PDA

View Full Version : 32 Degrees... Webasto on the blink.

ajhaig
09-24-2007, 09:49 PM
We stayed at Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone for several days. Old Man Winter paid an early visit and our Webasto failed. It fires and runs for about 10 min. then shuts down. Things got pretty chilly with only one 110 heater (only 30 amp. service).

We are now at the Virginian RV Resort in Jackson, WY, and will be heading to Seattle in a few days... Where can I go to get the Webasto repaired or is there anything I can do to get it working?

We made the mistake of going over the Power River Pass on our way to Yellowstone, 22 miles of 7% grade - 9700 feet. Today we crossed the Continental Divide 5 times in the bus. I think I've had my fill of mountains for awhile. Many thanks for all the great input regarding getting up and down these mountains!

MangoMike
09-24-2007, 10:07 PM
AJ,

Read my primer on Webasto, The Good, Bad and the Ugly, over at Prevoman.

http://www.prevoman.com/Pages/Webasto/Webapage1.html

I'll be up until 11pm EST so call me tonight. Got to get my beauty sleep so that I look good for Trukman at POG IV.

Thanks

MIke

703.362.3539 cell

dalej
09-24-2007, 11:09 PM
AJ, first thing that come to mind is the circulation pump(s). If the Wabasto starts, runs through the cycle and then shuts down, it seems that it operational. If the circulation pump is not working, it can't keep the the hot water away from the sensor.

Jerry Winchester
09-24-2007, 11:10 PM
There is a mechanic in Idaho Falls that the guy at the Virginian turned me on to last year who's name I can't remember. There are a few RV folks around town, but the Webasto is not that common.

I would go thru Mike's commentary on the prevostman site and see if you can fix it yourself.

Petervs
09-25-2007, 01:29 AM
If you are still trying to get it working, and you happen to pass by here in Battle Ground, WA (just north of Portland OR) on the way to Seattle, I can offer you a place to park for a while ( with hookups) and my tools and assistance in repairing or finding parts or professional help.

Down here at sea level the Webasto is not yet necessary.

Feel free to call me if you like. 360-901-7611

jonnie
09-25-2007, 07:59 AM
Check all of your outside faucets and make sure they are closed. If one is open, say the outside sprayer is on, you will have porblems with the Webasto/Aqua Hot.
John

ajhaig
09-25-2007, 01:43 PM
Peter,

I'd like to take you up on your offer. We will be in your area for a while as we have family in Seattle and Portland. We'll keep these two characters under control...

I'll give you a call.

Andrew

Jon Wehrenberg
09-25-2007, 02:35 PM
AJ,

There are two things you can do immediately. Swing open the head and using a Q tip and some alcohol clean the photo cell. If the controls do not "see" flame the fuel delivery will be shut off.

As was suggested earlier verify the circulating pump is working when the Webasto is turned on. The burner stops at around 160 degrees. If the pump is not circulating coolant the water jacket will hit 160 degrees fairly quickly and that will shut down the burner.

There is not much to the Webasto so with Peter's help you should develop an understanding of it and also learn how to maintain it.

gmcbuffalo
09-27-2007, 01:02 AM
Check with the boat yards in Seattle or Portland especially Seattle. There is a major Webasto dealer there for the boat people.
GregM

gmcbuffalo
09-27-2007, 01:07 AM
Also Dick Wright of WRICO has the test box for Webastos that plugs in to the control box terminals. Dick is in Eugene, OR just off I-5 south of Eugene. You can also get the wiring schematic off the Webasto website and apply 12v DC to the terminals and you should get a response from the different conpoenets.
GregM