PDA

View Full Version : Generator Out of Fuel

jimshoen
11-24-2007, 03:33 PM
Darn. I knew better than to let this happen.
Fuel at 1/4 tank and generator on auto start.
Generator started and ran itself out of fuel.
Then tried to keep starting and depleted the batteries.
How do I reprime the 20KW Power Tech on my 1997 Marathon.
I already know how to change the batteries.
Jim

dalej
11-24-2007, 06:40 PM
Jim. if it has a 12v fuel pump, hook a jump start or a 12v supply to the fuel pump with small clamps, or pigtails. Unhook the fuel line at the injector pump. put the end of the line into a jar or plastic jug. Turn on the 12v supply and wait till it pumps fuel out the end of the line into the jar. Hook the line back up to to the injector and turn the 12 supply back on. After 10-15 seconds, start the generator.

Jon Wehrenberg
11-25-2007, 07:30 AM
What Dale described is correct. Once you have fuel coming out of the line to the injector pump (usually cracking the line is all that is necessary) and you tighten the fitting you will know the engine is ready to start because the fuel pump goes from a fairly rapid whirring sound to a slower tick-tick sound indicating it has pressure in the fuel delivery system.

I use a battery charger to power the fuel pump rather than trying to diddle with jumper wires.

My generator on both coaches had to work to get started after a fuel filter change so I would prime the fuel system as described above (except for loosening the fuel line) and it would fire off immediately.

merle&louise
11-25-2007, 06:14 PM
I had a little fuel pump installed on my generator. It helps when changing fuel filters or in a case like this one.:D

Jerry Winchester
11-26-2007, 03:40 PM
Jim,

The last one I reprimed was in MangoMike's coach and included A$$Krak4U Tom shielding me from a downpour with an umbrella, so I think Dale is pretty correct. When performing mechanical work on your coach, make sure this a-hole is more than a zip code away.

truk4u
11-27-2007, 07:44 AM
Large open butt cracks attract water when exposed during rain!:rolleyes:

Jon Wehrenberg
11-27-2007, 08:08 AM
I notice now that every time it rains JDUB leans backwards and puts his hands over his butt.

You must have done a number on him Truk.

MangoMike
11-27-2007, 09:16 AM
JDUB,

Check your dash quick. "Airstrike" idiot light is flashing!

Mike

Jerry Winchester
11-27-2007, 07:25 PM
And you wonder what he did to earn;

Kevlar toilet paper
Inflatable doll
Mosquito buzzer
Lifesized MangoMike photo
MangoMike photo on his camera
Personalized bumper sticker
Numerous Photoshop opportunities
Oh, and the shocking flashlight....

Reckon what's next?

Mike, I think that "Airstrike" light only comes on the H Series

jimshoen
12-29-2007, 11:13 AM
Now here is the truth in hind sight. After fooling around for about an hour to get the genset primed, I came to the conclusion that something else must be wrong. So I opened my eyes a little wider and noticed that the Start/Stop Solenoid was inop. Manually advanced the throttle and bingo the generator started. The solenoid is available from Powertech. The old solenoid puked its' guts, and fails in the closed position.
Jim