PDA

View Full Version : Axle Covers

Loc
12-11-2007, 08:33 AM
On the Angola we had the solid axle covers made by T. Kane. I have seen others, but do not know who makes them. I am looking for solid covers to replace the center and lug nut covers on the new bus and wondered if anyone knew of other manufacturers or providers. I have tried most of the truck chrome shop websites, but havent had much luck.

Jon Wehrenberg
12-11-2007, 08:50 AM
Do they make the bus run better?

Real men let their nuts show. Real men don't have LEDs either.

BrianE
12-11-2007, 10:01 AM
Loc,

Don't pay any attention to A-1, he gets grouchy at anyone who doesn't polish their slack adjusters.

Try this link: http://www.realwheels.com/coverup_sf.html. They are made from heavy guage stainless, are very durable, and are easy to remove. They require two fully exposed threads on 4 wheel studs however so check your wheels before ordering. In my case and others, taking the lug nuts to a machine shop and having 4 nuts on each wheel face-machined (shortened) slightly will solve this issue. Good luck.

Loc
12-11-2007, 10:44 AM
Brian,

Thanks for the link. I had not seen this manufacturer. I will need to check the studs.

Polish King,

Ouch. The Angola must have been viewed with great disdain given the wheel covers and the complete set of LED's. I like the covers because they make it to clean the wheels which I thought would be high on your list of must haves.

Jon Wehrenberg
12-11-2007, 11:53 AM
Loc and Brian.....you guys can gang up on me, but I can take it.

Obviously it is easier to hide your nuts than it is to polish around them. I think you guys should just get a set of Moons and cover the entire wheel.

For those who don't know what Moons are, ask Lew.

Loc
12-11-2007, 12:59 PM
Moons? That sounds like a wise-crack.

JIM CHALOUPKA
12-11-2007, 01:29 PM
Jon, did you have Moons on any cars? :D
I did and now when I think back on that I have to laugh, it was so dumb, but that was the look then and the way kids personalized their cars. It went with the fuzzy dice and the fluffy floor mats.:p:rolleyes:
Dean Moon laughed all the way to the bank. Ha Ha
I'm not going to say what they were until we see who else knows. I know Harry will and maybe Kevin.

MangoMike
12-11-2007, 02:12 PM
Wasn't Harry a "Moonie"?

mm

tdelorme
12-11-2007, 03:21 PM
" did you have Moons on any cars?"

Sure we ran Moon hubcaps. It was the cool deal back when we were just letting folks know we were "racers" and not to be messed with. As I remember, they looked good for a couple of weeks or until you skinned one against a curb. I'm sure they were on Mike's list of "must have" stuff for a 49 ford. For the younger folks that don't know what the heck we're talking about, here's a set on Moons. Dang, I still like um.:p

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i174/tdelorme1/moons.jpg

win42
12-11-2007, 06:56 PM
Yeah Man all the Bonneville Lake cars ran them. The street versions had flicker bars on them and adhorned lowered cars with beer sign skirts and necker knobs.