PDA

View Full Version : Code Reader

tdelorme
11-19-2007, 09:22 PM
I have hired a DD guy to do a code read on an 8V92T that is in an older Liberty. My question is, just what am I going to learn from this adventure? I think it will show a history of engine temps and RPMs, but what else should I expect for my $75 bucks? And, what would be acceptable numbers? At what point would you say "nope, I don't want an engine that has run ---degrees or over ---RPM." Any guidance here appreciated.

Jerry Winchester
11-19-2007, 11:40 PM
It will show any active codes (errors) and that is good information. It will also show engine hours / PTO hours / set points. You can also see if the codes were erased in the past (reset) and when.

Jeff Bayley
11-20-2007, 10:11 AM
I just had to replace the computer on my bus. The memory had failed in it. All of the former history is gone now. The DD guy asked me what I wanted to put for mileage. I told him to put what was on the odometer to keep it correct. But evidently, this could be rolled back if someone wanted to roll back the dash odometer to match. I don't suspect this would be all to common, but to be sure, you could check with any DD dealer with that buses VIN (I would thin) to see if the computer had ever been replaced in it since they should only be the ones who could have done it.