PDA

View Full Version : Redwood trip?

ajhaig
10-13-2007, 01:14 AM
We are going to head to CA and would like to see the Redwoods in northen CA.

We are thinking about cutting over to the coast at Grants Pass in Oregon (US route 199) and then going south on US 101.

Has anyone done this trip in their bus? What are the roads like? What is the best way to get back to Interstate 5 without going back to Grants Pass?

Many thanks.

AJ

hhoppe
10-13-2007, 05:46 AM
AJ: Not knowing where you are starting from is difficult, but I'll assume your still in Washington or Portland.Travel down the Oregon Coast to Brookings, OR. Then down hwy. 101 in Ca. to Benbow where you will find a nice RV park. You can travel a short distance back north from Benbow by tow car into the Redwoods. Traveling South from there you can travel Hiway one through San Francisco to an RV Park in Pacifica. or cross the San Rafiel bridge to Richmond and head for Yosimite. Have fun drive safe. Any further info needed you can reach me on my cell @ 530-277-5534.

gmcbuffalo
10-13-2007, 10:28 AM
I did the Hwy 199 a few years back. It is doable, steep and windy in places. The 101 throught the Redwoods is again Okay but at times the road seems narrow, so keep your eyes on the Road. I didn't take any of the side roads like old Hwy 101 through Pepperwood or such places, for fear of getting into problems. If your are touring the area and not just driving through I would chances it. At one time you could stay right off the Hwy along the coast just south of Orick, CA. They may still let you do it but charge a fee.

Reporting from Vietnam
GregM

Petervs
10-13-2007, 01:04 PM
Hi Andrew,
Yes, you should do that! You can go from Grants Pass to the coast, then follow 101 south into California and cut back to I-5 to meet it at Redding. You will have a wonderful drive, see lots of beauty, but be prepared for slow going. The roads are windy and it will take much longer to cover the distance than you expect.

The National Park campgrounds are old and too small for the bus, but there are plenty of alternatives.

We did it in our bus a few years ago and had a wonderful time.

Jon Wehrenberg
10-13-2007, 02:37 PM
We did the route northbound starting in SF years back. It was twisty, it was slow, but it was a fabulous drive. We pulled over often just to be able to take it all in.

Joe Cannarozzi
10-13-2007, 05:59 PM
Now that is what it's all about. We can't wait till we are doing that.

Don't be shy AJ we want pictures.

You folks are covering ground so quickly you'll have to go back and do it a second time:cool:

ajhaig
10-14-2007, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the input... We are in Seattle now, we've lucked out and had some good weather in the Pacific Northwest, it's beautiful!

Yesterday we went to the San Juan Islands (without the bus)... breathtaking!

We are going to visit the Boeing plant tomorrow and then we'll put the compass on SOUTH! I think we may take US 101 down to the San Francisco area & slow down our pace a bit.

Thanks again.

AJ

dalej
10-14-2007, 03:20 PM
Keep the photos coming AJ, it's just like we are there!

Ray Davis
10-15-2007, 02:05 PM
Nice looking park (above). Which park is it?

ajhaig
10-16-2007, 12:08 AM
Ray,

Pacific Shores (Outdoor Resorts), Newport Oregon, nice spot.

Marathon has an ownership interest in Pacific Shores and they comped us with a couple of days after our recent service visit.

AJ

Joe Cannarozzi
10-16-2007, 01:45 AM
Did you get the webesto straightened out? What did you find out about the tach and RPM's?

Ray Davis
10-16-2007, 11:35 AM
AJ,

Thanks for the info!