PDA

View Full Version : Locked in the coach!

ajhaig
10-21-2007, 07:07 PM
Here we go again...

We are locked in the coach! The only way to get out is to reach out the window and unlatch the door from the outside. The inside handle isn't working.

Has anyone ever had this problem?

How do I get the "button" things off the panel that covers the lock area?

Many thanks.

AJ

Jon Wehrenberg
10-21-2007, 07:10 PM
The button things are caps. Put a screw driver or a fingernail under them and they should pop off.

ajhaig
10-21-2007, 07:12 PM
Hey Jon,

Any idea why the inside door handle won't work? Do you think there is anything I can do if I take the panel off?

Thanks.

AJ

Joe Cannarozzi
10-21-2007, 07:55 PM
AJ

The linkage is either broke or one end of it has fallen off, maybe a broken end clip.

Those buttons snap off and then Phillips head screws are exposed.

First the inside handle has a small clip on the stem that you can snap off with a small standard screwdriver or even a pocket knife will push it off.

No different than removing a auto door panel.

Believe it or not that inside twist for the dead bolt is 125 bucks. We needed one ordered it and sent it back. I called Elgin thinking the price was an error and they offered to reduce the price to 75. It was sent back.

wrongagain
10-21-2007, 08:13 PM
Until we hear from AJ again, let me ask a question about the door air lock. Is there a way to release it from outside the coach.
thanks

dalej
10-21-2007, 08:21 PM
On ours if you turn off the batteries in the back (main disconnect) it disables the air lock.

When we are inside the bus to sleep, we use the manual lock, just in case a burglar knows about shutting down the batteries.

wrongagain
10-21-2007, 08:27 PM
I guess what I am asking is,...
Assume I am in the coach, with the air lock engaged, my wife is outside and wants to get back in, but, during her absence I dropped dead.
does she call someone with a large truck to tear the door off to get me out of the coach, before my dogs eat me, or is there a way to release the lock from outside the coach.

wrongagain
10-21-2007, 08:30 PM
I guess I have my answer before I got out the second question.
thanks I will try it to see.

Petervs
10-21-2007, 08:38 PM
The same problem Andrew has has happened to us, only the outside handle would not work either. In our Marathon you need a phillips screwdriver and an allen wrench to get access to the lock mechanism. All of those were in my toolbox in one of the lower bays.

We drove 400 miles home locked inside. All the comforts of course, but it was a little weird.

Upon arriving home, some judicious jiggling of the handles popped the lock open.

The mechanism had broken inside, and a local locksmith replaced it for a very small fee. I now carry the needed tools inside the coach, just for that eventuality.

PS:This happened on about our third or fourth outing after purchasing the bus, so I wrote this story up in a humorous way and submitted it to the Marathon Club for their newsletter/magazine. They had asked for people to write in. But it was rejected, because it was not in keeping with the proper "Marathon Style" where everything always works perfectly and there is never ever a glitch of any sort.

Joe Cannarozzi
10-21-2007, 08:43 PM
Dale, how did you find that out?

dalej
10-21-2007, 08:58 PM
Joe, one time when I was working on the coach, the door was open and I had pressed on some of the buttons by accident, I think I was laying the carpet, not sure. I had turned the batteries on to do something else and the door air lock was applied, the door wouldn't shut.

Joe Cannarozzi
10-21-2007, 09:02 PM
I figured it was something odd. Nice to know and I'm gonna try it.

ajhaig
10-21-2007, 09:17 PM
Marathon and Prevost 24 hr support techs think the strike pin needs to be replaced... ???

wrongagain
10-21-2007, 09:33 PM
I am going to say I have serious doubts that that pin has anything to do with the problem, unless it has a 1/2" groove in it.
for every action there should be a reaction.
move the lever and see what it isnt doing.
there should be an obvious chain of events that happen in order for it to release.
is there a rod moving that isnt causing the next part in the chain to move.

wrongagain
10-21-2007, 09:38 PM
what parts are moving when you do it from outside, they should be moving the same parts when you do it from inside

Gary & Peggy Stevens
10-22-2007, 09:34 AM
When we are inside the bus to sleep,

Dale, I didn't think you ever slept? WORK WORK WORK :confused: :)

Gary S.

dalej
10-22-2007, 09:36 AM
Gary...;);)

Jerry Winchester
10-22-2007, 11:18 AM
Peter,

Could you post the lock story on this board? I actually think that you are on to something here.

Maybe at the next rally we need to have a "Case History" session where we get folks who have had experiences like this to describe them, include photos or illustrations and show how they resolved the issue or fixed the problem.

This could include;

(1) Being locked in the coach w/ air lock explanation and photos of the locking mechanism and how it all works

(2) What happens when the "Check Engine Light" or "Shutdown Engine Light" comes on and use of the DDEC "Override" function

(3) The OTR AC stops - Where the circuit breakers are and why this is the first place to look.

(4) When the flapper on your crapper won't stay shut - the quick fix that doesn't include Saran Wrap over the bowl to keep the funk out of the coach

(5) How to find the remote black water valve switches before you dump a loo load on the road.

(6) The Low Beer Light - emergency procedures when you find yourself in a dry county.

Chris and Debbie Yates
10-22-2007, 12:24 PM
Hey Jerry,should Chris and I feel paranoid ?,we seem to resemble those remarks!!!:o

win42
10-22-2007, 03:05 PM
Jerry @ Tulsa RV got a phone call from a women that said their dog hit the interior lock switch and locked them out. Her husband was going to break a window to gain access. Jerry told her to turn off both main battery switches and turn them back on. The door lock was reset and opened.

Just Plain Jeff
10-22-2007, 03:47 PM
You can get into any XL or XLV with just a putty knife.

Darl-Wilson
10-22-2007, 03:54 PM
My grandkids were playing with the switches near the coach door and apparently pushed the air lock switch. A little later I started the engine and went outside the coach, closing the door behind me. Shortly thereafter I tried to open the door and discovered the door airlock was set. Not problem, I had another set of keys. Well, the other set of keys did not include the keys for the engine doors. Breaking the window did cross my mind but I finally called a locksmith. He was unable to open the door where the 12v & 24v switches are located but was able to open the rear doors. Ultimately I was able to reach the switches with a long stick and recycle them to get my door open. Needless to say I now have extra keys outside the coach in case this happens again. :p

As for JDUB's comment on the toilet flapper valve. I never though of Saran Wrap! Last weekend a hand lotion bottle tumbled into the toilet breaking or dislocating the flapper valve. I placed some moistened TP over the hole to prevent the odor from entering the coach. Smart, I thought until we returned to the locked coach to discover warm temperatures had started the exhaust fan in the bathroom. This of course pulled fresh air in from the outside vent into the black water holding tank and out the toilet that had drying TP flapping in the wind. Nice odor, kinda like the old outdoor crap houses! Now if Jerry will just explain how to replace the toilet flapper I will put that on my agenda of things to do this weekend.:(

ajhaig
10-22-2007, 06:38 PM
Well... Pulled into USA Coach service center in downtown San Francisco.

A guy came out with the biggest pair of Vice-Grips I've ever seen (Jon, it's on my list of tools to buy) and twisted part of the lock... Problem solved, no charge! Got a quick wash and we were off.

We pulled into the San Francisco RV Resort in Pacifica before 3:00 p.m.

Thanks again.

AJ

P.S. Is this what they mean when they say "expect a close neighbor?"

truk4u
10-22-2007, 08:57 PM
Darl,

If your toilet is a Microphor, you will have to remove the toilet to get to the flapper box in order to replace the flapper. Not a bad job, but I had the luxury of doing it at home in my garage. Here is what it looks like removed:

Looking inside from the bottom, the black box houses the flapper

Flapper with attached actuating arm

Darl-Wilson
10-22-2007, 09:06 PM
I am not sure of the brand name of this toilet Tom but I am sure they are all similar. If I am lucky it will just be a missing pin, etc. If not I will be ordering parts. I want to go to Twin Lakes by Bridgeport,CA for the last time this season for some German Brown fishing. If I don't get this fixed right away I might be using the JDUB Plastic Wrap trick! I sure appreciate your help and the fine pictures.

dalej
10-22-2007, 09:09 PM
Tom but I am sure they are all similar.

NOT EXACTLY! ...that is why POG is so great!

garyde
10-22-2007, 10:25 PM
Here we go again...

We are locked in the coach! The only way to get out is to reach out the window and unlatch the door from the outside. The inside handle isn't working.

Has anyone ever had this problem?

How do I get the "button" things off the panel that covers the lock area?

Many thanks.

AJ

The big question ; What do you do in case of Fire or emergeny to exit the bus if your front door is jammed. My windows fold open so we have a total of four windows we can exit out. Make sure your kids know what to do in case you are not near by as well. Gary

dalej
10-22-2007, 10:39 PM
Gary, the way I have understood that issue, there is a pull ring on the side windows that you can pull the filler strip out and push the window out to get out. I have that on mine.

tdelorme
10-22-2007, 10:51 PM
Come on now AJ, we don't won't to see pictures without the kids.:)
And, I'm thinking with the neighbor parked part way over on your site like that, well it think that permits you to idle for as long as you need to warm her up before heading out. Don't do it, but it sure would be tempting.

Jon Wehrenberg
10-23-2007, 06:57 AM
Great pictures and nice location. When I saw the proximity of the rigs I thought of the RV park in downtown San Francisco, Beverly Beach FL, a typical Liberty rally in Stuart......

rfoster
10-24-2007, 08:32 PM
Not too crowded this time of year.
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g31/parkwayautoofbristol/CIMG3454.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g31/parkwayautoofbristol/CIMG3450.jpg

A POG First? Pics of the Atlantic and Pacific in the same week.

What was really neat was the thunderous sound and earth shaking when the shuttle launched from Cape Kennedy. It is hard to see the cameraman must have been shaking.
[IMG]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g31/parkwayautoofbristol/CIMG3458.jpg