PDA

View Full Version : On The Road for Christmas

Jerry Winchester
12-23-2007, 10:35 PM
My first day out on the Christmas road trip began with a 15 degrees Oklahoma morning. And I know a lot more about the Marathon heating system that I did yesterday.

This morning I also had an inverter fault - high battery voltage, whatever that means. I reset the inverter and it went away but it had effected the bathroom heater and would only supply power to two of the three Cruisairs (making it think it was inverting power while it was tied up to 50 amp). After I reset it, everything worked as it should.

The Webasto ran like a champ cycling off and on all night long with the rear and center heaters working as needed.

When I got to McAlester this afternoon, I was able to set the galley SMX controller to run the electric heat in there and set the bathroom heater up to come on (hopefully) when it chills down some.

One thing I didn't plan for in the sub freezing temp was that I inadvertantly dropped the end of the sewer hose that connects to the coach and even though it only fell a little more than a foot, it snapped the ear right off the plastic coupler. Evidently that plastic doesn't like cold weather. So a trip to the local Wal Mart fixed that issue and the tanks took a steamy dump.

I was surprised that the bay temperature never got below 65. I also found a cold water leak on the lower radiator hose, so that will need tightening when it warms up some. At this point, I am thinking that my trip to Arizona may be via El Paso as the weather across Northern New Mexico is supposed to be way cold right after Christmas (single digits with snow).

We also had a near miss at the Flying J when my daughter's Jack Russell terrier came upon a man walking a ferret in the grass by the dump station.

I also realized the Hummer doesn't have the right washer fluid as it is now a block of ice......

ajhaig
12-23-2007, 11:22 PM
JDUB,

Have you decided where you are going to stay in the Phoenix area? We will be at Eagle View RV Resort (Fort McDowell) until December 27th.

AJ

jello_jeep
12-23-2007, 11:59 PM
Yeah Jerry, we will be in Lake Havasu City from the day after Christmas, until New Years Eve!

If you are nearby, give us a shout!

Jeff Bayley
12-24-2007, 08:18 AM
Jerry-

Is this the trip where you asked about places to stay in Tombstone or did you already make that trip ?

If you already went, tell where you stayed and how you found the town. We stayed 3 weeks. I don't like the sour pus that runs the Wells Fargo RV park but that one is within walking distance to the shops and wattering holes.

South of Albequrque on the main Hwy leading to El Paso, there is a state park called Elephant Butte which is on a lake and there are hook ups but if you boon dock it, there's a killer spot right up against a cliff overlooking the lake. It's right off the Hwy. in case you go what way.

truk4u
12-24-2007, 09:43 AM
Jdub,

Keep the saga coming, we need a good replacement for Christmas Vacation for those of us at home with cold bus engines..

OK, Sparky.:D

MangoMike
12-24-2007, 09:56 AM
Although the Anderson tribe is not having half the fun of the Winchesters, we are on the road heading to Myrtle Beach then possibly on to Florida for some warmer weather.

First stop Richmond to check out the lights and grab some grub. Couldn't find a decent taco anywhere.

Merry Christmas

mm

MangoMike
12-24-2007, 10:19 AM
NORAD's tracking santa again this year.

Here's your chance to follow the big fella. (Santa not JDUB).

http://www.noradsanta.org/

phorner
12-24-2007, 01:51 PM
Mike,

Don't know if this will influence your decision to head for Florida, but as I'm writing this, it's 80 degrees and sunny....

Oh, and did I mention that yesterday afternoon was spent in the pool...??

Happy travels.

MangoMike
12-24-2007, 01:58 PM
Paul,

Your negotiating skills are finely honed.

One more notch in the FLorida bound decision factor.

mm

BTW Lew says you were skinny dippin' in the pool.

Just Plain Jeff
12-24-2007, 02:27 PM
I'm not gonna suck up to Jon because I have told him everything I know about campers.

Just went out and shot this in Lew Land:

MangoMike
12-24-2007, 03:05 PM
JPJ,

You're right. He always prefaced anything he's taught me by saying. "This is the way Jerff showed me."
mm

tdelorme
12-24-2007, 03:44 PM
I'm not gonna suck up to Jon because I have told him everything I know about campers.

Just went out and shot this in Lew Land:

Well what the heck did you "SHOOT," a ghost ??? By golly down here if you say "I went out and shot" something and post a picture of it on the internet, you need to be holding some kind of critter. And, if you want any "atta boys," the critter needs to be a big'n.

Now, just so you don't get your feelings hurt, let me be the first to say

Nice Ghost, Jeff!!

Jerry Winchester
12-24-2007, 06:27 PM
AJ,

We are going to stay at the same place you are staying, but we won't get there until the afternoon of the 27th. We are coming back to Tucson / Tombstone after the game, probably around the 2nd, then work our way back toward Houston.

Spent the afternoon cleaning on the coach and making a few last minute preparations prior to headed for my grandmother's house. She's 94 and lives out in the country (same farmhouse for last 50 years). We boycotted holiday food, so the menu is Mexican and with 55 Winchesters in the house, I'm betting some taco disappear.

I'll post some pics as we head west. I had to buy a new camera cuz some a-hole stole both the throw down Canon and the Supremely Expensive Canon D30 from the front seat of my pickup while it was parked in my driveway.

Hope everyone has a great Christmas.

JDUB

lewpopp
12-24-2007, 09:29 PM
Nice neighborhood you live in. You can leave all doors and windows open in Lewland.

jello_jeep
12-24-2007, 09:32 PM
I saw a guy posting 2 used Canons on Ebay, down Ga way..

Trukster, is that you with the Canons ?? :confused::D:p

Just Plain Jeff
12-25-2007, 07:15 AM
Well what the heck did you "SHOOT," a ghost ??? By golly down here if you say "I went out and shot" something and post a picture of it on the internet, you need to be holding some kind of critter. And, if you want any "atta boys," the critter needs to be a big'n.

Now, just so you don't get your feelings hurt, let me be the first to say

Nice Ghost, Jeff!!

Is it the Ghost of Christmas Past, Present or Future?

Who knows?

Hmmmmm.

Stealth cloaking device has been invoked....

Jerry Winchester
12-27-2007, 01:00 AM
Lew,

Bite me.

Okay, now that that's over we made it from the snowy, rainy weather of Oklahoma all the way to El Paso this evening with no issues.

I do need to check to see what the idiot light that looks like the back of the bus with wavy lines underneath it means. It as come one twice for less than ten seconds and then back off. Any thoughts?

Stopped in Van Horn for tacos. I can tell you that Chuy's may be the place the John Madden stops on his cross country jaunts, but their food sucks. And the service is not much better. Oh well, a stop tomorrow in Tucson for lunch will fix that.

jack14r
12-27-2007, 06:24 AM
Jerry,That idiot light might be the one for slick pavement,it is activated just above freezing.I guess 15 degrees a few days ago does not qualify as possibly slick pavement.

Jerry Winchester
12-27-2007, 08:45 AM
Jack,

I thougth that might be it. When it was 15, I was parked and when it came on I was driving and the temp was 33-34 degrees, so I am guessing you are right. I am about to launch out this morning and it is 23, so if it comes on again, that should confirm it.

I'm glad I stopped in Pecos to let the locals hand wash everthing after the first 100 miles in the rain. Everything is shining like a diamond in a goat's ass, so all the truckers here at the rest stop will have something to whine about.

I feel some breakfast tacos coming on...........

Ray Davis
12-27-2007, 12:10 PM
Hey Jdub!

You got your tracker system installed/working on this bus?

If so, what's the URL again?

Ray

Jerry Winchester
12-27-2007, 08:48 PM
Ray,

Of all the things I do have going, that isn't one of them. I will get it rigged up in a couple of days and let you know.

We made it to Fort McDowell this afternoon and I have done nothing but work on crap all evening.

An intermittent clicking in the area above the driver's seat turned out to be a Xantech AC-1 relay that senses the plasma powering up and turns on the audio system. I got to trouble shoot this one going down I-10 while Rae was driving. Marathon's parts department is down due to inventory, so a quick Google search turned up the offending part for about half price.

So after checking into the RV park, I went out to unhook the Hummer and find a belt hanging out of the engine compartment. Opening the doors show not one but two belts off (one of the three going to the fan drive and one of the two going to AC compressor). But I think the resourceful Jack14R left me some spare belts, so that is tomorrow morning's task.

Then while I had Marathon's lone tech guy (what happens if this guy goes to take a crap and a snake bites him on the ass?) on the phone, I asked him about the ceiling accent light not working. I figured it was the bulb, but where is the unit? He says it is under the sink in the bathroom. So I go look and there is a panel under the sink and sure enough there the unit is. And since the fan runs, I pull the bulb out and it is bad, so another item to procure tomorrow.

So unless something else runs a wheel off, I may end up with a maintenance day tomorrow. Oh, I also kicked a hole in the Mickey Mouse plastic diffuser under the front Cruisair Saturday night, so I had ordered one of those on the leg to El Paso yesterday.

garyde
12-27-2007, 08:51 PM
Hi Jerry. I got that same light coming home from Branson in the middle of the night. It was in the low 30's at the time. My front air bags or shocks got a little noisey also in the cold weather.

Jerry Winchester
12-27-2007, 08:58 PM
Gary,

I had the same noise yesterday when it was so cold. I figured it was a bushing or some such item, but when I would hit a good dip the impending bounce would produce a groan. Kinda like the same noise Loc McNew makes when driving with a Cracker Barrel turtlehead.

No such noise today.

Also, the light didn't come on this morning either. Go figure.

truk4u
12-27-2007, 09:20 PM
It's Rae's fault, she was driving and belts flew off!:p Check the pressure regulator to make sure you have the right pressure on the bellows, I believe it's about 50-60 lbs. and hopefully there isn't a bellows problem. I just changed all my belts as a PM item. I put green lines (HD) on everything except the CC bus air/alternator belts.

Call me if you need part numbers Sparky...

ajhaig
12-27-2007, 10:17 PM
JDUB,

We left Fort McDowell early this AM. We are currently at Desert West Coach in Phoenix (had a exhaust manafold gasket replaced and they chased down some air leaks for us). Desert West does warranty work for Prevost and Marathon, if you need to find any parts they should be able to help.

We're off to Tucson in the AM... Any tips as to where to stay?

AJ

Jerry Winchester
12-27-2007, 11:16 PM
AJ,

I have only stayed at Beaudry's and we are going to hit Wells Fargo in Tombstone on the way back, so that's no help. I hate it that we missed you today.

When you are in Tucson, go eat at Mi Nidito. Order the beef burrito enchalada style.

http://www.minidito.net/main.html

You can park the coach around the corner by the car junkyard and they will be closed on the 31, 1 & 2nd.

If you are going to be there next week, let me know.

JDUB

Jerry Winchester
12-29-2007, 12:41 AM
This is where the offending part lives

Clicking culprit

However, I once had an odd noise in my airplane that suddenly showed up in flight and caused me more than a little concern. After cycling or shutting down everything I could, I found out that the noise was in fact my wife snoring in the back seat.

No such luck this time, but she was in fact snoozing while enroute.

Jerry Winchester
12-29-2007, 12:52 AM
Here is what was left of the bumper

It's former location

The damage

New parts installed

truk4u
12-29-2007, 08:30 AM
Nice green belts and just for the record, your problems are because you don't have any rivets!:( Is that the same door we beat to death at Branson?

We're all envious, we wanta make some smoke.....

rfoster
12-29-2007, 09:50 AM
Gettin ready to take a run over this weekend and thought of GaryDe while under the bus greasing the "U Joint"-

I know Paranoia - what is a guy to do?:cool:

Joe Cannarozzi
12-29-2007, 10:12 AM
Have fun on that run.

Be cool in the stool.

Keep that clean side up;)

ajhaig
12-30-2007, 01:16 PM
Jerry,

Good call, re: Mi Nidito, beef burrito enchalada style!

Thanks.

AJ

Loc
12-31-2007, 08:38 AM
Wow another JBUB work-cation. Rae and the girls must be thrilled. Come to think of it, they probably are, it keeps you busy and off their backs. Nice comment on the groan sounds coming from the front of your bus. The light (wavy line under bus) is the Freezing Indicator - Flashes for about 10 seconds when the outside temperature drops from 2°C to 1°C (35°F to 34°F). Enjoy the parking lot for the day. Let us know how the bob and weave goes at midnight.

win42
12-31-2007, 12:40 PM
AJ: Be aware that Mi Nidito is in the roughest part of South Tucson. I suggest a daylight visit with your family. Better safe then sorry. Enjoy the meal, we'll be checking it out in Feb.

Jerry Winchester
01-02-2008, 12:37 AM
Well we got a break from the parking gods and they let us stay in the lot at the stadium last night. Good win for the Pokes, great fireworks and the weather was just right to enjoy the "Campfire In A Can".

We holed up at McDowell Mountain Regional Park today for a family dinner and then on to Tombstone tomorrow after another Mexican food soiree.

Jerry Winchester
01-04-2008, 11:23 PM
Made a pit stop in Tombstone on the way home

Then we overnighted in Las Cruces and ran into the elusive AJ and wife Sara along with the Red Storm. Had a good chat and saw his sweetly rigged Marathon complete with dual elevated car seats. Between AJ, Loc and Kevin, maybe we need to have a Bunk Coach Rally?

Jerry Winchester
01-04-2008, 11:34 PM
Oh, forgot the game pics. Some tailgate action

Game Over

Jerry Winchester
01-05-2008, 08:36 PM
Well that was fun. About 2800 miles since we started on Dec. 21st. We hit Houston this afternoon and with a stop at the Flying J for fuel and dumping the tanks we are done for a while.

dalej
01-05-2008, 10:58 PM
Nice job of keeping us up on your trip. I'l bet it will be hard to get back to work.

You have a nice rig, always enjoy seeing photos of it.

Ray Davis
01-06-2008, 04:56 PM
Sounds like it was a great trip! 7.1 mpg, not too shabby!

Next time you get as close as Az you let us southern CA folks know. That's only a day's drive for us. We would have loved to joined you for a night or two!

Ray

rmboies
01-06-2008, 06:00 PM
[QUOTE=Jerry Winchester;22608]Oh, forgot the game pics. Some tailgate action

Jerry, great pics....I am still a little confused about the OSU flags though, shouldn't they be Scarlet and Gray?? :D

jonnie
01-06-2008, 10:32 PM
ouch!!!!!!

Jerry Winchester
01-06-2008, 10:38 PM
Deb,

I think those loosers play LSU tomorrow. Tuga said if tOSU beat the Tigers he would go buy one of Bob's Busses, so yell loud.

Geaux Tigers

rmboies
01-07-2008, 08:12 AM
Deb,

I think those loosers play LSU tomorrow. Tuga said if tOSU beat the Tigers he would go buy one of Bob's Busses, so yell loud.

Geaux Tigers

IS THIS LOUD ENOUGH JERRY?? GO BUCKS!!!!!!!

Jerry Winchester
01-08-2008, 08:16 PM
Deb,

I guess it wasn't loud enough. Bucks die again at hands of SEC. And since Tuga isn't here to take up for the Bayou Bengals, congratulations on winning the MNC and hope you didn't party too much.

And don't worry about SockBoy or A1 running any of that tOSU stuff on you. You own them now, so don't let up on them.

I was also in Houma today and most of the town was hungover, so it must have been a big time.

merle&louise
01-08-2008, 09:12 PM
We just got back from New Orleans where we have been tailgating since Sunday. I was too cheap to buy tickets to the big game so we just watched it on a big screen TV. We were parked with 39 other motorhomes on Julia Street. We had a blast as you can imagine.

The Bucks played a great game and the OSU fans were great. We met about 25 that were parked around the Dome; we invited them to come over and eat some jambalya and gumbo. :D

lewpopp
01-10-2008, 12:10 AM
Merle and Louise,

Why aren't you coming to the mini-POG rally in Port St Lucie?

merle&louise
01-10-2008, 08:18 AM
Lew,

Karen's niece is getting married on Jan. 26th.:(

Wish we could make it; we will miss being with all of you guys.

Have a great mini rally.:D

rmboies
01-10-2008, 09:06 AM
[QUOTE=Jerry Winchester;22770]Deb,
I guess it wasn't loud enough. Bucks die again at hands of SEC. And since Tuga isn't here to take up for the Bayou Bengals, congratulations on winning the MNC and hope you didn't party too much.
And don't worry about SockBoy or A1 running any of that tOSU stuff on you. You own them now, so don't let up on them.

Ha, I guess not Jerry! I needed my sister and family here yelling next to me--they both graduated from OSU and are huge Bucks fans...in fact, my sister can rupture your eardrum with her screaming during the games:eek: She ate in the same dining hall as the team and used to complain all the time about the great food the players had everyday compared to the common food the little people were offered--LOL

Nice to know I own the "two boys" <g> Does this mean I eventually have to adopt them???

Tuga, the Bucks played a lousy game and LSU was fabulous-- they hammered the scarlet and gray..... and nice to hear you made more friends to party with:D