PDA

View Full Version : How Many Does it Take

dale farley
10-02-2007, 09:47 PM
Can you can figure out how many it takes to repair a latch on JDUB's bus? More than six.

Jerry Winchester
10-02-2007, 11:26 PM
I think there were three working, three drinking beer and one or two not present that were running for parts or tools.

This is what happens when a small adjustment turns into an all afternoon job. More parts tomorrow and the job will finish.

garyde
10-02-2007, 11:29 PM
It started with Jdub changing a light bulb but things were just not quite perfect.

Loc
10-03-2007, 08:50 AM
Another JBUB work-cation???

Jerry Winchester
10-04-2007, 11:30 PM
The real story is Kevin Erion and I started out to adjust the engine doors (one wouldn't quite latch closed). We got the doors all squared up and noticed the latch didn't quite hit the striker. I attempted to loosen the striker pin so we could reposition it and it promptly snapped off.

Now we have to drill it and I go get some easy outs to pull the stub out. Nothing doing. We end up beating the whole assembly out of the dang thing and call Prevost for parts.

Parts come the next day, we install said parts and guess what? It isn't the striker out of sync, it is the latching mechanism. We pull it off and clean it with brake cleaner and it won't even move. A little love tap with the screwdriver and out pops the ends of two pop rivets, which had bound the latch mechanism up.

We remove the FOD, lube it up and reinstall for a perfect fit.

Thanks to all involved in the project.

phorner
10-05-2007, 08:23 AM
Wow... Sounds like quite a project. Usually the direction my "adjustments" go.

Seems like it's always the "no problem, it'll be EASY" projects that turn into major challenges.