PDA

View Full Version : Generator Voltage

jimshoen
12-28-2007, 09:41 PM
1997 Marathon with 20KW Powertech Gen Set.
Generator starts and runs fine. Voltage is 118-120 both legs.
After running a few hours the voltage drops off to less than 60 volts.
I only dicovered this problem on my last trip back from Las Vegas. Apparently, as the voltage drops off, the electrical system (inverters) take over so the only clue I got running down the road was my front cruise air unit shut down (it runs on generator or shore power only).
Any good ideas on this little challenge?
Jim

garyde
12-28-2007, 09:48 PM
Hi Jim. If the voltage drops under load, Loose wiring or a voltage regulator .

jack14r
12-29-2007, 07:46 AM
A friend had a similar problem and it was only the fuel filter on the generator would not pass enough fuel to make full power.

truk4u
12-29-2007, 09:31 AM
Jim,

I had a similar problem with my 97 Marathon and the regulator is adjustable. I had to replace mine, but you may get away with just the adjustment. The original was burned on the back of the regulator from heat and cracked.

I can't upload pictures today cause Skiffer must not have paid his Server Maintenance, but here's my previous thread and you can see the pictures. Look at several of my threads during that time, there's a link if you need a new regulator.

Here ya go... http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/showthread.php?t=228&highlight=generator.

If you need help, just yell...

jimshoen
12-29-2007, 10:46 AM
The fuel filter is new, less than 10 hours on it. I've had the voltage regulator adjusted one time already. I suspect it is the regulator and I will check for loose wiring also.
Thanks,
Jim