PDA

View Full Version : Storage With Air Bags Dumped

truk4u
12-20-2007, 09:06 AM
I know this has come up before, but I don't see any downside to dumping the air while the bus sits in the garage. Other than not being able to determine if you have the leans or an aux air leak, what harm does it do?

Jon Wehrenberg
12-20-2007, 09:40 AM
Tom, there is no physical harm that will come to the suspension or the air bags themselves if the coach is lowered to its minimum height. I believe that inside the air bag is a rubber snubber or stop upon which the bus sits when the air bag is collapsed. If anyone has an old air bag, maybe they can pull it apart and photo it for us to see.

The old ones had a top that snapped into place and you could easily open one up. I think the tops now are crimped all around.

BrianE
12-20-2007, 10:20 AM
The stands are intended for supporting the shell. With the bus supported that way it can be stored with air in the suspension dumped like Dale does, It will allow you to work beneath it with no possiblility of the shell dropping down, and it still allows you to raise or lower the axles with much smaller jacks if you want to work on wheels or brakes or even air bags.

Where ya been Tommy? :D

Joe Camper
01-24-2016, 09:50 AM
If your bus has indipendent front suspension I would not recomend doing this because it prematurely destroys the upper a arm bushings. I've pulled upper a arms off of chassis with 60k because they were crumbling out the ends in bits and I service other coaches with well over 100000 miles where everything is still perfectly in tact.

Only difference being weather or not the front end is left at ride height or is dropped down either intentionally or from a leak

The rear end or a straight axle front end absolutely not an issue dump and lower all u like.

JIM KELLER
01-24-2016, 02:02 PM
I think it also has a negative effect on the dog bone bushings also.

Gil_J
01-24-2016, 11:54 PM
It seems like Joe and Jim may have uncovered why Prevost doesn't want bags dumped.

For long periods of non use I use stands under the chassis. This not only takes care of bags that may sag over time, but takes the weight off the tires.

jbrhodes76
03-18-2017, 09:50 PM
Can the stands be purchased? Interested in taking the weight off my airbags and tires when not in use.

Gil_J
03-18-2017, 10:07 PM
Wooden blocks work just fine. Raise your coach with the level low, insert wood blocks, and lower the coach. If you want stands, I have a pair similar to these: http://m.northerntool.com/products/shop~tools~product_200610848_200610848?hotline=fal se&cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Automotive%20%26gt%3B%20Jacks%20%26gt%3 B%20Jack%20Stands&utm_campaign=Sunex%20Tools&utm_content=39058&gclid=CjwKEAjwtbPGBRDhoLaqn6HknWsSJABR-o5sdDjtjarod91CBnDICfZZOtHpWloICc2Xg7-sxJ6_JBoCa0Lw_wcB

Make sure you use jack points.

jbrhodes76
03-18-2017, 10:56 PM
Thank you very much. Jimmy

jbrhodes76
07-10-2017, 09:05 PM
What do you mean raise coach with level low? I know how to dump the air and I know how to raise for travel. That about it as I'm still a newbie.

Joe Camper
07-10-2017, 09:38 PM
Do u have a black plastic 4 position knob that says front left right and a 3 way intermittent switch that says up down on the panel at the bottom of the drivers window at your left forearm?

What year model and converter is your bus?

jbrhodes76
07-13-2017, 09:17 PM
I have the four position knob and yes the black switch that says up and down. its a 2006 american carriage conversion and 2004 chassis.

Joe Camper
07-14-2017, 06:17 AM
Ok. If u put the selector in any of the front left and right positions u can then manually raise or lower that corner u selected with the up and down button.

Bus needs to be idling. Some respond quicker than others and u can go 4 in up or 4 in down from ride height.

On a side note I just saw a TV commercial for Dodge Ram pickup trucks and now Dodge Ram pickup trucks have level low. You can manually adjust air ride suspension on them just like our buses.

jbrhodes76
07-14-2017, 08:07 PM
Yup I know how to do that. I was just wondering what Gil meant by raise the coach with the level low? Does he mean raise the coach with the level low on jacks? Thanks for the response. Pretty cool feature on the dodge trucks!

Gil_J
07-14-2017, 09:19 PM
I meant to raise the coach with the level low. After it is up, place the jackstand under the Prevost identified hard points.