PDA

View Full Version : 06 Jeep Liberty:Key Position as TOAD?

Jim_Scoggins
12-31-2007, 04:33 PM
Double posted with Prevost-Stuff.com

I have a 06 Jeep Liberty CRD (diesel). A while back I hooked it up for a test tow around the block. The front wheels got locked in the turn position--no major damage--I was watching.

I had the key in the same position that I have used on my 91 Jeep Wrangler for years while towing: Key in, first detent counter clockwise.

I got to fooling around on the Liberty trying to find a key position whereby the wheels could turn freely back and forth and not lock up. It worked in the first detent to the right: Key in, first detent clockwise. This is the first detent back from the on position.

I have looked in the owners manual and it is indefinite about the correct position.

I think I have it figured out but for you 06 Liberty folks:
Q. What is the exact key position you use when towing?

Thanks in advance.

phorner
12-31-2007, 05:23 PM
Our '02 Liberty requires the key in the first detent to the right, or clockwise.

I always put the key in the "on" position, where all the dash warning lights illuminate, then back off (to the left) one "click" to make sure I'm in the right spot.

As a last check, I turn the steering wheel by hand left and right to confirm that it moves freely.

Hope this helps, I'm not sure if the same switch positions exist on the newer Liberty steering columns.

jello_jeep
12-31-2007, 08:15 PM
Ditto, book says to turn key on until the master cautions light up, then back off one click!

1carguy
12-31-2007, 11:16 PM
I have an 07 Jeep grand cherokee limited with 4wd. I put the transfer case in neutral, Transmission in park, turn ignition off, pull the key and stick it in my pocket, and I am good to go. Towed it coast to coast without problems.

I would assume a liberty and a grand cherokee ignition should be similar.

dreamchasers
01-01-2008, 08:52 AM
I have a 2003 Jeep Liberty, Limited Edition (gasoline) and have towed it for 40,000 plus miles. Throughout that time, I have learned that I follow a routine that assures me I have positioned all transmission and steering features for safe towing (Trust me, I have done all the wrong things to learn).

After the car is hooked up with the tow bar, I back up the jeep to assure the Blue Ox tow bar snaps lock. Then stop the engine, place the four wheel drive transfer case into neutral, assure the auto transmission is in park and then start the engine. I then place the auto transmission in drive to assure that the jeep does not attempt to move forward. Then I turn the steering wheel to the position where it normally locks, then turn the key off (do not attempt to place auto transmission in park while engine is running!!##@#). When engine not running, I place the transmission in park, turn the key off and remove the key. Then, turn the steering wheel, left to right, until the steering wheel lock in engaged. By removing the key, I have assured the transmission is in park (Transmission damage will occur if you tow the Liberty with transmission in any gear other than park). Re insert the key, turn one detent to right, jog steering wheel left-right assuring that the steering wheel lock has released. The last thing I check before departing the jeep is to assure the parking brake is released.

As I pull forward, I have my co-pilot standing next to the Jeep to check to make sure all is rolling smoothly and I am not dragging the Jeep. On my first turn, I check in the mirror to assure the Jeep front wheels are turning in the direction of the coach turn. Then, I am "OK to GO".

The casual reader might think that I am paranoid about all the checking and re-checking before towing. As I mentioned earlier, I have experienced dragging the Jeep with the wheels locked before. It is sort of embarrassing when another driver passes you and has to tell you about squealing tires because the wheels are locked in one direction.

Oh, Well....

Hector

Jim_Scoggins
01-01-2008, 10:03 AM
Thanks to all for the info. Indeed, there are differences in the year group/model ignition set ups.

truk4u
01-01-2008, 06:34 PM
Jim,

Our 06 gas Liberty gets turned to off, that's one click counter-clockwise from the engine running position.

jello_jeep
01-02-2008, 05:06 PM
Tom, did Rosie tell you how to do that ? :p

Kuhlsport
07-02-2011, 06:34 PM
I am about to tow my '07 Dodge RAM for the first time next week and have a question about the key position. The book says turn the key to the "off" position, but not the "locked" position. I cannot remove the key in the "off" position. It has to be turned one more click to the locked position to be removed. Does this mean that I have to leave the key in the truck while towing it? The odometer and transmission position lights remain illuminated when in the "off" position. I then need a second key to lock the doors on the truck. Am I interpreting this right? Would anyone towing a Dodge truck please give me an idiot-proof clarification on this? Thanks very much!

Jon Wehrenberg
07-02-2011, 06:49 PM
Kasey,

I tow a 2002 Ram 1500. I don't know if it is the same as yours because of the year difference but here is how I do it.

Transfer case in neutral, manual transmission in neutral. Parking brake off. With the engine running I turn the key one position to OFF. The key then remains in the steering column. I use a Brakemaster which pushes on the brake pedal so to avoid feedback from the bus wiring to the stop lights I have installed a battery disconnect switch and I take the battery out of the system. I lock the doors manually and use a second key to reenter when we get to our destination. With the battery disconnect switch I could actually leave the key in the "run" position since there is no power to the truck.

On mine if I turn the key more than one click past the "off" position the steering column locks.

As to the battery disconnect, if I did not use that I would feed power to the brake lights from two sources and while that is not likely to create an issue I just feel more comfortable doing that not only to eliminate two power sources to the brake lights, but if a bad guy wants to steal my truck, after he breaks the window and gets it unhitched he will find he has not battery power. We do overnight in rest areas so I sleep better knowing I have made it just a little more difficult to steal my toad.

phorner
07-02-2011, 07:04 PM
On our Jeep Liberty, the ignition key had to be left in the vehicle, as Jon stated, in order to keep the steering "un-locked".

Since the ignition key for the Jeep Liberty is "chipped", I purchased a blank key cut to fit my ignition, and that's the key I left in the vehicle while towing it. The blank would unlock the column, but the Jeep couldn't be driven. The engine would shut down without the properly coded ignition key.

Now, convincing the locksmith to make me a key that we both knew would be useless to to actually drive the Jeep is another story...

Kuhlsport
07-02-2011, 08:57 PM
Thanks guys! I guess I can always just pull the key out once stopped for the night and then put it back in before departing in the morning if worried about security.

johnklopp
07-03-2011, 10:19 AM
On our Jeep Liberty, the ignition key had to be left in the vehicle, as Jon stated, in order to keep the steering "un-locked".

Since the ignition key for the Jeep Liberty is "chipped", I purchased a blank key cut to fit my ignition, and that's the key I left in the vehicle while towing it. The blank would unlock the column, but the Jeep couldn't be driven. The engine would shut down without the properly coded ignition key.

Now, convincing the locksmith to make me a key that we both knew would be useless to to actually drive the Jeep is another story...

I Have always done as Tom indicated and never had problems with someone taking the keys to one of the few Diesel Jeep Libertys made.

Paul, great idea to have a non "chipped" blank key made, no one can start the jeep and the column lock will be off.

truk4u
07-03-2011, 08:05 PM
We have an extra key in the bus and just lock the doors with the remote and leave the key in the ignition.