PDA

View Full Version : Chassis Battery Size?

dreamchasers
12-14-2007, 09:02 PM
It looks like I will be purchasing a chassis battery set in the near future. So I can research prices, can someone share with me what is the proper size description of these batteries?

I have ordered the battery checker and the Guest battery tender recommended by MangoMike. They should be here next week. But I suspect I will be replacing the entire set of four.

Hector

truk4u
12-14-2007, 11:04 PM
Hector,

Mine are NAPA and I'll be glad to get the numbers off them if you want.

Jon Wehrenberg
12-15-2007, 07:33 AM
At one time, and possibly to this day the standard batteries that came with the chassis were Delco 1150. They are maintenance free flooded wet cell. I have had good performance from them in the past.

Jerry Winchester
12-15-2007, 04:15 PM
Hector,

I think the first thing you need to know is it is a Group 31 battery and most are sized for trucks, so they have sufficient cold cranking amps to get you there. I replaced mine at the Interstate Battery store and I hauled them to the coach, switched them out and took them the old ones for disposal. Get the maintenance free ones.

dreamchasers
12-15-2007, 05:51 PM
Group 31 was the number I was looking for.

Jerry, Approx what can one expect to pay per battery for a Interstate Group 31 Battery$$?

Since I live in Livingston, Texas (East Texas Country), not many truck supply places here, but I do see an Interstate Battery Truck making the rounds to the boat dealers. I will check with them Monday.

I would prefer to change them out myself and clean my battery terminals while I am in the chassis battery compartment.

Thanks,

Hector

Jerry Winchester
12-15-2007, 08:47 PM
Hector,

I think I paid around $120 or so each for them. You can get almost the same battery at Sam's (I think they sell Interstate Batteries as well), but if you check the Interstate web site and put your zip code in there it will find the nearst place that sells them.

I am sure you could find cheaper batteries but if you have a problem with one of these there are a bunch of dealers that will service or swap them out.

Make sure you get the kind with lugs and not with posts (unless your coach is rigged up that way).

Jon Wehrenberg
12-15-2007, 09:13 PM
This ain't the time to be cheap. You want to insure whatever you get is maintenance free so you do not have to mess with adding distilled water. Usually one bad battery takes out the set so make sure the batteries are durable.

VegasDogMan
12-15-2007, 11:25 PM
I bought 4 at Sams last year and after I installed them I realized they were not Maintenance Free. I'm kicking myself for not thinking ahead.

It takes me about 2 hrs and a six pack of beer every 3 months or so to remove cables and check fluid levels. Bummer. I paid about $300.00 for the set of 4 batteries.

Joe Cannarozzi
12-16-2007, 04:14 AM
I picked up 8 deep-cycle batteries from Interstate battery this summer for the house batts.

They were factory seconds. The carry straps were missing and they had some scratches. 20 bucks a piece. They had a whole pallet of them but once the word got out they evaporated.

I'm waiting to go the same route on the chassis.

Orren Zook
12-16-2007, 12:54 PM
Hector,

They make 31 series batteries with either stud or post terminals, be sure to get the ones used on your coach - most probably stud mount as Jerry said earlier. 1000CCA 31 series batteries are going for around $80 here in Ohio.

Also, I've heard that some recyclers are paying upwards of $25 each for your old ones due to the current shortages of lead. You may pay a core charge because of this if you choose to install them yourself

JIM CHALOUPKA
12-16-2007, 01:14 PM
Hector, Put the old ones in your truck and have them with you for exchange when you get the new ones.
For the best experience in this event, charge your new batteries independently before you install!

Sorry if I told you what you already know, it's really for the guy out there that might not! ;)
You know in 20 years some of us won't be here to talk about this stuff! :(

JIM CHALOUPKA
12-16-2007, 11:17 PM
I bought 4 at Sams last year and after I installed them I realized they were not Maintenance Free. I'm kicking myself for not thinking ahead.

It takes me about 2 hrs and a six pack of beer every 3 months or so to remove cables and check fluid levels. Bummer. I paid about $300.00 for the set of 4 batteries.

Lee, the product in this link is what you need. Try it you'll like it!

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/academic/environment/alternative-energy/energy-resources/homepower-magazine/archives/11/11pg37.txt

dreamchasers
01-22-2008, 05:59 PM
I replaced the group 31 chassis batteries in my coach. An easy project with good results. I paid $89.00 each at O'Oreilly's Auto Parts in Livingston Texas. They had a $10.00 core charge, when you brought the old batteries back, you got you $10.00 back. The Interstate batteries I removed were rated at 625 cold cranking amps and the new Super Starts, maintenance free batteries are 1000 cold cranking amps. When I removed the old batteries, I had a mess to clean up from dirt and grime that collected in the rear (I forgot to take pictures of that). But I wanted to say thanks for the advice and job completed.

Hector

http://dreamchasers.us/pog/IMG_2853.JPG

After cleaning the terminals, I coated the clean terminals with battery coating to prevent corrosion.

Also, I am having problems posting pictures using the attachment freature, so I have uploaded this picture to my web site and linked to it. I hope the larger picture is not to big and provides enough detail.</IMG>

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-22-2008, 06:24 PM
Looks real nice Hector, and the picture is better than Skiffer's for details. That makes me ask a question and no offense intended.
In the bottom left corner of the photograph is a negative terminal with two wires connected. That connection is not entirely clear, but it appears that the lesser of the two wires connected there is on the bottom (that is, in direct contact with the terminal) with the heavy and major load carrying wire on top of it. If that is the case in theory they should be reversed on the terminal with the heaviest load and largest end connector in direct contact with the battery terminal to better carry the load.
Can't see the other terminals well enough to tell what is going on but you should check this out. :)
Some might this is nit picking, but in fact it is not!

dreamchasers
01-22-2008, 06:56 PM
Looks real nice Hector, and the picture is better than Skiffer's for details. That makes me ask a question and no offense intended.
In the bottom left corner of the photograph is a negative terminal with two wires connected. That connection is not entirely clear, but it appears that the lesser of the two wires connected there is on the bottom (that is, in direct contact with the terminal) with the heavy and major load carrying wire on top of it. If that is the case in theory they should be reversed on the terminal with the heaviest load and largest end connector in direct contact with the battery terminal to better carry the load.
Can't see the other terminals well enough to tell what is going on but you should check this out. :)
Some might this is nit picking, but in fact it is not!

Good eye Jim.

But the main battery terminal lug is mounted on the bottom (next to battery terminal) and the lighter gauge terminal in mounted on top. I can see you are one that will keep all of us honest. Remember, I am a Newbie, so keep a close eye on my doings.

Thanks,
Hector

</IMG>

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-22-2008, 08:28 PM
Sorry for my error Hector. I thought it was an important issue for all to understand and am willing to suffer the consequence of pointing out the connection at issue.
You have done a fine job and should be proud of it.:)