PDA

View Full Version : Webasto Coolant

Danss
12-26-2007, 01:11 PM
Does the webasto get its coolant from the engine cooling system? My overflow container for the Webasto has a cool level mark and my coolant is below that. If it is a separate system, do I add pure antifreeze on top of the webasto unit or is it a water and antifreeze mix? Thanks for info. Dan

Jon Wehrenberg
12-26-2007, 01:58 PM
Dan,

That has to be a question for the folks at Parliament unless anothe Vogue owner knows.

On our Liberty it is plumbed into the engine coolant system and set up so we can heat the engine, house, or both. Our coolant level is monitored at the header tank on the top left of the engine compartment.

If you are adding to either system, assuming yours are separated I would think that for maximum freeze protection you would want a 50/50 mix.

Are you sure the tank is not the generator coolant system?

Danss
12-26-2007, 03:45 PM
Could very well be in generator cooling system, I will look a little closer.
I will probaly add some thru Webasto unit as it has a cap. Thanks for giving me the mixture. Dan

Joe Cannarozzi
12-26-2007, 05:38 PM
Jon have you ever seen a webasto plumbed through the generator for preheating?

dreamchasers
12-26-2007, 06:30 PM
If I have an overflow tank for my Webasto, I have not found it yet. But remember, I am a newbie. Where would one look to find this tank?

Hector

Jon Wehrenberg
12-26-2007, 06:50 PM
Joe,

I have never seen a Websto, Aquahot or Espar go through the generator cooling system, and further, I have never seen the generator cooling sytem EVER be in common with the coach cooling system at any point.

I have seen conversions in which the house and chassis shared batteries.

truk4u
12-26-2007, 09:14 PM
Careful guys, if you have Aqua-Hot the coolant is self-contained and has it's own tank. Up to a certain point, I think about 2004, they used anti-freeze with a 50/50 mix and then after that, it takes Boiler Anti-Freeze, a whole different animal. You can't mix them!

mikedee
12-27-2007, 01:52 AM
I drained my Aqua Hot and added a 50/50 mixture of the low toxic antifreeze. I always worry about the antifreeze getting in to the house hot water. I remember a women in St Louis that did in four or five husbands by adding a small dose of antifreeze to their nightly wine.

Jon Wehrenberg
12-27-2007, 07:24 AM
Tom....teach us. How does Aqua Hot preheat the engine if it does not mix with engine coolant, or are you saying the Aqua Hot is exclusively a house and HW tank heating system?

What say ye?

truk4u
12-27-2007, 09:11 AM
My experience is only with a 2002 and a 2004, the early ones may be a little different. Jdub had it in his Royale, so he can jump in here for any differences. The unit heats hot water, heat exchangers for internal heat and the engine. They call the engine portion engine/motoraid and it heats the engine coolant via a pump pushing engine coolant through the internal heated anti-freeze by some kind of exchanger I assume. The engine and aqua-hot anti-freeze do not mix. When the engine is running, it heats the aqua-hot anti-freeze in the opposite direction.

The aqua-hot also heats the interior by heat exchangers just like our Webasco's. The hot water is also heated via an internal exchanger as fresh water passes through the units anti-freeze. This is the portion they changed at some point and switched to Boiler Anti-freeze in case there was a cross contamination of anti-freeze and fresh water. My 02 had a 50/50 of regular anti-freeze and my 04 had boiler anti-freeze which is pink in color and not to be confused with the pink winterizing stuff sold at the camping stores.

The big difference in the Aqua-Hot and what we are used to with our Webasco's, the aqua-hot has an electric function that can be used for interior heat and a limited amount of hot water without any diesel fired operation. When the demand for hotter temperatures in either the internal heat or a need for endless hot water, you turn on the diesel portion of the system and then things get really toasty.

The electric was great as the system had a bay heat function as well. I would select bay heat while in the garage and when the temps got cold, the thermostat would turn on the bay heat pump and I could also heat the coach or engine without firing the diesel portion. You can also select both, and use diesel and electric at the same time. This way it fired the diesel less frequently since electric was keeping the system warm.

I thought is was a fantastic system and kind of puts Webasco to shame due to the electric function.

jello_jeep
12-27-2007, 10:34 AM
Hyrbid diesel / electric.. Sounds like a great idea !