PDA

View Full Version : Hello From a Newbie

dreamchasers
10-29-2007, 06:41 PM
Hello,

You guessed it, another newbie. I recently purchased a 1995 Prevost, 45 XL, Country Coach. I am a bit overwhelmed with all the different systems, but I have been reading the manuals and instructions that came with the coach. I have learned much from reading all the past post, my thanks to all the technical contributors.

My newbie question is what temperature does the engine coolant normally run? This unit seems to cycle between 195 and 200 while driving down the freeway. Is that normal? And what temperature is considered high on the Detroit Series 60, 470 HP engine.

This is the most informative forum I have ever joined.

Thanks,

Hector in Livingston, Texas
http://www.dreamchasers.us

Jerry Winchester
10-29-2007, 06:48 PM
Hector,

Welcome to the POG board and don't pay attention to all the numbnuts.

Depending on which gauge I look at, the water temp gets as high as 205 and as low as 195 depending on whats going on. I think this is pretty much normal for the Series 60. My 8V92 ran between 195 and 210 when it was pulling hard in the mountains, but I think the gauge was a little off. The one in the engine compartment always read a little cooler.

jello_jeep
10-29-2007, 08:39 PM
Welcome aboard Hector, you will have a great time here, just sit back and enoy the ride!

Do your best to get to a rally and meet the real head cases (truk) in person!

:D

truk4u
10-29-2007, 09:39 PM
Hector,

Welcome aboard, glad you joined up. My CC runs the same as yours, so your temps are good. Keep the questions coming, we'll make up something if we don't have an answer.:p

Never trust a guy by the name of jeep....

rmboies
10-29-2007, 09:56 PM
Hello,
You guessed it, another newbie.
Hector in Livingston, Texas
http://www.dreamchasers.us

Welcome Hector, Lee and "Daisy".. I chuckled when I read the quote on your blog that stated you were spending your children's inheritance one gallon at a time:D I don't have the answer to your question but I have no doubt that you will get more then enough feedback from the guys with CC coaches.

Debi (and Bob too, he's around here somewhere??)

Alek&Lucia
10-29-2007, 11:46 PM
Hello Hector,

Welcome to POG !
We have 1996 CC, same engine, which records the same temps.

Petervs
10-30-2007, 09:08 AM
Hello Hector, welcome.

My 94 Series 60 has a little added feature, there are two little lights on the dash that illuminate when the engine cooling fan is running on low speed and high speed. When you first start the bus, neither is on, until the coolant warms up. When the coolant hits about 190 the low fan turns on.

Normal driving has the gauge at 195 which I think is the thermostat set temperature, and the fan is on low all the time.

When it is hot or you pull a hill, there is a little more heat to dissipate, so when the coolant hits 200 the fan goes to high speed until the temp drops again, and the high fan goes off. On the biggest hill on the hottest day I have never seen it go higher than 210.

That is normal operation on mine. Yours sounds normal too, just having the little lights gives me great visibility on what is going on back there.

MangoMike
10-30-2007, 09:34 AM
Hector, Welcome to POG.

The guru's as POG4 offered up these temp milestones:

217 degrees - Check engine light comes on.

222 degrees - Engine shuts down to prevent heat damage.

Add this to the knowledgebase.

Mike

dalej
10-30-2007, 09:55 AM
I was sitting accross from Mike in the meeting at POG4, he was writing all this down on paper...so you can believe him on this one.

Jerry Winchester
10-30-2007, 10:44 AM
Come on Dale, he was writing it on a stinking paper sack and we used it at the party to stuff some trash in and I personally threw it away.

He is just making this crap up.

bill&jody
10-30-2007, 09:01 PM
hello and welcome!
we love your line - spending the children's inheritance - we say we are squandering our children's' inheritance!!! hahahaha they don't think it is funny!
happy travels!
jody

dreamchasers
11-01-2007, 06:59 AM
Thanks to all. I drove the coach back to Texas from Arizona. The trip was uneventful. The Prevost is much quieter and smoother riding than my (soon to be up for sale) American Eagle.

Thanks again,

Hector

Jon Wehrenberg
11-01-2007, 07:39 AM
Aha......another member of the TBC. Welcome aboard!

truk4u
11-01-2007, 08:34 AM
Hey Big John, Hector took the plunge and solved the MPD, I hear it's a good time to sell Eagles!:p

dreamchasers
11-29-2007, 09:23 AM
At last, I have had contact with Country Coach Technical Support concerning the Fast Idle issue. Their comments are that the fast idle is controlled by pushing the set button on the cruise control keypad while the vehicle is stopped and in neutral. However, this was a program change done by Country Coach to the Allison transmission computer and is not contained in the default Allison program.

They have suggested that if the Allison computer was disconnected for any reason, such as welding on the coach (this coach has receivers installed on the rear for a motorcycle lift), when the computer was reconnected and rebooted, the program would have loaded the default program from Allison, which does not include the changes needed to activate the fast idle.

Country Coach is looking into how to reinstate these program changes and will contact Prevost/Allison to interface.

Worth mentioning, I did get a detailed technical response from Country Coach, but I did have to wait several weeks. Apparently, the tech I was communicating with had to check with several others that happened to be on on vacation, thus the delayed response.

I will update when the issue is resolved.

Thanks for everybody's input.

Hector

merle&louise
11-29-2007, 10:29 AM
Welcome Hector & Lee,

I enjoyed reading on your blog; I like the pictures of Alaska and the commentary. Plan to come to POG rally in Sevierville, TN in April 2008 and you will get to meet the group. They are a great bunch of guys and gals.
As you already know, you will learn a great deal about your bus.:D

dreamchasers
11-29-2007, 06:21 PM
Yes, we are tentatively planning on attending the Tennessee Rally. Being involved with a group with common interests is great. It would be a nice spring trip.

Concerning my travel web site, well, lets say it is work in progress. I have been remittent (a nice word for lazy) in updating my 2007 travels. i have tons of pictures and comments. I thought that would be a nice job to do on cold winter days when it is too cold to work outside. The site should be updated soon. Thanks for checking out our travels and you comments.

Hector

jonnie
11-30-2007, 01:42 PM
Tom,

I don't know which excuse to use this time for not taking the plunge to cure MPD. However, I will continue to use " champagne taste on a beer pocket book"
Merry Christmas

garyde
11-30-2007, 10:36 PM
Hi John. I Knew after my 1st Class A Motorhome I was hooked. I also knew that one day I would own a Prevost. So, it's only a matter of time for those who have MPD.