PDA

View Full Version : Around NYC

Loc
11-06-2007, 12:39 PM
Having driven the bus across the George Washington Bridge and up I-95 to Boston once (and that was enough), I am looking for input to an alternative route to New England from Houston. I have the route down to the PA /NJ area, but am looking for help from there. I have been looking at I-81 to Scranton then I-84 to I-90 toward Boston. Has anyone driven this route in the bus? Is there a better way to avoid NYC?

Kevin Erion
11-06-2007, 01:45 PM
Loc,
Just did that route in the reverse mid August and it was great!
Kevin

Ray Davis
11-06-2007, 02:44 PM
Please share the details of a route. Don't PM them! Others of us will learn from this too.

ray

Jon Wehrenberg
11-06-2007, 03:39 PM
That is a good route you picked. We have driven all the routes in that area including the GW bridge and that's likely the best choice.

wrongagain
11-06-2007, 05:53 PM
I-90 "the pike" is a good route, nice wide road, rolling hills, etc.
but to truly enjoy the boston experience you have to drive 128 aka I-95 at rush hour.
there is nothing like the thrill of trying to exit the road as you are being past in the beakdown lane.

lewpopp
11-06-2007, 09:56 PM
continue on 81 north to 90 up near Albany. Then to the Mass Pike to Boston. Stop off at Cooperstown on the way. Have done that direction a hundred times. Perhaps an alternative to Jon's suggestion.

rickdesilva
11-07-2007, 12:20 AM
New Jersey Turnpike to 287 north to NY thruway north to 84. Not a bad ride only downside is the Turnpike tolls.

Ray Davis
11-07-2007, 10:58 AM
I assume the NY thruway is not the NY parkway? I have been told by several that buses are not allowed on NY parkway. There seemed to be question as to whether or not the NJ parkway was also closed to buses. I've heard both sides.

My little bit of driving in the NY area I will admit has me confused most of the time! I assume though, when I see "passenger cars only", that means I cannot take the bus there.

Ray

phorner
11-07-2007, 04:11 PM
In NJ, the Garden State Parkway is off limits for trucks but OK for motorhomes. Watch the overpasses, as they are arched and the lane nearest the shoulder looks kinda scary at times......

I remember driving north on the Parkway when my wife asked if I had seen the "NO TRUCKS" sign, which of course I hadn't.

Then I'm trying to figure out "why???" Is it simply to cut out the truck traffic or is there some weight-limit-low-clearance-lane-width issue that I'm about to find out about....yikes!!??

Anyway, no physical problems. And, I found out later that motorhomes were "OK".

Now, as for the traffic.......

Ray Davis
11-07-2007, 04:29 PM
So, that brings up a question that has bugged me for a long time. The question is "how do you know these things?" If I'm planning a cross-country trip how am I supposed to know that things like Parkways in NJ are OK for RV's, but not in NY?

In general it's been suggested that we follow the instructions in the Motor Carriers Atlas, but in that case, trucks are NOT allowed on either NY or NJ parkways.

So, how do you know about these cases which aren't clear? In general, how would I plan for a cross country trip, not knowing the "gotchas" in other states?

There doesn't seem to be a RV or bus document (book whatever), which lists things like closed roads, rules for RV's etc.

I'm just thinking that awhile back there was a posting about speed limits somewhere (Ohio??), and instructions about keeping speed under 55. This kind of stuff is invaluable, but hard to find, other than by tripping on it here in the forum.

Ray

rmboies
11-07-2007, 05:43 PM
[QUOTE=Ray Davis;
There doesn't seem to be a RV or bus document (book whatever), which lists things like closed roads, rules for RV's etc.
Ray[/QUOTE]

Ray, good question and maybe one that someone needs to take on board and write that book! I did find this link that has basic information for each state:

http://www.rvadvice.com/rvtravel.html

You have to scroll all the way to the bottom of each state page to find the RV road laws for that state. Here is what is listed for NY. Doesn't sound very helpful to me but it's a start! :rolleyes:

RV Road Laws - 2007
Size Limitations: Height, 13'6"; Width, 8'6" (there are some exceptions or restrictions to this); Trailer length, 48'; Motorhome length, 45'; Combined length, 65'. Triple towing is not allowed.

Required Equipment: Safety chain, brakes on trailer over 1,000 pounds unladen, 3,000 pounds laden. Lights/wipers must be on during required conditions.

Riding is permitted in pickup camper and fifth wheels only. Overnight parking in state rest areas is "as posted".

Motorhomes and trailers are NOT permitted on the Taconic State Parkway. Trailers are not permitted on most parkways.

LP gas is prohibited between Manhattan and Jersey City in the Holland Tunnel. Between Manhattan and Fort Lee, New Jersey lower level of the George Washington Bridge (I-95 South) and the George Washington Bridge Expressway between Manhattan and Weehawken, New Jersey: Lincoln Tunnel. LP gas is prohibited between Manhattan and Brooklyn on the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel and between Manhattan and Queens on the Queens Midtown Tunnel.

rickdesilva
11-07-2007, 06:27 PM
Ok believe it or not Jersey is pretty easy. We have the New Jersey Turnpike which runs basically East to West and anything can run on it. Then we have The Garden State Parkway which runs north to south. The Parkway does not allow trucks but allows RV's and Busses. The Parkway is the main Route from the north to Atlantic City which the bus companies use. It is a well maintained road however, keep your eyes on your mirrors when you leave your money at our toll plaza's as there is not much room and not all toll plaza's have a wide lane. New York has the Thruway which runs to points North from the top of NJ. As far as the traffic, thats the beauty of an RV, just turn the key off and relax eventually it will go away.

Ray Davis
11-07-2007, 08:15 PM
Rick,

I happen to have an EZ-pass because I got one when my son started attending West Point. I use it so far only in rental cars. My question is, can I use it in my bus, or do I need to contact the EZ pass people to get a different transponder? In CA we have some new toll roads, and I drive either my bus or car on the same transponder, with no problems.

I'd like to use the EZ pass when I come to New York, if possible, just to miss the toll plazas.

Current plan is to spend about a month or so in New York area in May of 2009 when my son graduates. I'm gonna take the bus, and have a great time with it. Thus my curiosity about NY and NJ roads and buses.

Ray

lewpopp
11-07-2007, 08:28 PM
Ray, you can save big bucks when entering New York by taking the southern route 86 (former 17) and go on down as far as you want and cut thru the hills to West Point. Won't cost you a cent in tolls.

Lew

rickdesilva
11-08-2007, 06:34 AM
Ray
All the tolls take EZ pass, so you should be ok. My EZ pass stays in my coach since its registered to the coach, when I requested it I had to pick the RV designation for the transponder. I would get one just for the coach to be safe. I also have one in my towed vehicle, whether EZ pass picks that up when I go thru the tolls, I really never checked my bill.

Ray Davis
11-08-2007, 12:19 PM
Thanks Rick,

I'm thinking that's the best avenue, i.e. pick up another transponder for the coach.

I don't know why, but the thought of driving around in New York area semi-terrifies me! I want to be prepared!

Thanks again,
Ray

lewpopp
11-08-2007, 09:52 PM
I brought up this subject the other day with a couple New Yorkers on the EZ-Pass and they only have the unit in the coach and not one in the car and nothing has ever come from it as far as a ticket, etc.. No use paying if you don't have to.

rickdesilva
11-10-2007, 06:36 AM
Get your fuel in jersey before you cross into NY. Its much more expensive in NY because of taxes.

bill&jody
11-10-2007, 08:55 AM
Rick,

My question is, can I use it in my bus, or do I need to contact the EZ pass people to get a different transponder?

Ray

we picked up an additional pass for the bus and had it rated for a 5 axle (because of the trailer) RV. this avoids the tool booth attendant charging us the commercial rate (they can and will) which we found out about on our first trip from VT to FL. make sure your auto EZ pass is in the special pouch or you will be debited again when the car clears the reader.

Jerry Winchester
11-10-2007, 11:22 AM
Ray,

I asked about the toad tag when I got the EZ Pass for our coach. The lady said we didn't need one for the tow vehicle as the fee was charged by the axle (how does it know how many?) and it was not an issue.

I didn't argue with her and the alarm never goes off when I am towing my trailer or toad, so I didn't worry any more about it.

They also didn't ask how many axles the coach had when I signed up for the tag. They just asked the make / model / tag number and added it to my account. Go figure.