PDA

View Full Version : Yosemite/Earthquake

ajhaig
10-31-2007, 02:46 PM
We've been in San Francisco for the past week.

It occurred to me last night after the earthquake that the reason the San Francisco RV Resort in Pacifica hasn't been developed may be because the San Andreas Fault makes land fall in Pacifica! I'm happy to report that the Prevost, with its advanced suspension, absorbed the shock well, in fact we had no idea that there had been an earthquake.

We are going to head to Yosemite tomorrow, we will be staying at the Yosemite Pines RV Park in Groveland. We will be taking route 120 to Groveland. Has anyone taken this route and is it ok for the ole 8V92, i.e. climbs etc.? We will be headed to Monterey after Yosemite so we will only be going as far as Groveland in the bus.

Many thanks.

AJ

dalej
10-31-2007, 04:04 PM
AJ, are the kids enjoying the whole thing with the bus and traveling in all? They sure look happy or do you bribe them for the photos?... It's like we bought this bus to see the USA and you kids will have the most fun!

Maybe when the kids are older, you can take a group of POG'ers with their own bus's and you can be our tour guide. :)

win42
10-31-2007, 06:35 PM
AJ: Call me ASAP on your routing. You need to do Monterey First, because your close. The route you chose to Yosimite on 120 involves climbing Priest Grade before Groveland. You may make it, but I want to let you know what you are in for. Grab a California Map and call me

530-273-9124 Home

530-277-5534 CELL

rmboies
10-31-2007, 06:42 PM
We've been in San Francisco for the past week.
AJ

AJ, what adorable pictures of your kids, they are too cute!! If you're headed this way please leave the earthquakes behind:eek:

rff105
10-31-2007, 06:49 PM
Here is a profile of groveland to benton

Jerry Winchester
10-31-2007, 07:15 PM
AJ,

I made the exact trip you are going to make this past summer. I was at the same park you are stying in Pacifica and we stayed in Groveland at Yosemite Pines.

The trip with the 8V92 was good until we hit the long pull just before you get to Groveland. I turned the OTR off (it was summer) and then locked the transmission in 1st or 2nd depending on how steep it was. I was towing the Hummer, so you have to factor that in. In first gear with the torque converter locked up, you should have no problem pulling the grade, but it does wind around a bit, so just watch the curves.

There are two ways to get to the park. Don't take the first road and wait until you see the big sign on the right which is at the second enterance. It is easier to get it (I took the first road initially)

If you are coming back the same way you went, you will absolutly have to go down in low gear, preferably with the Jake Brake on. This is pretty easy with the Jake, but again it is pretty steep. Do not take the short cut down from the top (the left fork) because it is WAY steep. The one you came in on will be okay.

Enjoy yourself and buy diesel in the valley before you get to Groveland unless you want to give up one of the grandkids.

JDUB

Ray Davis
10-31-2007, 07:21 PM
Richard,

I never knew that Delorme Topo Maps could provide that crossectional altitude map. That's excellent! I might be buying some more software here!

Anyone know where you can get that same type of data online?

Ray

jello_jeep
10-31-2007, 08:04 PM
AJ, I am not an expert on the West end of 120, but from the East entrance to Yosemite on 120, the trip East to 395 is steep, but you will never find prettier country. When you come to hwy 395, you will be in Lee Vining, a small town at Mono Lake. South on 395 to the June Lake Loop (158) follow the loop around about 15 miles, it will put you back onto 395. You will think you went through Switzerland..

Plan your fuel stops as this aint no interstate.

If you are continuing East, you can pop back onto 120 East, and run through Benton, Tonopah NV, Beatty, and you can follow that into Las Vega$, or make a right turn and take the back road into Pahrump (location of Western mini rally), then onto 15 and go anywhere!

During this time of year, 120 and 158 and to some extent 395 are subject to snow closure, so check b4 you leave.

Take LOTS of film or memory cards!

rff105
10-31-2007, 08:31 PM
Sorry i think i posted the wrong leg of rt 120 before, i think this is the part you are talking about. Can't quite get it big enough to read the data may have to post that separately.

I use DeLorme Topo USA 6.0

http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtdItemDetail.jsp?item=23968&section=10050

I use it mostly to plan bicycle (Road & Mountain) by works great for RV trips too. You can plot out your entire route and the profile it to see what you are getting yourself into. The compare different mts to ones you have done before to get some idea of what you can expect. Great tool i recommend it, i also have handheld and laptop GPS to go with it.

mikedee
11-01-2007, 01:10 AM
We have done the route in our old fiberglass American Coach. I think you will be just fine to Groveland. Parks in the area are tight so take your time.

We live just off Hwy 120 by Riverbank/Oakdale CA. and really felt the quake last night. I ran outside in time to see the pool waves, kind of a roll, bump, roll type of quake.

We are in route to ORI Indio stop and say hello if you are in this area during the weekeend, then on to Nascar in Phoenix AZ.