PDA

View Full Version : Aux Gen and GPS needed

Jeff Bayley
11-10-2007, 10:12 AM
I did a ring a round the rose discussion a few months back about installing a small aux gen for just running one roof A/C while boon docking which is what we prefer to do. It got vetoed 6 ways from Sunday by the brain trust and I gave up on the idea (temp). I couldn't get it out of my head, so I figured out how to do it and it works awesome. I bought a 2,600 watt Yamaha box frame gen that fit's in the small passenger side bay on a 45' just behind the rear wheel perfect. My buses electrical panel is in the back, in the bedroom. I drilled a hole and ran heavy wire into the panel and put a breaker dedicated to putting power to the panel. I rigged it up with a short piece of coat hanger wire so that when I turn the aux gen power on, the main breaker MUST get reminded to shut off simultaneouly in order to prevent back feeding eithe of the gens. Half of my breakers get power since it's one 110 leg and not 220 but I could move the breakers around to be able to power other things like the space heaters or whatever. I my case, I didn't have to move anything because the stuff I wanted to run was all in the right spot. One of the chargers also works to keep the batteries topped off. The generator is not the super silent type but close to it. They sell new for about $800. I got a used one for $300. Can't report yet if it will run all night on one tank but already have an aux tank plan figured out (which of course will NOT stay in there when I'm running down the road).

Vapors, heat, exhaust ? I just leave that small bay open with the gens exhaust pointed outward and lock it to the frame of the bus with a heavy duty motorcycle lock. I've very happy with the system but this is because I'm a boon docker.

On another subject. We got a boat and the marine GPS's are ungodly expensive. 3 times a car GPS. I have the Microsoft Streets and Trips for the lap top I use and love because it gives me a huge screen. To get that size screen in a Marine GPS is $2-$3,000. I haven't been able to find the Marine version of the Streets and Trips. Does anyone know or recommend a GPS conversion for Mairne GPS they know of ?

dalej
11-10-2007, 11:51 AM
Jeff, I use a Garmin 276 on the boat. you might try a google search for what you are needing.

I bought 2K diesel generator for our bus a few months ago and it is still in MN. at our sons home, we were on the Harley. I will be picking in up in early Dec. so I can talk more on this later. I still think it is a good idea. I didn't want a gas since I have huge diesel tank. I going to park mine right next to the big one.

Jeff Bayley
11-11-2007, 11:26 AM
Dale-

First, thank you for offering to help me a few months ago and offering me your phone number. I'll take a rain check on the call as I'm sure I can use your help later on electrical.

I was going to get a small diesel at first also but unless it's water cooled, I found out they make a hell of a noise. Way too untolerable. I was shocked at the noise level. I fussed around with a couple run of the mill brand gas gens and even they were too loud even when I put them outside the back of the bus I could still here the noise and it was a nusance. I've got quite a nice collection of small generators now. he,he. I'll keep some as spares on the boat also. I got a 1,000 watt honda in case I just want to keep the batteries topped off and the one that is the best bang for the buck for noise and that is the right size for the small rear bay on a 45' is the Yamaha 2,600 or 2,800 watt in the cage construction. There about $800 new. I found a new in the box ultra quiet Yamaha (about $1,500 retail) on Craigs list for $900 and grabbed that one also. For fuel, I just keep a boating 5 gallon tank and rigged it up with a T on the gen fuel line so it will run forever on that.

One very important detail I learned. The "inverter" type generators use a lot less fuel. The inverter types vary their RPM's according to the load is the reason. The inverter types are typically the ultra silent ones that cost twice as much. One of the selling points of these is that the electricity is "cleaner" so you can plug sensitive electronics right into them but we don't need that since our inverters on the bus do this job. However, the fuel economy can be twice that of the non inverter types which run at a constant RPM like our big diesel gens on the buses. The $800 Yamaha is quiet enough and is doing the job fine. I've been timing it to see how long it will run on one tank and have not used the aux tank yet. I've only run it for 2 hours. If it makes it through the night for 10 hours that's all I'm after. I just want one A/C or one space heater in the bedroom. In the case of the 1,000 watt Honda, I plan on using that overnight to keep the voltage topped off on the batteries for the Aqua Hot not to fade from low batteries.

Oh, I also just got a 600 watt Yamaha on Ebay for $150. I'm going nuts for generators.

Still trying to find a software that will turn the lap top into a Marine GPS so I can get the big screen. I found a software and a transducer that is an underwater sonar that looks ahead of the boat to warn you of shallows and that sucker is $1,500.........no GPS.

truk4u
11-11-2007, 12:57 PM
Jeff,

To solve you GPS issue, take a look at the Lowrance 600C that does both automotive and marine. I have the 500C and it works great.

http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Automotive/iWAY600C.asp