PDA

View Full Version : DDEC and other code readers

jimblu
09-29-2007, 02:56 PM
Hi, I'm a new member, I inquired earlier about engine code readers and VMSPC, and in the responses was asked to tell how it worked if I bought one....

Silverleaf electronics sells the reader for their glass dash that shows on a laptop instead of their $$$$$$ panel, for $395.

It works with my DDEC 2 and any later elecronic engine from all manufacturers, and gives a dashboard like display with all the electronic info that a more expensive code reader gives one line at a time, in a form that you can use going down the road.

On the DDEC 2 I get temperature and pressure, Turbo boost, volts, GPH, MPH, fuel totalizer, throttle position, cruise setting and more.

Out of the box I learned my tach reads 100-150 high at max, my oil pressure is better than the gauge shows, I burn 10 GPH at 65 miles per hour and a lot more. On the DDEC 2 I do not get odometer, but they say some software magic might get that too.

It is less expensive than a code reader on ebay, and it works on any engine.

I hope you don't mind the unabashed plug, but having paid real money to get a shop to read my codes previously, I am impressed with the product. It takes minimal computer skill and their telephone support was great

Jim

Darl-Wilson
09-29-2007, 03:34 PM
Jim, do you have a website for this company? What other type of information is available for this reader? When you wrote that it is adaptable to any vehicle I assume you mean passenger cars as well as large diesel vehicles. Thanks for your contribution. Will you be coming to any of the Rallies planned in the next year?

Darl:D

Just Plain Jeff
09-29-2007, 03:36 PM
Jim:

Welcome to the POG forum! You will soon find out that quickly enough that on this forum just about any new information is more than welcome to be shared with the members.

If can find a way to do so, get yourself to Branson ASAP and join in! This rally should be, well, 'memorable.'

Thanks for the info.

jimblu
09-29-2007, 07:11 PM
http://www.silverleafelectronics.com

I didn't want to come on like an advertisement. They told me they are looking for new markets beside OEM.

Can't make the rally, joined too recently to work it into our plans. My loss.

It works on large diesels, don't know about diesel cars, I use Scangauge.com on OBD2 cars. That gives similar information including MPG and GPH on any post 1995 or so car or pickup, gas, diesel, propane,even hybrid

Best wishes, really sorry Lois and I hadn't joined sooner and planned for the rally!

Jim

bill&jody
09-29-2007, 09:49 PM
oh jim, don't worry. there will be plenty more rallies ahead! are you on the east coast or west? or maybe in between.
looking forward to meeting you both!
jody (and bill)

Darl-Wilson
09-30-2007, 03:35 PM
Hey Jim, I found this link (http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2486094452/m/4751041582)
that expands a bit on the VMSpc (http://www.silverleafelectronics.com/?q=node/6) monitor that you purchased. Scroll to the bottom of the page to see how one owner of this device set up a permanent video monitoring station. I even found that I can set up my Garmin GPS to display on another monitor for my co-pilot. (my unlicensed wife) . I really appreciate your lead to this equipment. It is very impressive the wealth of information that can be garnered from this relatively inexpensive equipment. I am going to order one tomorrow and will report, along with you, the results to other POG members.:)

Darl

phorner
09-30-2007, 05:05 PM
For what it's worth, I owned a couple of Safari products in the past (1998 - 2002) and they were equipped with Silverleaf engine data monitors.

They were the precursor to what later became the Alladin system, which I believe was also developed in conjunction with SMC. There was some connection between Silverleaf and SMC but I forget the exact relationship.

I was impressed with the equipment and their support at rally's to up-grade software, provide installation, etc.