PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Yer Air System C-L-E-A-N

Just Plain Jeff
10-07-2007, 05:12 PM
Of the many things learned during POG IV was to keep your coach's air system c-l-e-a-n. From a preventative maintenance point of view, the entire air system, from the engine through the tanks should be drained of water and any residual oil at least once a year. It is normal to accumulate same during the course of use, according to the pros.

Well, guess what.

Here at Camp Prevost in Nashville is a fella with a 96 coach, and to the best of his knowledge, has never had his air system cleaned since new. He's here because the front end of his coach has dropped, has already spent a bunch of money elsewhere swapping out valves without a fix. When the tech at wherever-he-was-along-the-way, pulled an air valve, the owner noted the line was filled with gunk.

Armed with the new knowledge from POG IV, asked him the question and he said, "I betchya that was the problem. Maybe all my valves and air dryer are filled up!" Maybe so.

Undoubtedly, as folks drift back home this may be a thread of more merit than I can contribute, but it sure makes sense to put the air tanks/air dryer on the list for the annual maintenance (at least) to stay ahead of potential problems down the road.

Thanks to the experts for coming into POG IV and teaching all of us so much!

MangoMike
10-08-2007, 11:01 AM
JPJ,

An added air note that I wasn't aware of is to completely drain the tanks of all air. I was just opening the valve and when I didn't see any moisture, closing it. According to the techs the best method is to completely drain them.

This POG rally was one of the best when it came to techinical advice. Rick May from Parliament never stopped dispensing criticial information. Bill from Prevost (motherland) was a nice touch, actually having someone from the factory who has had a 20 year history with the company and was extremely informative. Doug, owner of Excalibur Coach, was on hand to give his perspecitive and advice. It's one thing to read about these companies on the POG/Stuff sites, but when you get a chance to meet them in person and pick their brains it's a whole new ballgame.

Mike

Jon Wehrenberg
10-08-2007, 11:19 AM
I agree with Mike. Due to the ratio of owners to tech guys we were immersed in the learning process at this rally, and while the ladies may not have been involved in that, we guys brought away a lot of knowledge from this rally.

MangoMike
10-08-2007, 12:10 PM
I forgot to mention that Jon's demonstration of the bus/air/suspension/braking system reached new heights with his AirBoard 2.0 display piece. Complete with all Norgren Valves and controls. Very Impressive and further helped to de-mystify the complex air systems in our busses.

Will post a pix as soon as I find my camera... Trukster???

Mike

MangoMike
10-09-2007, 09:05 AM
Jon's AirBoard ver 2.0

The man never does anything half...

MIke

phorner
10-09-2007, 02:32 PM
Now THAT'S cool !!!

Gary & Peggy Stevens
10-09-2007, 02:40 PM
Jon, your set up of the onboard air system looked great.

I wish I could have been there to get the hands on details of the system, and its overall operation on the bus.

Please bring it to the next rally if at all possible, there will be a lot of us at the next rally that want to see your demo, some of them for the second time?

Gary S.

Jon Wehrenberg
10-09-2007, 02:58 PM
I was planning to do it again in Sevierville and maybe Pahrump. I'm still learning and Bill Jensen was essential.

Just Plain Jeff
10-11-2007, 04:59 PM
On the topic of keeping one's air system clean, I was reminded by a little fairy that in the case of those who are full-timers or use their coaches a lot, the auxiliary air compressor may introduce a fair amount of water into the air system. Many aux air compressors don't have a 'spitter' valve, which collects air going into the aux compressor.

You can put a spitter valve on an aux air compressor in some cases, especially those with the compressor in the bay under the pilot seat.

A clean air system is a happy air system.

JIM CHALOUPKA
04-29-2010, 09:41 AM
More for scott.

Maybe our illustrious moderator could combine these related threads. ????

JIM

sawdust_128
04-29-2010, 10:11 AM
JPJ,

An added air note that I wasn't aware of is to completely drain the tanks of all air. I was just opening the valve and when I didn't see any moisture, closing it. According to the techs the best method is to completely drain them.

Mike

I'll add to that. I ran a considerable number of compressors and air tools in my shop. The central system had many spitters and water/oil cleaners. On several systems I ran dessicant dryers as well. The techs that serviced this when there were issues I coundn't fix were a great source of info. Evedryone of them said exactly the same thing about water in any air system. BAD!! They insisted that you not only do as Mango stated, but they added that to really purge the system, compressors had to be running for 15 minutes with the drains open. This pushed out all the water and as the compressor warmed, the heat helped dry any water remaining in the system.