in the bulkhead between the bays that up until now has been blocked by a box of service manuals. I surmised that this is where the fan that cools the generator box was supposed to draw air from. Now Temp is 175 and oil is 38 PSI.Did manage to overheat generator after flushing cooling system and purging air, Genset did not shut down however.Noticed a sending unit on thermostat housing.Does this control the auto shut off feature?

Jon Wehrenberg
01-07-2008, 06:40 PM
Each unit has its shutdown sensors located in different fashions so only someone familiar with your specific Genset can answer that question.

I know some sense not only coolant temperature, but coolant level. In the case of the coolant sensor being on the thermostat housing, the lack of coolant to transfer temperature to the sensor may have prevented it from shutting down the unit.

Judi Brown
04-14-2008, 02:08 PM
Put in fresh anti freeze, because thought was running to hot. Went to start genset and won't get up above idol. The starter seems to stay engaged'
so pull off wire that engages starter and it stops, but only idols for a few more min. and red button on cranking panel in next bay pops and engine
stops. Have changed filters and checked to see if getting fuel and good.
Was wondering if is heat sensor that could have tripped and have to reset
Thanks for any help. JB

Joe Cannarozzi
04-14-2008, 02:18 PM
If you slid it out to add the coolant you may have pulled something loose, I have done that myself.

If not you may have a couple of simultaneous unrelated problems, have had that too. Like a cooling issue as well as a starter issue or a wire end terminal pulled loose.

grantracy
04-14-2008, 07:38 PM
Put in fresh anti freeze, because thought was running to hot. Went to start genset and won't get up above idol. The starter seems to stay engaged'
so pull off wire that engages starter and it stops, but only idols for a few more min. and red button on cranking panel in next bay pops and engine
stops. Have changed filters and checked to see if getting fuel and good.
Was wondering if is heat sensor that could have tripped and have to reset
Thanks for any help. JB

Did you drain old anti-freeze or just top off?

Judi Brown
04-15-2008, 09:53 AM
He found problem, so thought I better post. He had tightened 2 fuel bolts
and bent the high idol set scew and was letting lever come back to far.
The automatic start was keeping starter running as signal was saying motor not running yet because not producing power. One good thing we will know coach inside out before we head out. Thanks JB