PDA

View Full Version : Good on Ford!

Just Plain Jeff
04-11-2006, 04:59 PM
Over the years, we've had several tow vehicles, including pickup trucks, the old venerable Saturn, and now a shiny black Ford Explorer.

Here's the scoop: The pickups were OK, but I gave up the motorcycle after getting creamed 5 years ago by a lady in blue hair, so no need for the truck.

Then about 5 years ago, we started with the Saturn, as they are noted for tow-ability. What Saturn doesn't tell you is that with the front wheel drive system that they have, the axle housing is highly stressed, especially with a heavy (pick a name) coach. Ours finally broke at about 70K miles.

So, we looked around, wanting to have some kind of reasonably economical gas users for a tow vehicle, yet one which was comfortable on the road and had some degree of safety.

We settled on the Ford Explorer.

Now, Ford doesn't do a very good job of telling customers up front about what can be towed and what can't be towed; you have to make the salesman find out for sure.

But once you find a towable Explorer, here's how to do it: After you have ground them into the dirt (or so you think) on the deal, make them throw in the special order tow-solenoid for the transmission.

The solenoid (I didn't get the part number for those who like such things) basically puts the transfer case in neutral. What you also get with the solenoid is a set of nifty stickers which tell you how to get the vehicle prepared for towing.

Get this: When you follow the right procedure, you then have a light which lights up (Yes, Mango, an LED), and when the light goes from blinking to staying on, your vehicle is ready to tow. If it isn't on, don't do it.

There have been stories bouncing around about people thinking that they are ready to tow, and do so, with varying results, normally resulting in more or less un-rounded tires, or worse.

With the Ford system, it is pretty much idiot proof, as long as you follow the procedure.

Of course, we got the solenoid and the installation at no extra charge since we had already made the deal, so that makes it even better.

And that's the way it is.

Jerry Winchester
04-11-2006, 05:42 PM
Looks like about 10 lessons in here for Jon. Where to start :confused:

Just Plain Jeff
04-11-2006, 06:11 PM
Oh yeah, you don't need LED lights?

There are, well, some people who do, but can't admit it yet?

lewpopp
04-11-2006, 09:47 PM
Just Plain Jeff

You sounded more like a drill sgt. rather than someone giving us a bit of info.

It just so happens that I just purchased a new Saturn Vue and before it consented to the deal, I made sure that they installed the extra heavy duty drive train between the front wheels. I nailed the sales crew to the wall the same way you claimed you did. HO HO

The part # you screwed that poor salesman out of is the Neutral Tow Kit part no. 3L2J-7H332-AA.

Jon Wehrenberg
04-12-2006, 03:04 PM
Round wheels are an option on an H2.

The red transmission neutral light on the dash is standard, but it isn't as bright as the big, huge, bright, glaring one on the dash that says: "You left the brake on, idiot."

lewpopp
04-12-2006, 09:37 PM
Have any of you guys run into the Progressive Industries electrical management system?

I ran into a gentleman merchandising the system at Daytona and was very impressed with it. I ran it by my in house electrical engineer and he is also interested in it.

I asked the vendor if he would have time to stop over to the POG rally and he'll get back. If you haven't been familiarized with it yet, you will surely be interested in this one.

Who knows, I may be way behind the times as this has been out for a couple years or so.

I was originally interested in the Hughes Autoformer and was told it was not anywhere near the unit as the EMS-50 by Progressive. The box is selling for $389 with one remote. Additional remotes are $80. I'd like to see the POG members reaction to it if he can make it to the rally.

mike kerley
04-13-2006, 09:10 AM
LED's are great, but in my experience, nothing beats the manual trans-axle, shift it to neutral, transmission in park, MAKE SURE THE WHEEL IS NOT LOCKED and go! Over a 100K towing a Grand Cherokee and now a Land Rover Discovery and it works great. Well, one time some dummy locked the steering wheel, but otherwise its great. Honda Pilot is simple also, but question if it will last 100K with the transmission in neutral and nothing in the drive train disengaged.

Sure hate missing the rally. Somebody will probably make a movie and sell it to HBO.

Jon Wehrenberg
04-13-2006, 01:48 PM
My GC always had round tires, even after 200,000 miles of towing.

Mike is right.