PDA

View Full Version : 91 Liberty H3 40

Judi Brown
12-27-2007, 10:04 PM
When we hit a bump in road, front seems to bottom out. Is this normal
or is there something we can do to overcome this.
Judi

garyde
12-27-2007, 10:57 PM
Hi Judi. I would check your ride height first. I'm assuming your ride height air pressure is not dropping while your on the road. Also, your shock absorbers may need replacing.

Jerry Winchester
12-27-2007, 11:26 PM
Judi,

I think Gary has this one pegged. That is the first two places to look and you can check the ride height with a tape measure or it may show up on the Level Low level on the console, although I wouldn't trust that much.

The shocks are a likely culprit and if the coach bounces much when you hit a slight dip, then that may be an easy fix.

Our coach bottoms out too, but only when my wife drives cuz she sets the cruise control at 85.:rolleyes:

garyde
12-27-2007, 11:48 PM
Judi,

Our coach bottoms out too, but only when my wife drives cuz she sets the cruise control at 85.:rolleyes:

Rule#1. 'Never use the words Wife and Weight in the same sentence or an inference.' Yea, good save Jerry.

Jon Wehrenberg
12-28-2007, 06:45 AM
Great advice, and it is correct.

If the ride height and shocks are OK, get the coach weighed to verify you are not exceeding the axle weight limits.

dalej
12-28-2007, 09:11 AM
Judi,

A quick look at the distance between the front tires and the rubber skirts will tell you a lot. most bus's that are in there ride height will have the top of the tire at the same height as the bottom of the skirt. Get your eyes level with the top of the tire and see where the bottom of the skirt is.

Let us know.

Judi Brown
12-28-2007, 10:08 AM
The bus seems level when aired up and holds air for weeks. Where do I measure and what is the measurement. Thanks and Happy New Year.
Judi:confused:

dalej
12-28-2007, 10:27 AM
Judi,

You should have blocks under the frame supports when you get under to do measuring and repairs. If you turn the wheels all the way to the left or right you can check the measurements of the bags and see if the shocks are broke or leaking oil without getting under the bus.

On mine, I have had broken shocks before and that will cause the bus to give a ride that seems springy. I have four shocks so if I get a broken one I can tell.

If your bus seems level in road height, your ride height is more then likely ok. To check the bag height measure the distance between where the bag is, there is a top and bottom plate that hold the bags. Then measure between the plates, should be in the 10.75 range if I am remembering right.

If you only have two shocks on the front you could add two more and that will help your ride, if your ride height is correct.

Jon Wehrenberg
12-28-2007, 04:55 PM
While Dale is technically correct, and his method is spelled out in the Prevost manuals find a smooth level concrete surface and just measure from the ground up to the bottom of the bay doors all the way around.

Dales method eliminates the variable caused by uneven ground surfaces, but as long as the space between the bottom of the bay doors and the ground is reasonably consistent it is probable your height is correct, especially if the bottom of the fender skirts is even with or just above the top of the tires.

No sense getting under the coach unless you really want to, in which case, make sure it is blocked. Dale is correct about looking for indications the shocks have failed, but remeber, you should have at least two in the front, and at least six in the rear, with the front two drive axle shocks difficult to see because they are in front of the drive axle front fender liner (I think).

garyde
12-28-2007, 08:21 PM
When we hit a bump in road, front seems to bottom out. Is this normal
or is there something we can do to overcome this.
Judi

After thinkin a bit, I'm wondering what you mean by 'bottom out'? Are you scraping the front going down the road, are you bouncing, what actually happens.

Judi Brown
12-29-2007, 05:56 PM
It seems to hit bottom of suspension, the front don't scrape or anything,
but you just seem to hit a spot where you are at the bottom.
Thanks Judi

JIM CHALOUPKA
12-29-2007, 06:23 PM
It seems to hit bottom of suspension, the front don't scrape or anything,
but you just seem to hit a spot where you are at the bottom.
Thanks Judi

Judi, you gotta stop carrying all your Gold up front!? :D Like an aircraft you have to balance your load!

On a more serious note. Tell us are you en route to Alaska. What kind of roads are you on or off. How fast are you going etc. when this happens?
I suppose your shocks could be totally worn out and bone dry. How many miles on the bus? Did you get service records with the bus on purchase? If so can you find any receipts for shock replacement? This is all academic though. If you get someone knowledgeable under the bus, they will find your problem. What is your location? Someone in the group may know a good repair facility in your area!

Are you trying to repair this yourself or are you just gaining knowledge so you don't get ripped at the repair shop?

Judi Brown
12-29-2007, 08:24 PM
We are in Vancouver Canada, If it is a problem, we will take it and have it fixed. There are 130,000 miles on coach. Some members might know coach.
It was owned by a Jack Stewart from Washington state. It is we have worried about things in past that where normal and want to know coach
inside out before leaving on trip. We have had class A motorhomes in past and this is a big step up.. Right now we are trying to learn coach , so our trip
will be a holiday and not my husband having to work on coach all the time.
When we go fishing,he spends all his time baiting grandkids hooks and don't
get any fishing in. So he says if we don't know coach and he gets to holiday
we are not going. Thats why I ask questions that might not be a problem.
He says he is going to get shocks checked from what we have read so far.
We want to mention what a great board this is and how polite the people are
even when asking dumb questions. Thanks again. Judi.

JIM CHALOUPKA
12-29-2007, 09:26 PM
Judi, thanks for the feedback. Somehow it makes it better when you fill in the blanks. That's a good attitude you have about getting to know as much as you can about the bus. As you have heard before there are no stupid questions, except maybe the ones not asked.
When is your trip?
Do you know where you will be taking the bus to have the front end checked?

Joe Cannarozzi
12-30-2007, 07:26 AM
Judi

Take that camper to a scale and see what the axle weights are.

In any event if it does not have the upgrade to the larger front air bags you are a prime candidate for them. Chances are they are original and are ready for replacement anyway. Do you have prior service data? Also an upgrade to Koni shocks and you can get them from Prevo parts Elgin, Ill.

When we got ours front shocks were bad and I do not recall ever bottoming out.

Ride height is measured directly behind the front wheel-well at the bottom of the bay door to the ground. I do not know what that measurement is on an H-3 but I'm sure someone will chime in here.

JIM CHALOUPKA
12-30-2007, 11:29 AM
Hi Judi, did you have any luck with the Webasto yet?

Judi Brown
12-30-2007, 04:54 PM
Yea, He has webasto working great, He is puttering along on everything
until he understands it and then mumbles how stupid he is for not knowing
how something works. I think he is doing pretty good as we didn't have any manuals. The gen. set kept shutting down after about 10 minutes and he checked anti freeze and was low and heating up and there is automatic
shut down. Running good now. Now he wants to put new flat screen tv's. in.
He say's he is going to wait till can get over pit on shocks and replace them as previous owner carried golf car in front bay. We are not leaving till May 1st, so will have plenty more questions. Again we want to thank every one for
all the help. Judi:)