PDA

View Full Version : Coach Batterty Change

rickdesilva
10-27-2007, 02:50 PM
I think I know the answer to this but I figure it always helps to ask....I've come to the realization that I have a few bad batteries in my house battery bank (12- 6volts) which are driving my inverter/ charger crazy so I need to do a complete battery replacement. I've purchased new lifelines and I'm going to switch out the wet cells for the new Lifelines. My plan is to power everything down, turn off the various breakers and main house switch, put on my athletic supporter, and change them in sequence. Once they are replaced, I know I need to reprogram the inverter/charger to address the change from wet cell to AGM. Am I missing anything?

garyde
10-27-2007, 03:04 PM
The one thing to keep in mind when working with batteries as you replace them , they are always on line, so use insulated tools if possible and maintain a safe distance from grounded structures. Wear long sleeve shirts, and long pants, shoes , etc. to keep from becoming a path to ground.

jonnie
10-27-2007, 04:32 PM
Rick,

I thought you had people to do things like change batteries for you.
Good luck. Hope all is well. We are still suffering in Cleveland.

truk4u
10-27-2007, 09:27 PM
Rick,

Be sure to unhook the ground cable to the equalizer before doing anything.

rickdesilva
10-27-2007, 10:20 PM
Thanks for all the info, now I have to find my Equalizer....thats what I love about this forum.

Jerry Winchester
10-28-2007, 09:56 AM
Rick,

Before I changed out my batteries, I actually took some digital photos of the whole set up in case I forgot where one of the cables went or how it hooked up. I could not change them out one at a time, but had to pull them and reinstall them in a sequence. I also took some plastic wire ties and ran them thru the terminal loops on the cables so that they were all together.

When I got the batteries back in, I cut the wire tie and cleaned the cable ends as I was installing them. Pretty much Krakster proof.

Jon Wehrenberg
10-28-2007, 02:59 PM
Rick,

Since the spark and arcing potential on batteries is so great when I change out batteries in addition to the great advice given above, I wrap the terminals on the cables with several wraps of masking tape to prevent an unplanned contact with a ground or post that could result in a short circuit. I unwrap them one at a time when I am connecting them to their respective battery posts.

rickdesilva
10-29-2007, 12:38 AM
Mission accomplished....actually it was relatively easy, thanks for all the info.