PDA

View Full Version : You ain't gonna believe this one...

Just Plain Jeff
12-22-2007, 08:56 AM
Awright.

Well-noted for not wanting to get into the icky part of working a coach, the 'flush' (being polite) in this ol' coach was not working as noted on other threads.

Since it is, well kinda one of those things a person needs, got out the manuals, and started looking around at different wires and tubes and pipes. (Cue the Chorus!).

For two days in trying to figure this thing out, and getting multiple emails from a former Plastic Guy, I was determined.

Turns out that the Microphor flush needs 12v power and air pressure to work. Since every coach is different (and this one was modified) and the wiring made no sense at all it was apparent that there MUST be a way to get this thing working properly.

TA-DA!

The retrofitted Microphor has its own pancake air compressor and there was an unlabelled toggle switch. Flipped it on, the air compressor kicked in and Voile! fixed the problem and now good to go (y'know).

OK.

Gimme some of them tools. Gonna change out the injectors after I polish the inside of the turbo. Lemme at 'em.

Toldja you wouldn't believe it. :D

phorner
12-22-2007, 09:22 AM
Glad to hear that it only took a simple fix. This is certainly a high priority area that, when in need of repair, requires immediate attention.

Some things just gotta work on the bus!

tdelorme
12-22-2007, 09:34 AM
Well hang on, I'm gonna run out and blow the WHISTLE

JIM CHALOUPKA
12-22-2007, 09:38 AM
Not quite sure if turning it on equates to a repair:confused:

Just Plain Jeff
12-22-2007, 10:00 AM
JimC: When YOU get a bus, we'll decide what constitutes a repair or not.

Making stuff work (especially this one) is the important thing. I am sure most people will agree.

Anyone want a tranny dropped?

Joe Cannarozzi
12-22-2007, 10:10 AM
I'm with Jim on this one, that was no repair, put your tools away.

JIM CHALOUPKA
12-22-2007, 10:45 AM
JimC: When YOU get a bus, we'll decide what constitutes a repair or not.

Making stuff work (especially this one) is the important thing. I am sure most people will agree.

Anyone want a tranny dropped?

Hey JPJ, I now I shouldn't talk and definitely try to keep my mouth shut, but sometimes I just can't keep quiet.:D

truk4u
12-22-2007, 10:58 AM
What a crock!:rolleyes: Here's the real story.....

Sockman sends me an e-mail whining about his poop thingy not working. My first thought is to turn him over to Jdub since he's the POG poop expert. Instead, I spend 2 days of e-mails, Microphor parts pictures, diagnostic instructions, flapper 101, air pressure specs, 12v electrical circuits and tons of advise on how to use complicated tools such as screwdrivers, pliers, wrenches, etc..

Now he finds a freaking toggle switch and brags about his repair job!:eek:

Hey Skiffer, now I know what you meant......:p

Just Plain Jeff
12-22-2007, 11:05 AM
The Plastic King is right: Instead, I spend 2 days of e-mails, Microphor parts pictures, diagnostic instructions, flapper 101, air pressure specs, 12v electrical circuits and tons of advise on how to use complicated tools such as screwdrivers, pliers, wrenches, etc..

He did do everything and more.

But it does point out that sometimes a guy needs to think it through before using all the stuff in the tool box and taking stuff apart that might not go back together. Ever had that happen?

Hey, gimme a break here, it was a secret switch and now I know how the whole deal works. Just like MM. Fix one and you nailed it.

Joe Cannarozzi
12-22-2007, 01:20 PM
That's what you get for buying a used bus.

If it will make you feel better I have plumbing valve stuff that I can't figure out yet.

Truk the fact that he called you speaks volumes and should make you feel all good inside. You would do it again and we all know it;)

truk4u
12-22-2007, 09:17 PM
Joe,

You gotta watch him, he's a sneaky bugger. Has the Sockman told anyone yet what he is now driving and working on?:confused: Is there a stinky diesel thingy in his possession?

Pictures would be good...

garyde
12-22-2007, 11:51 PM
FIX :verb, ie;repair, to rebuild, the endeavor of working from broken to repaired, (Past);from not working , (Present);to working. A goal. Unattainable by some.:)

Just Plain Jeff
12-23-2007, 05:35 AM
What I learned from the exercise originally noted in the beginning of this thread was twofold:

Before you pick up tools and take stuff apart, try to understand the system and what really might be wrong.

Secondly, somewhere along the line, the owner had upgraded to a Headhunter pump with an accumulator tank. This is a 110V pump, but the sneaky part is that it has a 12v switching relay which activates the power. Also learned that this Micropor uses two separate sources of air: One for the flapper flush and the dedicated pancake compressor for water input to the bowl.

Also found out that there was a hefty check valve to insure that waste didn't get into the fresh H20, which could be a nasty thing as reported by others.

If the idea of finding out things about what is going on in the camper is the goal here, we don't have to worry about the 'repair' necessary...going from not working to working properly is the most important thing.

Especially if it is for something, well, kind of important to daily living.

tdelorme
12-23-2007, 07:15 AM
JPJ said:
"If the idea of finding out things about what is going on in the camper"

I think what has been "found out" here is that the PREVIOUS owner of the "camper" and the CURRENT owner of the "camper" have a serious hangup with the "camper's" crapper.

Now, JPJ, no one wants to dump on a fellow member, but this can be a stinky problem. If you will whiz on down to the local CVS, the Pharmacist can give you something to flush this out of your system. #1, What your looking for is the sweet smell of success. #2, You can beat this problem with regular help. And remember, we got your backside.

TOOT TOOT

Jon Wehrenberg
12-23-2007, 07:25 AM
NOTE TO LOC....YOU USED TO BE THE KING OF PUNS. TED HAS ASCENDED TO THE THRONE:D

Jon Wehrenberg
12-23-2007, 07:35 AM
OK, on a more serious note......all of us can be in a world of hurt if we have a problem with our toilet plumbing system as JPJ alluded in an earlier post.

Within the plumbing standards of this country is one rule that is never violated and that is "there shall be no cross connections". The fresh water supply shall never ever have a direct connection to the waste water side of our plumbing system.

Our coaches however violate that rule. In the plumbing system of some of our coaches the Headhunter toilet is used and because of the design of that toilet and associated valves it is possible for waste water from the toilet to backflow into the fresh water tank on the coach. When the Headhunter (and maybe other toilets) is used there should be a check valve in the supply line to the toilet flush valve so supply water cannot backflow. This has been posted here before, but as newcomers join the group it needs to be restated.

This is a serious issue, and if backflow from the toilet to the fresh water tank is not prevented with a check valve the risk of contaminating the fresh water tank exists.

grantracy
12-23-2007, 08:54 AM
OK, on a more serious note......all of us can be in a world of hurt if we have a problem with our toilet plumbing system as JPJ alluded in an earlier post.

Within the plumbing standards of this country is one rule that is never violated and that is "there shall be no cross connections". The fresh water supply shall never ever have a direct connection to the waste water side of our plumbing system.

Our coaches however violate that rule. In the plumbing system of some of our coaches the Headhunter toilet is used and because of the design of that toilet and associated valves it is possible for waste water from the toilet to backflow into the fresh water tank on the coach. When the Headhunter (and maybe other toilets) is used there should be a check valve in the supply line to the toilet flush valve so supply water cannot backflow. This has been posted here before, but as newcomers join the group it needs to be restated.

This is a serious issue, and if backflow from the toilet to the fresh water tank is not prevented with a check valve the risk of contaminating the fresh water tank exists.

Where would one look to determine if there is (or isn't) a check valve arrangement?

Jon Wehrenberg
12-23-2007, 12:59 PM
Gran...

Your Headhunter toilet is likely to have a clear braided water hose going to it from your pump or your accumulator tank.

That hose is likely to be around 3/4 inch or 1 inch diameter inside. The check valve should be somewhere in that line.

The check valve is above the shut off valve.

Joe Cannarozzi
12-23-2007, 01:01 PM
Jon are those pictures of your bus?

Jon Wehrenberg
12-23-2007, 01:32 PM
Joe. Yes. I installed both valves.

rfoster
12-23-2007, 04:21 PM
Jon: Why aren't those copper pipes shinning? Too many other projects and shiney stuff is slacking? Are your slack adjusters dull too? I can see the effects of that Rock/ hip hop music is having. You should revert to Lawrence Welk quick.:cool:

truk4u
12-23-2007, 05:56 PM
Jon,

All good points and most folks should be aware this is not an issue with the Microphor toilets.

PS - Nice valve..:p

Joe Cannarozzi
12-23-2007, 06:02 PM
Roger I couldn't have put it any better.

Jon we don't care if all that stuff is not exposed but buried behind a wall.

Can't have this.

While we are on the subject I was wondering. Once you get a piece of copper all shined up what do you seal it up with to keep it that way? Specific brand products would be good.

The last time I opened up the plumbing bay I polished up my tanks. They are out of view behind a finished bay:o

I think we got shinier water tanks than Jon:D

Jon Wehrenberg
12-23-2007, 06:48 PM
OK, ballbreakers....we will have a copper pipe inspection in Sevierville for those that dare try to compete. This will not rise to the level of the Bling contest, but it will separate the men from the boys.

For you lazy ones (and you know who you are) I do not seal my copper with anything. Instead I lovingly caress my pipes regularly with the copper cleaner of the day.

I have been busy dudes and dudettes....I have this fall added my inverter by-pass switches, a new radio in the dash with expanded capability, including adding a new 12 CD changer in the upper switch cabinet, requiring the disassembly of my upper cabinets, the removal of my three lower dash panels and the wiring to be a part of the original factory loom so it looked right.

I also added a back up water pump and I am nearly finished replacing every Norgren valve and replacing the guts on my 5 solenoid valves. As a result of the Norgren valve project I have even more insight as to how to deal with the leans.

My copper and wheel polishing as a result has gone to hell, but after 4 more Norgrens and my solenoid valve repairs I will have time to spare to make my pipes glisten. BTW, machine polished pipes do not count. We are talking hand polished, so break out the elbow grease and prepare to do battle.

rfoster
12-23-2007, 09:24 PM
Who is this man making big talk, is it Mike Tyson - no he is in jail or eating ears or something,

No I believe it to be the "Man" - The A1 Man --winner of the Anal Award.

I think there has been a challenge laid out here somewhere.

Have you been playing that radio too loud? That Hip Hop crap will ruin your mind.

What's the ante?

Jon Wehrenberg
12-24-2007, 06:59 AM
The ante is bragging rights. Bring it on!

Jeff Bayley
12-24-2007, 08:09 AM
My bus has a Microphor toilet that needed to be rebuilt. Not a very plentiful supply of people that knew how to do it so I wound up doing it myself, including a new hopper which is the bowl part where everythign holds until it swhooses away.

2 things. One, does anyone know a good way to clean that sucka ? I try letting holding tank checmical soak on it and it had no effect. I guess if I wanted to clean it really good and by that I mean the skid marks that accumulate after a while, I'd have to get a miniture bristle brush on the end of a wire. Doesn't seem to stink so maybe I should bother with more important things than blinking the inside of my bowl.

2nd, my set up has this big dedicated air pump. It has a leak in it somewhere and when that pump switch was on, it was always cycling to refill to appropriate pressure every couple of minutes. I put an air check valve and that solved it in case anyone else has that same problem. The check valve went down right near the pump.

truk4u
12-24-2007, 09:55 AM
Jon,

I'm experiencing some of the same trials and tribulations.....

truk4u
12-24-2007, 09:58 AM
Now if I can just find that one bad circuit?

Jon Wehrenberg
12-24-2007, 12:47 PM
I feel your pain Tom. When I ran the new CD player cable I looked every way from Sunday trying to make it easy for myself and short of drilling holes through my dash I ended up running the wires in parallel with the wiring looms from the RH dash, across under the center and left dash, up the LH windshield post, and then across the top rear behind the fibreglass cap to just past the middle of the top cabinets.

What a PITA. I cannot believe all the electronic stuff that is hidden next to the Cruise Air evaporator, behind and next to the TV, and in the cabinet that houses the TV switching, antenna controls, tank monitors, DVD/VCR player, and sound system equalizer. I assume all coaches are like this and also assume there has to be miles and miles of wiring of every type.

MangoMike
12-24-2007, 12:57 PM
I'm with you guys.

I installed XM radio and had to run the antenna cable down from the roof. Took me the better part of a day. Found the XL Liberty easier to access than the H3 Marathon.

Jon, you're right. Exploring hidden areas is like an electronic Easter Egg hunt.

Behind the TV.

mm

bill&jody
12-24-2007, 11:20 PM
back to the microphor.
am i the only one with a completely electrically operated microphor? no air pressure required.

i also have a vacuum breaker installed courtesy of CC that provides isolation between black and potable water.

wmm

mike kerley
12-26-2007, 02:43 PM
Bill, We have the same unit as you. Nothing but electric valves and water.. No air. Also have a check valve.

truk4u
12-26-2007, 09:07 PM
Dear Wmm,

You must have missed all my ramblings and pictures of the Electric Microphor rebuild process, you are for sure not the only one with electric!

The vacuum breakers sole purpose is to allow a small amount of water to be squirted into the vent tube at each flush to keep from smelling like Jdub at a Taco stand. In other words, it's a mini p-trap. Has nothing to do with back-flow. There is no back-flow, can't happen...

That will be 2 beers please!:D

bill&jody
12-27-2007, 07:10 PM
you're right! i DID miss it, and i'm wondering how that is possible!!! cecil b demille must have missed it too, cuz it ain't made it to the big screen yet.

i'll cruise the archives and see what i can find.............

motl
wmm