PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk horns...

dalej
10-14-2007, 09:08 PM
I have talked to Jim Malcom from Prevost about horns. I didn't know that bus's come with electric horns and then the converter adds air horns.

I'm wondering if any of you guys have a switch to go from air to electric. My electric horns are under the front right, under the steps, you can see them looking up behind the bumper in a cavity.

Mine don't switch but would like to set them up that way since my air horns quit on the Branson trip. I found it was the electric solenoid was stuck, works now but will replace.

VegasDogMan
10-15-2007, 12:18 AM
Not sure exactly what you're asking... My 97 Liberty has a switch on the dash that les me use the Electric honk honk or Air HONK HONK.

Switch is labeled Horn Select.

Jon Wehrenberg
10-15-2007, 06:40 AM
Dale....it would have been so easy to pick on you for not knowing this, but Truk and I went nuts in Branson trying to figure out what the black plastic thing was in his steer compartment with wires going to it.

I'm just a poor Liberty guy with an old bus and electric horns that look like they came out of an old Pontiac, but we found out guys that drive new CC buses have these big honkin horns that don't even look like horns that are pointed at the ground. I'll bet your electric horns look like mine.

Like the Vegas man my coach came with a switch. toot, toot or toot toot.

Will Garner
10-15-2007, 08:15 AM
I'd really like to have a horn aimed to each side with a selector switch. That way when one of those bothersome little boom boxes sit beside you you could at least fight back! I never looked for a switch on the old CC. I'll have to go look in the books and see if I have one.

Question, anyone know where to find a train whistle run on compressed air?

truk4u
10-15-2007, 08:18 AM
Dale,

The push button on my steering wheel operate both horns. Push lightly and you get the electric beep,beep and push hard and you get the air horns beep, beep.

dalej
10-15-2007, 08:50 AM
Thanks guys, I will check it out some more.

Jon Wehrenberg
10-15-2007, 10:43 AM
Will,

Try here for your horns:

http://www.hornblasters.com/products/category.php?class=1

mike kerley
10-15-2007, 10:59 AM
For train horns, check around a well populated interstate exit. If you see several truck stops, you'll most likely find a dealer selling all kinds of stuff for trucks including train horns.

Many of our buses have musical horns which have two horn shaped speakers mounted up front (usually behind the bumper) and most point down.

Our CC does not have the Liberty (that would have added $3.00 to the cost, $200.00 to the selling price) selector switch. Tap lightly for electric horns, hit it hard for the four roof mounted air horns.

Mike

dalej
10-15-2007, 11:11 AM
Jon, while at the hornblasters web site, go to letters and then hate mail, some really mad people out there.

Jon Wehrenberg
10-15-2007, 11:17 AM
Wow, those folks that send hate mail are to be feared.

I guess it's not enough to just ignore the product or company. These psychos want to kill somebody.

Will.....before you put those horns on your coach you need to read the letters.

Will Garner
10-15-2007, 12:46 PM
I live next door to Fort Bragg. I guess my next stop will be military surplus. Maybe they some 50 cal guns laying around.

It is a shame that a ligitimate product falls into the hands of irresponsible and sicko people.

I lived on Long Island New York for several years. I had some Brazilians for neighbors. Came home from the city on evening and there was a mega watt sixteen year old birthday party going on. The walls of my house (no air conditioning) were actually vibrating. Called and spoke to neighbor. I got the you can't do anything until after 10:00 PM. Well that was not quite accurate. I had a 1974 H-D Superglide with a 2 into 1 banana exhaust. I placed it next to the fence and locked the throttle at 2,000 rpm. The next call came from the neighbor. He wanted me to turn off my noise. I told him come 10:00 PM I'd gladly return the H-D to the garage, otherwise if he wanted it quiet earlier then he had to off his noise.

Sometimes you just got to stand up and fight fire with fire.

Thanks for the website. Yes there are some disturbing letters on both the fan as well as the hate mail side of the horns. I'll just stick to the train whistle, after all steam has been gone from the rails since the late 1950's.

Joe Cannarozzi
10-15-2007, 07:21 PM
Imagine how bad you could scare someone who was going around down RR crossing gates:eek:

Ray Davis
10-15-2007, 07:22 PM
I don't know if you guys remember at POG3 in Kerrville, but someone there had a magnificent RR whistle on their coach. Ken Zittrer has a pretty good one, but compared to this other coach?!! Wow!

garyde
10-15-2007, 11:35 PM
My Liberty has a RR whistle. It is air operated, and I have a Pull at the front dash. It is not overly loud and sounds like an old 1800's whistle.

Will Garner
10-16-2007, 08:50 AM
Joe,

Anyone going around RxR gates that are down is beyond the point of being scared. We did a demonstration for Operation Lifesaver where the ACWR ran into an old Oldsmobile 88 at a staged crossing. The train consist was one locomotive (GP 38-2) a couple of unloaded cars and a caboose. The train was running about 10 miles per hour. The result was not very pretty. There is likely video of the demonstration somewhere out in cyber space.

Ray,

Did you get the name of the whistle manufacturer?

Ray Davis
10-16-2007, 12:25 PM
Ray,

Did you get the name of the whistle manufacturer?

Sorry, I did not. But perhaps Ken Zittrer did?

dalej
10-30-2007, 10:12 AM
I have both horns working now. When I got in the bus electric horn area, the wires were unhooked so just the air horns worked. I hooked the wires back up and then both air and electric horns worked at the same time when the horn button was pressed. So I hooked the electric horns to a spare switch on the driver console, (there are three). I removed the switch and made it a momentary switch by moving the spring wire inside the switch. It works great, now I have loud air horns and softer electric horns.

jonnie
10-30-2007, 11:19 AM
Dale,

I think horns are like Harleys, they are mean't to be loud. Loud horns save lives.

Jerry Winchester
10-30-2007, 02:50 PM
Will,

You can get a 50 cal without going to the military and you can teach your kids how to fend off the neighbors....