PDA

View Full Version : Oskosh ?

lewpopp
11-04-2007, 10:26 PM
Does anyone know the dates of the next summer games there?

merle&louise
11-05-2007, 07:33 AM
Lew,

I don't know the exact dates, but it is usually in the 3rd week of July.

Are you taking flying lessons?

dalej
11-05-2007, 07:39 AM
http://www.airventure.org/2007/about/index.html

July28th-Aug.3rd is what its looking like.

meandmyprs
03-12-2008, 10:48 AM
I am going to head up to Oshkosh this year....any good suggestions on where I can park/camp for a few days from those of you who have done it before?

MangoMike
03-12-2008, 11:09 AM
Here's the second best place to stay at Osh. Dry camping only, but water is available. Nice grassy area that backs up to the EAA museum. Park by the brown spot on the grass where Tuga dumped his grey tank.

Mapquest with the satellite view his address to get an idea of the layout.

Marland Felker and pat
920 231-7264
1864 W. Waukau Ave.
oshkosh, wi 54902
patf2@netzero.net

The best place, where a number of us stayed a few years ago, is no longer available for motorhome camping. Which is a shame as it was adjacent to the area where all the Fork Tailed Dr. killers park and the primo showers.

Mike

MangoMike
03-12-2008, 11:22 AM

shuttle to main attractions stop right at the EAA museum. You can see their parking lot on the right.

mm

merle&louise
03-12-2008, 01:41 PM
meandmyprs,

Marland "the Osh dude" has a great place to park as you can see from the ariel photo that MM posted. However, Don "the Osh dude" has the premier parking spot which is located directly across the street from the main runway. Of course, since someone drove their 50,000# Prevost thru his front yard leaving ruts 6" deep we can't park there anymore. And all I did was to water Marland's grass a little:D

The Oshkosh EEA Fly-in is a lot of fun. Last year MM, JDUB, Truk4U, and I enjoyed the Beach Boys and all of the festivities. One of the highlights of the trip was watching the 101 Bonanzas land and park on the grass. I would be there again this year but we have another trip planned for the summer.

Enjoy!:D

MangoMike
03-12-2008, 01:57 PM
Tuga,

I'm sure that inconsiderate rut digging bus driver was probably a Prevost Proud member. cheesh.

Mike

Jon Wehrenberg
03-12-2008, 02:03 PM
I only know one guy on this site that displays his PP badge.

meandmyprs
03-12-2008, 05:28 PM
As always, thanks everyone for your input. As a pilot and airplane junkie (bus junkie I guess now) for years I have always tried to make it up to Oshkosh and for whatever reason it has always fallen through (work, kids, etc). With the new bus I am on a "do or die" mission to see some things in it and Oshkosh is at the top of a long list for me. Should have done it the old school way of flying in and sleeping under the wing but the bed is much more comfortable in the bus....among other things.

lewpopp
03-12-2008, 10:11 PM
For what it's worth, if we go to Wisconsin to visit my wife's brother we plan on stopping off with the POG guys that show up at the airshow. Who all is interested, and what days do you plan on being there?

grantracy
03-15-2008, 08:49 AM
Lew do you think you might make Sun and Fun in early April?

lewpopp
03-15-2008, 09:59 PM
Granvil,

I'm not into airplanes at all. I would not make the time to go there without our group. With the cost of fuel, I may even have to re-think the trip to Wiscinsin this summer.

I would really enjoy meeting up with you guys there but at this time I have not the de$ire to go.

Lew

meandmyprs
06-24-2008, 09:51 PM
I am headed up this year...taking my Wife and kids (5 and 7)...also taking my dad for his first trip to Oskosh even though he is a pilot of 40+ years.

Anyone else headed up?

Jerry Winchester
06-24-2008, 10:39 PM
M&M,

MangoMike, Krak4U and JDUB will all be front and center for the airshow. We plan on arriving Friday before the airshow starts on Monday. Then the Krakman and MM will join the B2OSH group as we swing down to RFD, load up in my Bonanza and do the 100 plane formation flight into OSH on Saturday.

The best day at OSH (in my opinion) is Sunday where we pitch the awning across from the threshold of 09 and watch the craziness that is the RIPON arrival.

The concert this year is Foreigner since the Krakman complained so loudly last year about the Beach Boys.

We should have a POG feed on Monday night followed by entertainment with the Krakman's All Sheep Quartet.

meandmyprs
06-25-2008, 10:23 AM
What is the tail number of your bonanza and I will introduce myself if we see you. We have owned several planes throughout the years including a bonanza. A great plane. I have been out of flying for a while but I am thinking of jumping back in with the all the advancements in technology and the new VLJs, particularly the Cirrus Jet.

We will probably be boondocking somwehere with the masses in our 04 CC pulling a black jeep rubicon. I could have caught a ride up in a plane but we are headed from Osh over to Yellowstone for a few days.

Brent

Jerry Winchester
06-25-2008, 10:19 PM
Brent,

N63OSU will be parked at the North 40 camping area but we will be camped out in the coaches across the street. Just call us when you get there and we can arrange a rendezvous cuz it may be hard to find us unless you know your way around.

Jerry

713-410-9324 Cell

kenrobertson
06-26-2008, 01:55 PM
Hey Guys - Look us up at EAA - Our display is on the north side of hangar C - Rick and the show staff will be onsite sometime the week of 7/21 - I'll let him know you'll be in the area, so if you have any problems, feel free to call him. Us sales types will get in over the weekend. We are all staying in coaches in the campground. Did anyone ask Mr. Skiff if this qualified as a mini rally?

We look forward to a good time,

Ken

truk4u
06-26-2008, 08:28 PM
Ken,

We'll find ya and hopefully all of Mango's systems will be working properly! I think the beer will be on us this time....;)

meandmyprs
06-29-2008, 01:14 PM
I am having a bit of an issue finding a spot to park given my great advanced planning. Any one ever stay in Camp Scholler for the week? any issues that I should know about?

Jerry Winchester
06-29-2008, 10:06 PM
Ken,

Glad you guys will be there. Maybe now the Newell dudes won't treat us like Soddomites when we go tour their coach. Only Tuga knew the secret handshake, so they gave Rae and I the bum's rush while treating Tuga and Robert to cold water and a shady place to sit.

I think we are planning a cookout on Monday if you and the boys want to do the "Walk of Shame" over to Krakmanville. We were going to see if Brent wanted to come as well, but after he meets Tom, I doubt he will want to hang much with us.

JDUB

meandmyprs
06-29-2008, 11:19 PM
And this whole time I was worried about everyones reaction to meeting me :) I would love to meet up with folks if you just let me know when and where. I will have my dad with me who I am taking up for his 70th birthday...a pilot for 50 yrs...thousands of hours of flying and he has never made it to Oshkosh.

Brent
Cell: 512-585-2859

merle&louise
06-30-2008, 08:21 AM
Ken,

Glad you guys will be there. Maybe now the Newell dudes won't treat us like Soddomites when we go tour their coach. Only Tuga knew the secret handshake, so they gave Rae and I the bum's rush while treating Tuga and Robert to cold water and a shady place to sit.

I think we are planning a cookout on Monday if you and the boys want to do the "Walk of Shame" over to Krakmanville. We were going to see if Brent wanted to come as well, but after he meets Tom, I doubt he will want to hang much with us.

JDUB

Jerry,

The secret handshake is nothing more that having your checkbook in one hand and an ink pen in the other. Wish we could be there this year but we have a conflict. Sure had fun last year - the Beach Boys were awesome!

Mango,

Sprinkle a litte grey water on the ground for me!:D

kenrobertson
06-30-2008, 11:53 AM
JDUB -

Thanks for the invite - Let us know what to bring - Knowing how you guys entertain, the "walk of shame" will be well worth it.

Tuga - Sorry we are going to miss you this year

Looking forward to it all,

Ken

meandmyprs
07-17-2008, 02:16 PM
I am headed out a week from tomorrow to Oshkosh. We will be staying in the Felker campground if anyone else is doing the same. From Oshkosh we are headed to Grizzly (yellowstone) and then back through Tiger Run as I am in no hurry to get to the Austin heat. I will have the wife and kids and this is our first trip out in the Prevost other than a run to Buckhorn. Should be interesting.

Brent

Jerry Winchester
07-17-2008, 05:18 PM
Brent,

I am headed out next Wednesday and should be in the same camping area on Friday morning. I don't think Mike gets there until Friday late afternoon and I figure the Krakman will be there early as he has to remove his plastic shield since he no doubt had to remount it for admittance to the CC rally and doesn't want to get whacked by his buddies for driving a bus with a plastic prophylactic attached.

MangoMike
07-17-2008, 05:44 PM
Making that airstrike on Friday afternoon. Get ready Krakman.

meandmyprs
07-17-2008, 06:33 PM
I should roll in by Sunday the 27th mid-day....could not break away any earlier but I will take what I can get. Look forward to meeting you guys.

Brent

truk4u
07-17-2008, 07:44 PM
Brent,

I'm already in Sturgeon Bay, WI in order to get way ahead of the two Turd Boys. You'll notice their attire, they really start to stink this time of year, with all that burlap they're wearing. What Jerk Chicken Boy and the Flame Snuffer fail to realize, is the Acme Truck has already been to Sturgeon Bay.;)

I'm not sure of the official name of the area we're staying in, but look forward to hooking up with you. If you have never met the Turd Boys, your in for a big letdown, one of them is a card carrying PP...

Jerry Winchester
07-17-2008, 11:55 PM
Krakman; ACME doesn't accept American Excess, so I think you are SOL.

Mike forwarded me the Krakmobile assult plan for OSH last week...

So we had these delivered...

Then Spongebob Gary thinks his icemaker door is jacked up. Fraid not...

And a little something for the Plastic Shield Boys...

meandmyprs
07-20-2008, 08:50 PM
As my luck would have it my generator is acting up on me (hi temp and low oil pressure)...maybe nothing I do not know but I am going to take it to Marathon Dallas tomorrow for them to keep for a couple of days to hopefully sort it out. I think this is the pilot thing with everything having to run perfectly and all gauge readings within the ranges. I still plan on getting to Oshkosh on Sunday so save me a spot...if that is possible.

I am just happy to know (if i make it there) I will be able to ask questions in person about this thing as I try to figure it all out.

Brent

MangoMike
07-20-2008, 10:57 PM
Brent,

No problem about saving your spot. We'll just move the ACME trailer upon your arrival.

Make it happen.

Mike

meandmyprs
07-20-2008, 11:40 PM
Thanks...Oh, I'll make it...after being Monaco owner you learn how to deal with things either falling off, half broken, or working "part of the time". See you in a week.

Brent

Joe Cannarozzi
07-26-2008, 03:54 PM
Very uncharacteristicly quiet up there in dairy-land land this year?

What's the scoop up there folks:)

truk4u
07-26-2008, 06:54 PM
The POG bunch has arrived at Oshkosh and all is well. Still waiting on Brent who will be in tomorrow. At dark thirty this morning, we drove to Rockford, IL to meet up with Jdub's plane to take part in the annual Beech Bonanza formation flyin to Oshkosh with 95 of Jdub's closest doctor killer friends. I got to tell ya, I flew for 35 years without incident, staying far away from other planes, but this formation stuff brings a whole new meaning to up close and personal. They are well trained and the flight was big fun, but I had to give up the right seat cause Jerk Chicken Boy thought he might hurl!:eek: He has the good pictures, but here are a few from the back seat where the sheep ride:

Lining up for the launch of 95 planes

Just after takeoff

Takeoff roll

Lead plane in our element

Camp POG

flyu2there
07-28-2008, 12:15 AM
Truk,

You forgot the evening picture, landing at Oshkosh! :D

truk4u
07-29-2008, 09:31 AM
Jdub's front row seat on Sunday for the arrivals..

Front Row

Notice the geek boy with his laptop, he has no life!

Jerry Winchester
07-30-2008, 01:06 AM
Sweet BBQ tonight with all the POG faithful. But I did see the ACME truck pull up as I was turning in. Hope nothing untoward happened.

MangoMike
07-30-2008, 01:10 AM
Well I've taken 300 shots here at Osh and haven't posted a one yet. Shame on me.

But I have to post these two before pulling up stakes.

As I was dropping off the donation to the orphanage I stumbled across Brent's and the Krakman's bus. Photo time.

MICK, WE'VE BEEN HIT!

Man, is nothing sacred.

Jerry Winchester
07-30-2008, 01:21 AM
Man, I am way disapointed someone would stoop so low. And a sheep no less. I guess that sneaky Jello Jeep must be in the area.

MangoMike
07-30-2008, 01:37 AM
Or the Locness and the WonderBeagle.

Loc
07-30-2008, 08:42 AM
Sheep again - that's so baaaad. Don't blame the WonderBeagle.

Jon Wehrenberg
07-30-2008, 08:50 AM
I don't know if it is better to wake up and have Emerson on your bus or Mary's little lamb.

Has anyone noticed that there are only two guys on this site that play with inflatables? Perhaps the Queen of the Road could make some sense of two grown boys playing with dolls.

truk4u
07-30-2008, 03:52 PM
You can never make any sense out of those two weenies! You can also never trust them.. They agree to a 4 day truce and then violate their own agreements. I don't know, maybe it's the Obama for President sticker Mango is sporting or Jdub's quest to meet and have a barbeque throw down with Nancy Pelosi! You just can't tell what direction these two degenerates will go.

Up until Tues he was a Bonanza guy, then flip flopped to a P210

Jdub's latest wheel cover design

He tells Rae, help wipe the bus or you have to cook tonight

They even went so far as to trash poor Brent with Sheila the Sheep and he didn't even have time to retaliate!:(

Jon Wehrenberg
07-30-2008, 05:26 PM
I'm glad to see JDUB has finally figured out his Bo is for doctors only. Real pilots fly inflatable planes such as the P210 and since he appears to have a fondness for inflatables it only makes sense that he would replace the V tailed doctor killer for a real plane.

rfoster
07-30-2008, 05:52 PM
When I talked to Truk, he had a phone in one hand and a lamb chop or something from the sheep in the other, but said " No, I'm not busy eating, I am following a Taco -Wagon.

meandmyprs
07-31-2008, 07:52 PM
Great time in Oshkosh...the sheep is now resting in South Dakota for the next 48 hours before it catches a ride to Yellowstone. It may just find itself on the back of a Harley by morning.

Brent

Jerry Winchester
07-31-2008, 10:46 PM
Well I have finally made it home to defend myself. I can't believe all the trouble that follows the Krakman around. Funny that he always gets hit, but those around him are strike free?

First off, I know Jon will be in denial since the newest singles to grace the Cessna line are both LOW WING airplanes. Seems even the neanderthals at Cessna have finally come around to placing the wing in the right place.

Second, the Krakman has let his rhetoric get out in front of the facts. Four day truce? Seems the photo of your lamely worded sign was taken at least a DAY before the sheep appeared. OOPS.

And Brent was just collateral damage as it seems the ACME folks actually thought a strike was being delivered on Miles' coach (same year and make), so it was just an oversight that Miles was home trying to flush some more money on the Auragen.......

But of course the trip exceeded my expectations and we met some soon to be new Pogger's over at the nice feed put on by Ken Robertson and his henchmen.

And the best part will be the video we will show at the next rally of Trukman sitting in the back of the Bonanza uttering, "Dude, can't we back it off some here" or "Dude, aren't we a little close?" or "Dude, only 57 DME to OSH" or "Dude, that is plenty close for me..."

MangoMike
07-31-2008, 11:38 PM
What a great trip this year. We had such a good family time last year even the Mangoettes wanted to return. They thought all the POG guys were "fun".

Again this year we stayed right on site at the home of Marland and Pat Feltzer. Their home is located adjacent to the EAA museum, so it's close, private and priced right.

This aerial shot is from last year. You can the TugaMobile and Trukmans Plastic Fantastic down there.

Sitting around the busses the first night. The weather this year, unlike the hot baths in years past, was perfect with 60 degree nights and low humidity.

Of course the glow was from OSU xmas inspired lighting.

Camp POG

MangoMike
07-31-2008, 11:52 PM
Up early on Saturday, the Trukman, JDUB, Abbey and I make the 2.5 hour drive down to Rockford, Il so that we can then fly back to OSH. Sounds like a typical POG thing to do.

Worth the trip, as 93 Bonanzas are lined up and ready to fly back to OSH in elements of 3. We're in element 21 so they're are 63 V tails ahead of us.

Orientation lasted an hour. Here JDUB is being querried by Trukman to see if there's a rest stop along the route.

The questions got pretty intense at this point.

Apron area courtesy of UPS.

Lined up and ready for flight. Each element took off every 15 seconds. All 93 planes were in the air in 8 minutes.

MangoMike
08-01-2008, 12:06 AM
Trukman was gracious enough to let me fly right seat, so I could do some HD video, while he spent the flight in the back seat telling Abbey his life story.

It's hard to tell from these wide angle shots (images are closer than they appear) but we were extremely close to the lead plane. For almost one hour in the air JDUB never took his eyes off that plane for a split second until we were about 20' above the runway and the lead plane had landed. He worked like a sled dog the entire trip maintaining formation. I was exhausted by the end of the trip and I only took photos.

The crew after a successful flight. All 93 planes landed 3 abreast (2 on the main runway and one on the parallel taxiway) in 15 minutes.

MangoMike
08-01-2008, 12:24 AM

There are dozens of reasons to visit Oshkosh, one of the main ones is the daily airshow. Top aerobatic pilots from around the country make they way to Oshkosh to perform for the masses. And they all donate their time for free for the EAA.

The show opens on Monday with Duggy the DC3 dropping paratroopers flying the flag and the singing of the National Anthem.

MangoMike
08-01-2008, 12:36 AM

MangoMike
08-01-2008, 12:48 AM
Thanks to the lobbying efforts of EAA president Tom Poberezny, Boeing's Dream Lifter made an appearance at EAA.

From Boeing's website:

"The Boeing Dreamlifter is a modified 747-400 passenger airplane that can haul more cargo by volume than any airplane in the world. It is the primary means of transporting major assemblies of the Boeing 787 Dreamliner from suppliers around the world to the 787 final assembly site in Everett, Wash. This reduces delivery times to as little as one day from as many as 30 days today."

You really have to stand next to it to appreciate it's size.

grantracy
08-01-2008, 07:14 AM
Great photos, going to absolutely go to Oshkosh next year. Did you happen to catch John Mohr performing in his Stearman?

phorner
08-01-2008, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the great pix Mike! It's been several years since I've been to Oshkosh and your posts brought back lots of good memories.

Sure sounds like everyone had a blast!

dalej
08-01-2008, 10:14 AM
Mike, Great photo journalism!

MangoMike
08-01-2008, 10:17 AM
When you're camping with JDUB and Trukman, you know you're going to be eatin' good.

Sunday morning we invited over a few folks to join us for Omelettes made to order. Included bacon, sausage, muffins and hash browns all care of Trukman and Nancy.

Monday night after the Foreigner Concert...

We were invited over to Camp Parliament by Ken Robertson, Rick May and his son Josh for another great meal.

Jon Wehrenberg
08-01-2008, 10:24 AM
It seems all pilots of low wing planes have this need for ego support. JDUB is no different.......

"First off, I know Jon will be in denial since the newest singles to grace the Cessna line are both LOW WING airplanes. Seems even the neanderthals at Cessna have finally come around to placing the wing in the right place."

There are two things he fails to mention. First, if low wing planes are the way planes are supposed to be designed he needs to have a discussion with God who seemed to create all flying things with high wings. I'm pretty sure a Robin would not fly if its wings came out of its belly.

Secondly, he chooses to ignore the practical aspects of a high wing plane, some of which we can excuse because he obviously avoids flying when it is raining. Anybody that has had to load himself and passengers in a plan on a rainy day knows how nice it is to stand under the wing of a high wing plane, and slowly and casually step in and find a seat. Low wing plane passengers have to climb onto a slippery wing, and for every minute it takes them to get in, their seat is collecting water. Two minutes after closing the door the RH front seat passenger feels like he peed in his pants.

But that is the pilot's way of getting even. While the passengers were waiting in the terminal out of the rain the low wing pilot was crawling around on the ground drawing fuel samples from under the wings. The high wing pilot was standing up, protected from the rain drawing his fuel samples from under the wing.

Low wing passengers get to see sheet metal and rivets along the way, high wing passengers get a wonderful view of the ground.

Low wing planes don't fly. They are so ugly the earth repels them.

MangoMike
08-01-2008, 10:30 AM
Tuesday night, our final night, we had a hoe down (I have no idea what a Texas hoe down is, but out East it probably involves ladies of the night).

JDUB brought brisket and some great sausage from the Luling City Market in Houston.

I brought Bubba Mike's pulled pork and some baby back ribs.

Dakota cooked some bbq chicken.

Nancy and Trukman took care of salad and side dishes.

The Fast Roger Bling Cooker was at full tilt.

jack14r
08-01-2008, 12:41 PM
Great pictures Mike,I gotta go next year.

Ray Davis
08-01-2008, 01:06 PM
All I can say is WOW. I definitely want to be there some time!

MangoMike
08-01-2008, 01:22 PM
BBQ Dinner

Ms. Donna, Rae Rae and Nancy

No manners necessary when eating Ribs.

To avoid frequent "low beer light" flashings, JDUB and Rae got Trukman one big ass beer.

MangoMike
08-01-2008, 03:03 PM

MangoMike
08-01-2008, 03:19 PM
Aerail view of the North 40. Just a portion of the estimated 10,000 airplanes on the ground at OSH.

Camp Scholler a first come first serve campsite for OSH on the airport grounds. I've been told 25,000 people camp here during the week. Ask Ken he was right in the heart of the masses.

From the website:

"Camp Scholler is conveniently located on the EAA Convention grounds. Individual campsites are available for tents and vehicles of all sizes (including large RVs). . Amenities include a general store, convenient access to the Fly-In Theater and Theater in the Woods evening entertainment, free public Wi-Fi, an internet café, food services, shower facilities, portable toilets, RV pumping station, and portable pumping services. Designated camping areas are also available for the handicapped, 24-hour generator use, and those who bring pets. Electric and water hookups are not available. No pre-registration is needed for Camp Scholler, and sites are allocated on a first-come-first-served basis, but don’t worry - there are always plenty of sites available!"

Any event wouldn't be a happening without Vendors. This is just part of the vendor display area.

Our friends at Parilament

For Jon

truk4u
08-02-2008, 09:25 AM
Here's another reason why you never want to follow Jdub:

MangoMike
08-02-2008, 10:26 AM
Ford offered free Bull Rides. Or you could sit around the Kraksman campsite and listen to a lot of ...

Cirrus display.

Dakota wanted this one.

One of the newest LSA (light sport aircraft) that was debuted at OSH, with great fanfare right across from Cirrus, was the Icon. A towable amphibian. I'll have to say it was a 10 on the "cool" meter. (Available in 2010 $139k)

Their website: http://www.iconaircraft.com/

MangoMike
08-02-2008, 10:34 AM
You could tour the inside of a B-17 for only $5.

JDUB and I couldn't leave OSH without buying a toy. The new Xdeck platform for bus work. Only 24 lbs. and would hold 1200 lbs. Collapsable for storage and with wheels.

Their website: http://www.safeplatforms.com/

...and finally I had to leave my mark.

Back to reality.

JIM CHALOUPKA
08-02-2008, 10:44 AM
Great show guys, thanks for all the good pictures and comments!

merle&louise
08-02-2008, 11:23 AM
Could those tire marks be caused by dumping grey water?:eek:

Jerry Winchester
08-04-2008, 04:12 PM
Well I wasn't going to post the photo I took while following the Krakman, but seeing as how he broke the truce..........

Jerry Winchester
08-04-2008, 04:14 PM
And it is true........