PDA

View Full Version : Question about Cruisair?

dalej
11-09-2007, 07:22 AM
I have two Cruisairs in the spare tire bay. They each have a box the size of the Crusair, that has a 120v fan in them. When the Cruisair starts the fan in the box starts and blows the hot air down to the ground.

Question is, do they need to have these added boxes to get rid of the warm air? I know some bus's have 3 Cruisairs in this bay, how do or where does the warm air from these units go.

With my setup, the bay is so full, I can't get in there to service or check valves and such to see if they are even working.

I want to clean this bay up! And I'm looking for ideas.

dale farley
11-09-2007, 08:25 AM
Dale, My 93 Marathon had 3 in the front. One swung out to give access to the other two. I had them all serviced a few months ago, and we didn't have too much trouble getting to them. They did not have any separate boxes around them. Each was in the factory metal case, and they all discharged straight down through a screened opening.

dalej
11-09-2007, 08:54 AM
So when you swing the one back into place it's right over the screened opening?

I went out and looked, my back one (in the engine area) pulls air in across the coils and exhaust out the bottom of the unit. The two in the spare tire bay pull air in the thru a screen in the front of the Cruisair and exhaust thru the coils into the box and a 120v fan helps exhaust it out the bottom.

dale farley
11-09-2007, 09:13 AM
When the front unit swings in, it is directly over the exhaust hole.

Jon Wehrenberg
11-09-2007, 11:07 AM
Dale,

I am responding based on what I think you may have. Cruise Airs are a lousy way to cool a coach that is moving down the highway. They are pulling in air that has been heated by the sun and which has radiated from the road surface.

On a hot day when you need the AC the most, this heated air does not allow sufficient cooling in the condenser unit, and ultimately your AC will shut down.

Based on what you are describing I would say that someone recognized this deficiency and created a negative pressure plenum to pull more air across the condenser coils. If you are able to stay cool because you AC does not shut down on very hot days I would say that box you describe is doing the job.

Generally when your coach sits in one spot, the ground beneath the coach is shaded, and it does not get anywhere near the temps directly above the road surface, so Cruise Airs work well for stationary use. For travel, get OTR, but if there is no OTR, at least make sure you have roof AC units, and plenty of them.

mike kerley
11-09-2007, 11:30 AM
Dale,

We have the same arrangement on our CC. Both front cruise air condensor units were changed two years ago. I dont know what you could do to clean that area up, its just tight. We were able to check the valves and recharge as required by dropping the bumper and crawling in. Cleaning the units is tough, but can be accomplished with a garder hose. Any major cleaning or service, your going to have to pull them out of the bay, then recharge after reinstalling.

Ours works while driving if the pavement is not overly hot. Everyonce in awhile, they will shut down with a HP alert, indicating the head preasure got to high (they were to hot).

I have learned to shut the AC's and the generator off, if I'm going to be driving over a dusty area (like a dirt road or parking area). They both really suck up the dirt fast.

After reading this, I guess I cant help! stay warm

Mike

Ray Davis
11-09-2007, 02:50 PM
It might be worth talking to Steve Bennett. He told me once that his 92 Marathon has a HUGE fan up in front which blows on the cruise airs, and because of this, he indicates they work pretty darn well, even in hi temp sitatuions.

Believe me though, CruiseAir's can overload in high heat, if the hot air is not somehow vented. Rather than remove the fans, you might consider replacing with one larger fan, ala Steve's coach? Check with Steve for placement, it might give you some added room.

Ray