PDA

View Full Version : And the questions begin ....

Ray Davis
10-16-2007, 11:24 AM
Well, you would think that previously owning a CC would equip one to know *everything* about a Marathon. Well it doesn't!

Simple question, probably for the Marathon owners on the site, but I'll take any thoughts.

I brought the new bus back to the hangar last night. First time "putting it away", where it will probably sit for at least a couple of weeks before I get time to work on things.

It's plugged in to 50A service, but I turned off everything I could find. Inverter/chargers are on, and should probably be in "float" by now (was charging at time I was at hangar).

The thing that has me wondering is lights on the drivers left-hand control panel. The bottom left light, which is the "panel light" button is illuminated all the time (it seems). It's lighted dimly, along with a red light indicating that generator is in auto-start mode.

Also, on the door outside, there is a green light which circles the key slot.

Obviously, these are not a lot of draw, but shouldn't there be a way to completely turn off that lighting panel, and the doorway key indicator?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Ray

Jon Wehrenberg
10-16-2007, 12:47 PM
Ray I can't help you on the lights, but I'll bet there is a switch. We have a switch light master that lets us turn off all the lights to the switch pads.

What caught my eye was leaving the coach in auto-start. Was that a typo? If it is true I urge you consider the impact of the generator running inside a building. I suspect that if it should run while inside the hangar, the hangar and likely the inside of the coach will get sooting everywhere, and worse the sooting and smell could enter the coach, even if it is closed up.

Ray Davis
10-16-2007, 12:53 PM
Good point. The bus was configured that way when I received it, and I haven't mucked with anything. It's plugged in, so I would hope the generator would not run, but ...

I'll have to check what documentation I do have, but it appears the auto-gen function is set as part of the Trace inverters. On my CC, it was a separate switch I had to hit.

Might be time to contact Marathon and see?

Ray

jack14r
10-16-2007, 01:36 PM
Ray,When I had a Marathon(JDUBS) I always checked the inverter menus to verify line voltage and current whenever I plugged in.The trace inverter has a generator menu that will start the generator if the battery voltage drops to 21.8 (I think that is the right number)there are also other criteria that will start the generator.I never found a switch that would get rid of the parasitic load on the bus batteries so I added a 1.5 amp charger.You will like the trace inverter menu's when you get familiar with them.You can set charge rate and time,maximum current incoming,generator start and stop,etc.if you mess it up you can go back to the factory settings.Jack

MangoMike
10-16-2007, 02:33 PM
Ray,

That button left switch will turn off the backlight for the button switches.

I leave mine on auto start (which is controlled by switches on the Trace) as I share my space with a couple of other guys, who have switched off my bus at the panel by mistake. So if the generator does need to start, the numb nuts (JDUB's term), to keep up the batteries, they know to call me before they're asphxiated (sp).

You need to learn/experiment with the Trace, as JAck said there are a lot of options going on.

Mike

Ray Davis
10-16-2007, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the responses, everyone.

FYI, I contacted Marathon tech-support, just to see what they would say. Here's the summary of their response:

1. The driver panel light will always be on. It's designed to stay on 24/7. It can be perhaps disabled by turning off battery connects externally, but that would also kill charging etc.

2. Same for the light on the door. Turns out that's the doorbell, not the key (ok, it was dark when I saw it!)

3. They did suggest turning off the auto-gen function, and walked me through that (seems trivial).

4. They suggested that I not engage the battery disconnects (either coach or house), but leave them as is. They indicated the engine batteries WILL drain after a period of a few weeks because of DDEC and ATEC drain regardless of disconnects. They indicated that is why they provide the "jump start" button, to allow house batteries to start engine.

5. One thing I didn't have to worry about with my 8v92 was belt tension (it was all manual), was to wait at least 5 seconds after turning key to on position before starting coach. This is to pressurize the belt tension system.

6. They also indicated that IF the Prevost air system were totally drained, then I could turn a valve in panel under the driver, which would join the Marathon aux air system to the Prevost system to air up the tensioners. Evidently, the aux compressor is generally not turned off in normal usage!

Anyway, I thought I'd pass that on.

Ray

MangoMike
10-16-2007, 03:52 PM
6. They also indicated that IF the Prevost air system were totally drained, then I could turn a valve in panel under the driver, which would join the Marathon aux air system to the Prevost system to air up the tensioners. Evidently, the aux compressor is generally not turned off in normal usage!

If you find this valve can you post a pix.

Thanks

Mike

jello_jeep
10-16-2007, 04:58 PM
On mine, if aux air is low, the the tensioners are slack, I just hit the air comp switch on the panel, and it fires up snugs up the belts before startup.

I always throw both disconnects from the engine batts when storing.

rbeecher
10-16-2007, 05:07 PM
Mike,

I second that, would be great to have a picture.

Ray, thanks for asking all those questions so I didn't have to! What is the procedure for turning off the auto gen?.

Barbara and I are going through withdrawl as Marathon has had our new bus since 10/2, they are finishing up some PDI details, we hope to have it back in a week or two.

Speaking of pictures ...

Richard Beecher
2002 Marathon XLII 45
1996 Vogue XL 40 FOR SALE currently at Marathon Fl

Ray Davis
10-16-2007, 05:35 PM
I don't have the coach close, but will try to get out within the next week or so. It was described as a yellow valve, in the bay under the driver.

As for the auto-gen setting. On your inverter control panel is a green button (far right side). Pressing this button brings up the auto-gen status in the display. Continue pressing that button until the carot is under the "off" label.

Do not hit the red switch, as this is the inverter controls, and "off" there turns off the entire inverter (and charger)

Jeep, in my coach there was no aux compressor switch (at least that I've seen or found). The tech indicated to me that should the Prevost air be completely drained from primary and secondary tanks, that the tension stuff would not pump up, unless air from the aux system were introduced into the main system via the aforementioned valve. Sounds like it's a bit different on your coach.

Ray

Jerry Winchester
10-16-2007, 05:47 PM
Ray,

The only way I know to disable the aux air compressor is to pull the breaker in the panel just above the inverters.

I wouldn't worry about the light.

I would worry about powering down the coach. I did that all the time on my Royale because it was simple and nothing adverse would happen. I don't think that is the case with the Marathon, so power is good.

I also didn't reset the auto start function on the generator. My coach sits in a hanger with folks there 24/7, so the standing instructions is, if you hear the generator start, call me.

Joe Cannarozzi
10-16-2007, 06:44 PM
Ray I don't think I like the notion of not worrying about the chassis batteries going down just because of the jump start switch option when they do.

Everyone is aware it is not desirable to deep cycle, deep cycle batteries, much less start batteries.

Why wouldn't Marathon, knowing this, include a trickle charger?

I'd sure get one.

Ray Davis
10-16-2007, 06:54 PM
Strangely enough Joe, they indicated to me that they had tried various 24v trickle chargers, and had damaged batteries using them.

I have a 24v regular charger that I think I'll throw on the bus every couple of weeks, when I'm not using it.

Jerry, your observation matches what I've seen. No "regular" switch for the aux compressor, only the circuit breaker on the panel.

Ray

jack14r
10-16-2007, 07:28 PM
Ray,Mine had a aux compressor 12 volt breaker above the inverters in the bedroom in the 12 volt panel.

Ray Davis
10-16-2007, 08:03 PM
Ray,Mine had a aux compressor 12 volt breaker above the inverters in the bedroom in the 12 volt panel.

Exactly what I'm seeing. My CC had a switch in the first bay, while the Marathon only has a breaker on the breaker on the electrical panel.

truk4u
10-16-2007, 09:21 PM
Ray,

I know yours is an XL2, but I'm real confused on the air system. They must have made some serious changes. On the XL's, the aux air controlled the accessories and belts and now your saying there is a way to get air out of the brake tanks to supplement the aux for belt bellows?:confused: The aux compressor and system should be completely independent of the brake tanks.

hhoppe
10-16-2007, 09:22 PM
One more time: Use "Battery Tenders" They won't over charge your batteries. They come in 12V and 24V. I store my coach with one of each Tender connected after the main power switches are turned off. All of the Tech's at POG IV agreed my method was sound and I should continue.