PDA

View Full Version : Changing out a steering wheel

tdelorme
12-20-2007, 11:08 PM
I want to update the original steering wheel on our coach. In talking with two different sellers, they both ask what brand of steering Prevost uses. I told them I would ask the experts and get back with them. I know the front axle is Rockwell and the steering box is a Ross. So, what brand is it. Also, if anyone has changed out a steering wheel, what pitfalls do I need to look out for? Thanks

Jerry Winchester
12-21-2007, 07:46 AM
Mel,

Here is the link to the steering wheel change out thread.

http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/showthread.php?t=30&highlight=steering+wheel

tdelorme
12-21-2007, 07:55 AM
Thanks, Jerry. Not sure I want to get into this after reading the thread. Do you remember where you bought your wheel? I'm thinking it might be smart to bring everything up to the Tenn rally and get some help.

Jerry Winchester
12-21-2007, 08:36 AM
I bought it from one of the online bus guys (the bus man or IBP) but you can search "VIP Steering Wheel" and find it from there.

If you bring it to Tenn., make sure you bring a puller or chat with someone who has one and can bring it cuz it's a bitch to pull it without one.

It won't take long to change at that point, so as long as there are tacos involved, MangoMike will work on it and I will supervise. And you have to keep A$$krak Tom busy outside....

BrianE
12-21-2007, 10:03 AM
There is an irritating squeek when I turn my steering wheel. Have tried to squirt WD-40 under the plastic skirt and into various cracks and openings with no improvement. Have determined I may need to pull the wheel to fix it. Would like to join the que for a pull at Sevierville unless someone has a better idea.

Jon Wehrenberg
12-21-2007, 12:26 PM
I'm no expert and have no clue how to pull my current steering wheel, but I remember having the one off in my old coach to repair a defective horn switch and I popped it off in a few minutes using the tools I had in the coach while we were in a campground in AZ.

Too many years ago to remember the details, but it couldn't have been too hard or required any special tools.

Joe Cannarozzi
12-21-2007, 04:56 PM
Ted bringing some of your parts to install at a rally is a great idea. Especially the stuff that you may be a little unsure of and when people who will be there have already did it and have experience and can help.

I've got all kind of parts I could install with the help of others, and much more enjoyably.

I think I will bring the fuel gauge sending unit:eek:

Or maybe Harry will help me get all the road dings off the nose.

Jerry can install a new steering wheel for us.

Mike can show everyone how to switch out an airbag by helping me there.

Lew can show everyone how to do side windows with our broken pains.

Dale can demonstrate his creative abilities by fabbing up some new custom tips.

Jon could demonstrate how to properly polish our copper plumbing.

If I omitted anyone please chime in.

Jon Wehrenberg
12-21-2007, 08:10 PM
And Joe can teach us how to rebuild a rear end, and he has pictures to prove it.

tdelorme
12-21-2007, 08:25 PM
And Joe can teach us how to rebuild a rear end, and he has pictures to prove it.

I was thinking that Joe could do a generator compartment rebuild session. That was a big project that was done right and ended up better than new.

Jon Wehrenberg
12-21-2007, 08:40 PM
Joe is a savvy guy that should be putting on some seminars. He has a lot to offer. I would especially like to see him do one on driving techniques.

C'mon Joe.

Joe Cannarozzi
12-22-2007, 03:02 AM
Watch that manifold pressure/turbo boost, that's the ticket laddy.

The automatic trans really limits us in this regard. These engines really need a manual trans to realize optimum performance and mileage.

I didn't rebuild that rear Jon, simply pulled the blown one and reinstalled a good one. R & R

JIM CHALOUPKA
12-22-2007, 10:39 AM
Watch that manifold pressure/turbo boost, that's the ticket laddy.

The automatic trans really limits us in this regard. These engines really need a manual trans to realize optimum performance and mileage.

I didn't rebuild that rear Jon, simply pulled the blown one and reinstalled a good one. R & R

When you work on a rear end you need the full cooperation of all the parties involved.:eek: You can't just ram it in. Sometimes you have to massage it into a tight space. As usual it comes out easier than it goes in. An exchange like that is much easier than a rebuild where many parts and special tools are involved. If you don't get the bearing preloads and pinion depth just right you have to start all over. ;):D